“WINDham Deerfield Resort”

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Deerfield Beach
maryland
“WINDham Deerfield Resort”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

But you can't hold the wind against them. We needed to get out of the snow, gloom and gray that has blanketed the northeast for what seems like years. We also decided to visit a relative we hadn't seen in years. Wanting a place right on the beach, not too far from Boca didn't leave a lot of options if we wanted a hotel and not a time share. Knowing that this is prime time for Florida beaches, I found a decent deal at the Wyndham and hoped that it wouldn't be crazy with college students on spring break. Nothing against college students on spring break - I have one of those myself. But the hotel was very family friendly with quite a number of families seeming to attend weddings or just escaping from miserable weather up north. The front desk staff is pleasant and a double charge was quickly fixed once I provided information. The rooms are sufficiently large for 4 people and the bathroom is nicely appointed. If you have young children ask about bath tubs because I had only a shower (a more deluxe shower head would have been nice) and I know that my kids weren't thrilled about showers when they were very young. The bed was very comfy and there were REAL pillows, not those mini square things that so many hotels seem to be using these days. The balcony is NOT a balcony. While the door does open, the cement ledge is only several inches wide and they are a safety hazard for toddlers. I ate breakfast in the cafe every morning. The coffee was great, the fruit platters were huge (maybe a little more yogurt and where was the banana on my last day?) and there was plenty of variety on the menu. I also ran in for a sandwich one night after a LONG happy hour and the grouper fillet was outstanding. Parking is pricey whether you valet or self park, but the wi-fi is free. The hotel provides beach towels. The work out room is really quite nicely appointed. But can you fix the TV's that do not work on the ellipticals and treadmills and why weren't NBC, ABC and CBS available on those TV's? You can only take so much of the Golden Girls. The beach is filthy. The sand itself is quite nice, but someone needs to clean the area up. Chairs and cabanas are available and are ridic pricey. If you are flying in, go around the corner to the cute little shop run by the Indian couple and pick up a nice chair for $16. I gave my chair to a young woman who was 7 months pregnant as I left the beach on the last day. If you are accustomed to the all inclusives of the Caribbean this is a let down. There is no drink service on the beach, but no one stops you from bringing a cooler of whatever you like. The restaurants will not let you walk out with a drink in a plastic cup. There is no WOW factor to this hotel and I think it is a little pricey for what they actually deliver. But I had 5 sunny warm days and the Wyndham made the trip very enjoyable.

Room Tip: You pay more for ocean side and you pay more for a King bed.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Turkish first
Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I came here for the second time this March and enjoyed it as much as the previous time. The first time we had a water view and that was just wonderful, this time we had a city view which was fine. We could see our rental car valeted in the rear parking lot, which was the plus. The rooms were nice and comfortable, they provide you with two Wyndham postcards (none of the purchased Deerfield Beach post cards show the new hotel). They also provide you with Wolfgang Puck coffee (pretty good) and two complementary water bottles (nice). The staff cleans the room very nicely and gives you the option to replace your sheets and towels daily or keep the same. I like the way they describe this to you with the bed sheets. You need to keep the card on the bed if you want them to change the sheets, and frankly, I think that the first thing that goes flying when you get into bed! (Good thinking!) The towels are more tricky to keep them from replacing, you need to fold them or hang them up or something. Anywho, I enjoyed the room I was staying in. The beds were very comfortable, the chairs were if you were seated at the table, and the small balcony was nice to bring in some breeze.

Location, of course, is key to the Wyndham. It gives you a prime location for the three restaurants downstairs, the gelato place, the Beachcomber, the Deerfield Cafe, the boardwalk and all the other wonderful places in downtown Deerfield Beach. I loved getting up in the morning before the sun was up, buying a cup of coffee at the 7-Eleven and walking the boardwalk. The Wyndham's brewed coffee downstairs wasn't too great. Its Starbucks coffee but it just doesn't taste the same as when they brew it in the store.

I didn't use the pool area as the beach and the water was very nice during March. There were some jellies out there, but where aren't they. When I got stung by one, the lifeguards had vinegar on hand if you really needed it. Otherwise, the sting goes away within an hour. I chose to live the experience while it was there - not everyday are you stung by a man-o-war!

However, on the beach, I would agree with David F below me, the beach wasn't too clean. I thought it years past they used some tractor to clean up the beach, but maybe budgets today don't allow that or something. There were a lot of cigarette butts down there. You just have to move the sand around, lay out your towel (the hotel provides them at the front desk) and remember you're on vacation!

The last thing I'll say - a bit of something I miss from the old Howard Johnson's - their ice cream was top notch. Its too bad that feature couldn't continue over for the Wyndham. The gelato downstairs was ok - a little too sweet. But overall, I recommend the Wyndham Hotel if you're looking for a prime location (never need that rental car), and a comfortable stay!

Room Tip: Ocean view is probably worth it over the city view.
Deerfield Beach
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Hotel, staff, and food were great. However, we will not come back because of the beach. The beach was filthy and needs a good grooming. There was garbage and it was full of cigarette butts.

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Coconut Creek, Florida
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I met my husband at JB's on Deerfield Beach. We were engaged on the beach, just north of Deerfield. We got married in Boca Raton, yet we knew we wanted this beach to be a part of our weekend. The Wyndham is beautiful and is the most perfect location for any event. It has a "wow" factor as soon as you arrive. I met with Mary Beth who is an absolute gem. She's welcoming, extremely helpful and so happy, it's impossible not to smile in her presence. I immediately booked our room block for our guests and the suite (with stunning views) for my husband and I. I also booked our "farewell breakfast" for the day after the wedding. Hedy arranged all of the day-of transportation for myself and my groom as well as the bridal party and guests. Hedy took so much off my wedding planning plate and was so patient throughout the many changes I encountered. She even came in on her day off to make sure everything would be taken care of! The entire staff from the front desk, to the catering staff made my family and I feel like a part of their family. The breakfast was perfect, the food was incredible and everyone had an amazing experience throughout the entire weekend... no one wanted to leave! I would absolutely recommend The Wyndham Deerfield to anyone... and I will definitely be working with Mary Beth and Hedy again on future events!

1 Thank Elana K
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Stayed at the Wyndham Deerfield March 14-16 for a wedding in the Boca Raton area.

Check-in was a breeze - no one was waiting and the staff was very attentive. I self-parked but the valet let me leave my car to go check-in. Self-parking was $12/night and included in-out priveleges. The parking lot is a 2-minute walk on the back-side of the hotel near the pool.

We stayed in a standard city-view room with two beds. The room itself is very well appointed and seems to have been renovated recently. The flooring was (what seemed to be) faux wood which was great when coming back from the pool or beach. The only complaint about the room was the size - we had three adults in the room and were very tight on space.

The bathroom had a nice walk-in shower and modern fixtures. Again, the only complaint is the size of the bathroom - the vanity is also small with not a lot of room for your things.

The pool is on the side of the hotel and is not beach-front. Actually the hotel isn't technically "beachfront" as there is a road that goes in between the hotel and the beach, but it is very small and was not difficult to cross.

The beach had plenty of space and chair rentals were available.

There are tons of places to eat/drink around the hotel - this was the best part in my opinion. Everything from fine dining to a quick slice of pizza or burger (all very affordable).

Would definitely recommend this hotel for future travel!

Room Tip: We stayed in a city-view room on the 7th floor (706).
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
#5 of 18 in Deerfield Beach
Comfort Inn Oceanside
Comfort Inn Oceanside
#11 of 18 in Deerfield Beach

Been to Wyndham Deerfield Beach Resort? Share your experiences!