“Beautiful hotel, great amenities”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Deerfield Beach - Boca Raton
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Deerfield Beach
Reviewed January 24, 2010

Pricelined this hotel for $60 + tax... incredible deal.
Really friendly staff; they opened the gift shop after hours if we needed...

heated pool; technically closes at 11, but the staff won't bother you if you want to stay late; reasonably priced bar

hotel doesn't nickle an dime you; free business center w/internet and printer, fitness center, parking, etc. Very nice hotel!

Reviewed January 22, 2010

My wife and I stayed for two weeks, at The Hilton while visiting friends and getting a break from the cold weather, in New Jersey. After seeing some reviews on this site, we were concerned about the hotel. However, I am happy to say that we found the hotel to be a good choice for us.
Our experience was totally different from the reviews we saw on this site..we found no instance where the staff was unconcerned or non responsive. Quite the contrary, everyone we dealt with was friendly, concerned and very polite and helpful. The room was a nice size and very clean. We liked the separate area, which had a large desk on which we were able to put our laptop computer, and used the in-room connection to the internet.
The bed was very comfortable and the maid service was prompt. The bathroom and shower were nice with a marble vanity and came complete with extra fluffy towels, soaps and other amenities.
We found no problem with the heating or air conditioning system.
The lobby was large and well maintained. The hotel has a business office where you can make copies or use the fax.
The hotel is very convenient to Route 95 and self parking was no problem.
The hotel has a nice size pool with chaise lounges. However, the weather was too cold for us to use. There were some people who used it and seemed to enjoy the pool.
The staff was very friendly and, both the check-in and check-out process were easy.
We would definitely stay in this hotel again.

1  Thank mjksjk
Reviewed January 17, 2010

After seeing some of these reviews on Trip Advisor, I was extremely worried what I was getting myself into by staying at this hotel a few weeks ago for a work conference. This hotel still has some Hilton touches, but also needs some major improvements to be a player in this area. There are a lot of options that provide much newer, cleaner options for travelers in this area. I do feel the only reason the hotel was sold out for several nights was the rate, not the quality of the rooms.

Location
The hotel is located off I-95 in Deerfield Beach, and not too far from arteries that could take you to either Boca, the beach, etc. I saw one or two very small shops or stores close to the hotel, but I don't really think they'd be useful for people wanting to walk somewhere. The hotel does run a shuttle, but since we had a business hook-up, you'd have to see if they would take you anywhere. It was not a hotel that I would pick if I was looking for somewhere just to park and walk around.

Front Desk, Service, Etc.
The lobby was nice and featured a business center with two computers and a printer. There was no charge to use the printer (which I have found at some higher end chains). There is also a Starbucks "light" in the lobby, that was open in the AM, but didn't appear to be open much later than that. I did not make use of the fitness center. They have a room, I wouldn't call it a gift shop, that offered a few food and beverage items and some health products if you left anything at home. Prices were typical for hotels on the high end, but good in a pinch.

The check-in process was easy, and found the front desk attendant to be friendly. I did make a room change after I checked in and was glad they were able to accommodate me. I did find though, asking another attendant for something simple was met with a care-less attitude, which I thought was lacking in service.

Halls/Rooms
I think the hotel suffers from inconsistency. I ended up moving rooms as I was put in a room that was facing the highway and it appeared to be in good condition, clean, everything in working order (except the HVAC). When I moved to another room, found it smaller, in poorer condition and quality was severely lacking (i.e. the knob on one of the sink handles broke off), carpet felt dirty, the HVAC knob was literally something from the 70's. The hallway also completely reeked of cigarette smoke on the 2nd floor I moved to, but did not on the original floor I was on.

The room was tolerable where I landed, but nothing I would want to stay in for more than a night or two, and definitely not somewhere I would stay if I was in the room all day (I spent really maybe 2 hours a night there before I went to bed). The bathroom appeared to have been renovated recently and had a nice black granite top. Shower worked fine and water pressure was good. Towels were adequate and they provide shampoo and conditioner (no more lotion) and soap.

The room itself was aged. The HVAC unit was just extremely surprising. I've been traveling on business for 5+ years and never seen one so incredibly antiquated. It had a broken knob and switches. I was told originally by maintenance that the AC wasn't even working the first night since the bitter cold in FL somehow broke it. I know myself and several co-workers were really warm that first night and didn't sleep well. Would seriously recommend they upgrade that entire system, pronto!

The beds were comfortable and linens were clean, which is a big thing for me. Had both poly and feather pillows with a blanket in the closet. The windows really needed a good scrubbing from the outside and the carpet probably could use a good steam clean, or replacement. TV had adequate channels with closed caption. Alarm clock worked, but the backlit was broken, so I could never tell what time it was during the night. Iron was clean and worked fine. Room also had a chair and ottoman, work desk and chair and another completely odd out of place chair that looked like it belonged in a conference room. Probably should just take those out of the rooms.
Closet was a decent size. Room doors slam loud, so if you are a light sleeper, bring earplugs.

Other
They do have a concierge lounge on the 7th floor which I used a few times since I have status with the chain. The attendant was friendly and they had food and drink available in the morning and evenings. Was nice just to pop in and grab a bottle of water or soda. They also have a computer and printer, however the speed was very slow. The high speed in the room worked okay, but was with my own card, so I can't rate their connection.

I would really say that I wouldn't stay here again if I had a choice. There are so many other hotels close to my office that have better quality and newer rooms. If you are going to be stuck here for a conference, you won't die, but I can't say at this time I'd recommend the hotel for people who can chose their own. If they could completely re-do the HVAC system and touch up the rooms that have not been renovated, it could be a player in the market.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank RedHeadGo
Reviewed January 11, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights post christmas and were very disappointed. Every thing was sub standard and dated. We were upgraded to an executive room as HH Diamond members and I wouldn't have liked to see a standard room if this was top of their range!!! The girl at reception was rude and unwelcoming. The executive lounge was opened only for short periods and breakfast was poor. Overall a bad experience.

1  Thank Elizabeth7
Reviewed January 6, 2010

After reading some bad reviews I was getting nervous about staying there, but was pleasantly surprised. A full service hotel, with a business center, exercise room, hot tub etc.
The room was nice and comfortable and the location near 95 was great. Close to the beach in Deerfield and Boca Raton. We would definetly stay there again.

Reviewed October 31, 2009

Noisey in the morning, Hammering at 8:00 am I was there for two days and my room was not cleaned. Front desk staff had a could care less attitude. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank jashbr
Reviewed October 13, 2009

Honestly, from the lobby at check in to the rooms on 2 different floors, the smell of mildew/mold was overwhelming. The lobby was dark and being an old hotel, 1980's, any renovation was more like a spackling over flaws. The floorboards of the rooms were old, dirty, dusty and the glasses were dirty too! None of the rooms felt clean or smelled fresh.... the rugs felt scummy ,and we could not take off our shoes. After checking out a few rooms on diff floors with continued disappointment, the last having been smoked in no doubt (even as a non-smoking property), we checked out altogether and ended up at a newer, more updated, clean smelling place for the same price. From now on I will not even look into staying at any hotel more than 10 yrs old located in a high trafficked area unless substantial renovation has taken place..it has been worn in for sure prob by many business travelers too.. On a positive note, the staff was pretty nice about it all and 100% reimbursement, but I have to feel sorry for them as they breathe in that unclean musty air on a daily basis..can't be healthy and not typical of Hilton properties..

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank atlas2004
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deerfield Beach
Wyndham Deerfield Beach Resort
Wyndham Deerfield Beach Resort
#1 of 18 in Deerfield Beach
Embassy Suites by Hilton Deerfield Beach - Resort & Spa
Hampton Inn Boca Raton-Deerfield Beach
Hampton Inn Boca Raton-Deerfield...
#2 of 18 in Deerfield Beach
Best Western Plus Deerfield Beach Hotel & Suites
Best Western Plus Deerfield Beac...
#7 of 18 in Deerfield Beach
Waterstone Resort & Marina Boca Raton, Curio Collection by Hilton
Wyndham Boca Raton
Wyndham Boca Raton
#7 of 27 in Boca Raton

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Deerfield Beach - Boca Raton? Share your experiences!