“Beyond great!”
Review of Hotel DeFuniak

Hotel DeFuniak
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I were looking for a romantic and quiet getaway. We expected something a little charming and affordable... But we were blown away with an unforgettable experience that we could only dream about before. As soon as we walked into the common room our eyes widened and jaws dropped while taking in a step backwards in time to a classy and homey hotel. Our policy sheet was even personalized with our names printed on the welcome letter. We were shown the wine bar (housed in a lovely study/library stocked with books they lent us for our stay). We stayed in the delux suite which was very spacious with cathedral ceilings, French doors and lovely windows. I was especially impressed with the antique and all matching furnishings from the 1920's. A private bathroom was a must for us, which is somewhat rare in a bed & breakfast. The sheets and bed were like heaven. And the room was certainly decorated with romance in mind. Breakfast was a delight and we were meticulously cared for by an entire family, even the innkeepers older children were there learning the business and helping out here and there. It was adorable. All of the staff knew how and when to strike up a conversation or leave us be. The owner Tom is an adventurous but humble man and he seems to always be naturally beaming. His great sense of humor and eagerness to serve in any capacity made us feel like family. We were intrigued with his scuba diving stories and took a great interest in a murder mystery event that Tom and his wife Pam (who owns an antique shop around the corner) were planning. Bogey's was the most delightful atmosphere. You are even more deeply swept back in time and again the staff was impeccable. Our server conversed with us about everything from dogs to shopping while handling our perfect multi course meal with ease. We spent one delightful day at Grayton Beach & Village - a very private and pristine beach that a nice gentleman innkeeper suggested. Another day we spent exploring Defuniak Springs- and so fell in love with the town that we wondered if we could move there. The negative to Hotel Defuniak was that we eventually had to depart, but we anticipate returning many times!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank TiffDav

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The thing that sticks with us most is the friendliness of the staff. Everyone bent over backwards to accommodate us. I am in a wheelchair and the room given to us was great in that it has a roll in shower and other amenities for someone in a wheelchair. All of the antiques are lovely and the lobby is beautiful. Also, breakfast staff just as kind and professional. Bogi's, next door, served us a great dinner. We will return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Hotel DeFuniak is beautiful and comfortable. Our stay was delightful and the entire innkeeping staff went out of their way to make us feel at home. The rooms are delightful and each has a different theme. A glass of wine in the wine bar prepared us for a wonderful dinner in Bogey's restaurant adjoining the hotel. Each morning we were served a different, delicious breakfast. The Hotel DeFuniak is a home away from home you don't want to miss!

Room Tip: One suite has a lovely, large bathroom and another has french doors dividing the bedroom from the si...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BnBgal
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Arrived for a one night stopover stay with my two teenage girls. Had expected to pay the additional $10 fee the website mentioned but Tom the owner explained that the king room I reserved could not accommodate three. He helpfully offered either the suite or two separate rooms. I wasn't expecting the additional expense but he gave me a good discount and because the girls are very well behaved I took the two room option....#2 for me and #8 just down the hall for them. Within minutes the girls were in my room showing me all kinds of websites referencing the hotel being haunted and particularly Room #8, once an aviary in the former Masonic Lodge building (emblems are still on the exterior of hotel....cool!) They of course feigned terror but interestingly enough, refused to switch rooms. :) I'm undecided about the existence of ghosts but it is easy to imagine them in this hotel. It's just that kind of place - oozing with ambiance and character and history. The furnishings are lovely, the high ceilings so charming, and unlike other reviewers, I hope the owners do not fix the peeling paint in the hallway - I think it adds to the authenticity.

Not much was shaking in this little town during our stay -- we walked around the unusually circular lake and the historic Brotherhood building, perused the Little Big General Store and the antique store, and ate dinner at Bogey's next door (it was pretty good; that's another review.) Apparently though, according to the super sweet kid in the general store, there are some big happenings for the 4th of July and in January for the Chitauqua (which has a very interesting background, as my 90 minute Internet surfing showed me. Look it up!)

Back to the hotel. Charming and lovely with comfy beds, somewhat thin walls so you can hear phones ringing in adjacent rooms, spotty Internet, breakfast of a waffle (good) and sausage (not), and overall a very pleasant stay. Now, if you're a person who prefers the anonymity of a big hotel, or might be uncomfortable chatting with the innkeepers...this hotel is not for you. If, however, you are open to stepping back in time to a simpler and more intimate experience, and being in lovely surroundings, Hotel Defuniak is a great way to do that. You might even get lucky and see a spirit. It wasn't to be for me or my Room 8 girls this time, but I will say that my iphone made me seriously wondering: it repeatedly faded to black while I was in the room, something it had never done before....nor since!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ronda h
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Hotel DeFuniak is a charming bed and breakfast. The entire establishment is beautifully decorated in antiques and traditional furnishings. Tom, the owner, who attends to guests' needs from staffing the front desk to cooking the full breakfast included in the room rate, could not possibly have been more attentive and hospitable. (Tom also prepares other meals in the lovely cafe in the Hotel DeFuniak.) The rates for lodging plus full cooked breakfast are extremely reasonable. Even though the purpose of my stay was a very stressful business trip, Tom's welcoming manner and the soothing atmosphere of Hotel DeFuniak made my stay extremely relaxing. Especially if you are looking for an alternative to the sterility and sameness of hotel chains, Hotel DeFuniak is an excellent choice.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 11, 2013

As a former airline pilot I have stayed at thousands of Hotels & Inns. Hotel Defuniak is truely a pleasureable experience that far exceeded my expectations. My level of personal attention and service can only be matched at a few resorts and spas around the world. The room was clean, cool, quiet and comfortable, the breakfast, over the top. Tom and Pam treat you like family. Can't wait to pass back through the panhandle of Florida for another chance to stay at this remarkable establishment.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have stayed at Hotel Defuniak four times in the past year. It was a great experience every time. I travel the panhandle for work and generally stay in business class hotels. This hotel was recommended to me by a colleague. Each time I go I get to stay in a different and interesting room. The Hat Room and the Oriental Room are my favorites. The beds are amazingly comfortable. The people who work in the hotel are so friendly and helpful. There is a great restaurant and bar "Bogeys" attached to the hotel and the owners and local patrons of that restaurant are friendly and fun. The best surprise is the home cooked breakfast served on china each morning. It is a hot gourmet breakfast and is different every time. I'm a very picky eater and have never left a scrap of food on the plate from these amazing breakfasts. They have also begun a morning room delivery coffee service which is very elegant. I love to stay in hotels where I earn points, but this hotel is such a treat that I would rather stay here than any other place when I am in the area. I highly recommend this hotel for any traveler who is staying in this area.

Room Tip: The corner rooms a re larger and have more windows. I have been told that room 8 is the most haunte...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business