“Dirty, ants, outdated, but good location”

Comfort Inn Oceanside
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Deerfield Beach
Tampa, Florida
“Dirty, ants, outdated, but good location”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Great location, fun pool for kids BUT a dirty hotel. This hotel was old, had ants in room, carpet was filthy, windows were dirty, drapes and decor very outdated, wall paper in hallway was torn and very dark. Changed rooms hoping to get a better room only to have the same issues.
The location is great. Close to downtown shops, bars with beach just a block or so away. Staff was extremely friendly but I would not stay again. Shame as this hotel has such potential.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank 2790Shannon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The hotel is old and very dated. The ONLY elevator makes loud noises that frightened me to ride it. The moldy smell in the room was overbearing. I did not know there was a $10/day parking fee. Learned my lesson, next time I'll stay at Wyndham

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank SFA_Mommy

Travelers are raving about these Deerfield Beach hotels

Key West, Florida, United States
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We checked in to the Comfort Inn Oceanside in Deerfield Beach around 7pm Friday, April 5th. I have a typical 4 yr old and an autistic 6 yr old. Their normal bedtime is 7:30pm so we got them fed and to bed as quickly as possible. We were staying there for a Surfers for Autism beach festival the next day. With two children and the mornings being hectic, I got in the tub to shave to eliminate having to do it in the morning. As I looked to the right to grab shaving cream, I noticed two used hypodermic needles on top of the toilet tank. I was absolutely shocked!!!
I promptly wrapped them up in a towel and took them to front desk clerk. I understood he would not be able to do anything, as it was late, except offer us a new room. I asked for a call from the manager in the morning. When I returned from our festival around 6pm I had not heard from anyone. I asked at the front desk if there was anyone I could speak with; I was led to the sales manager’s office. She said she had called my room. As a business owner I would have called every number I could locate due to the seriousness of this occurrence. I never saw my room light blinking.
The sales manager Gayle was less than accommodating!!! She was actually borderline rude and condescending. After reiterating my experience, she had yet to apologize much less offer any kind of discount. She even tried to say they “researched” the room’s last guests and they were diabetic. I didn’t know diabetics hid their needles and burned the ends. I tried to express again the absolute serious ramification in these findings; it didn’t seem to faze her one bit. She also felt the need to point out that we were staying on a group rate. What on earth does that have to do with anything? At that time she asked what it was I wanted her to do…..I expressed if had something like this happen at my establishment I would have immediately comp’d the stay and much more. She almost snickered. She then expressed she could offer us late check out at no cost. ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? With the possibility of one of my children (the needles were at their eye level) getting stuck with a potentially infected needle, I was offered late check out. She then added or we could do half off one night. At that time I resigned at the fact she did not have the business sense or authority to do anything further. I took the half of a night and requested call from the General Manager first thing Monday morning.
I never got a call and chose to call hotel Monday evening. I left a voicemail for Christina [--] the GM. She returned my call about thirty minutes later. I would like to say that she was just as appalled as I, apologetic, and demanding answers from staff, however it was just the opposite. She expressed much of the same attitude. She said she didn’t have the authority to comp any more without discussing it with the owner. She explained this location is an independently run franchise. She assured me she would call and get back to me the next day. I said I know how dealing with owners can be and said call me by the following day. She didn’t call the next day or the day after that. In fact the whole week went by and I finally called her. She frantically explained her own tale of personal woe. She again assured me she would call me back. She called the following Monday only to tell me the owners were playing “the hardline” and were not offering anything else besides the half off one night .
I politely said I would then take this up with the health department, social media, corporate namesake, and event coordinators.
Sad!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Maryann J
GMFL893, General Manager at Comfort Inn Oceanside, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
We can unfortunately not accept responsibility or police the habits of our guests when they are behind closed doors. That these needles were missed upon check out cleaning is only representative of the heinous nature of the guests who hid them. It is truly unfortunate that Trip Advisor was chosen as a medium to express upset over this very touchy incident. Our repeated apology and a refund of one night's stay, has not been deemed good enough. Despite our best efforts to work with the guest involved, we feel that posting this particular review was done to be malicious in nature and unforgiving of human error. This is truly an exremely unusual and isolated incident, never to be repeated.
Thornwood, New York
Reviewed April 4, 2013

After traveling since the early morning we asked if the room was ready at 12pm and were told to get some lunch and come back at 2pm which we did and room still was not ready- being beyond exhausted and no where to go my family and I proceded to the beach to wait. The wind was cold but the sun was brutally strong I guess because we all passed out for an hour or so and were burnt soo badly that the next day we had to take my daughter to the doctor to help with the pain , she could not walk. I wanted to leave but the front desk said that I had already paid and it was too bad not even a medical reason mattered. But to really top it off was the same front desk woman told my family as we slowly tried to walk out the nex morning she said " sunblock sunblock sunblock" I contained myself but we were only in this pain an suffering because we could not get our sunblock out of our luggage as intended!!!!! the elevator is beyond slow and only one, and the mold mildew smell in hall and one of our rooms was bad we had to keep window open. By the way the housekeeping staff starts knocking on the door by 9am but cant clean the rooms by 2?

Room Tip: at the Wyhndam
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta
Reviewed March 4, 2013

A/C would not cool & fan would not turn off. Limited channel selection on TV. One elevator that feels "questionable" to serve 5 floors. It was dirty & the room did not feel clean. Free breakfast is poor quality. Paid approx. $195 for this! Never again. This is a hotel in need of remodeling. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank CA333
GMFL893, General Manager at Comfort Inn Oceanside, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
We hate to disappoint our guests, and it seems that we did so in your case. Please accept our apologies and know that your review has allowed us to provide better service to our guests by making changes where neccessary.
Mahwah, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Our recent stay at this AAA 3-diamond hotel was very pleasant. The location is tops, giving the impression that this Deerfield Beach area is a true resort - one block from the beach and a few blocks from the main restaurants and shops. Although the single elevator rattled a little, the hotel structure seemed well maintained and in good shape. Our room was quite decent and the bedding was comfortable. The continental breakfast was nothing special, although there were a few hot items. Never got to try the swimming pool, although it looked inviting.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Halmstad, Sweden
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We booked with a sea view and the so-called Wet bar, which means you have a small sink, microwave and refrigerator in the room. Our room (406) did have a sea view, but it was obscured partially by trees and buildings.

The heated pool was ok and even if only one of water slides worked our five year old liked it.
The pool bar is open from 16 Tuesday to Sunday and you do not need to be a guest to enjoy a drink and a swim.

The hotel is clean and has nice staff, but may need a facelift.
Parking costs $ 10 per day, and late check-out will cost $ 35.
Breakfast is included and it is quite ok. There is coffee, pancakes, fried eggs, hamburger meat, cereals, milk, small yogurts, boiled eggs, bread, etc.

The beach is 200 meters away and it is also close to fast food, restaurants, supermarkets and the pier in Deerfield Beach. Staying here you do not need a car.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank The_Swede
GMFL893, General Manager at Comfort Inn Oceanside, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
We couldn't have said it better ourselves - thank you for your reccommendation!