DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Deerfield Beach - Boca Raton
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Deerfield Beach
Reviewed March 6, 2006

Although I had read the warnings from other reviews, I booked a business stay here from Feb 27 - Mar 3, 2006; given the season and short notice of my trip, my options were rather limited. I requested a room away from the renovations and was put in 710, on the HiltonHonors floor. Foolishly, I thought this would be a good thing.

The furniture in my room looked relatively new and stylish, but I was surprised at how small the room was. The bathroom was so small there was barely an inch of clearance to the toilet when opening the door. I also noticed a large crack in the plaster near my desk.

Shower water pressure was lacking, and the water didn't seem to warm up until I was over half-way through my shower. My remote control didn't work, my phone had a horrible connection and the backlight on my clock didn't work, so I had no idea what time it was when waking in the middle of the night.

I asked for some of these service issues to be taken care of Tuesday while I was at work. I came back to my room that evening at 8:00pm to find that not only had none of the service issues been addressed, but my room hadn't been cleaned!

The restaurant wasn't serving dinner, but a breakfast buffet was available. The first morning I ended up with curdled milk on my cereal. Two days later there was still out-dated milk cartons in the buffet. Every 2nd or 3rd plate in the buffet stack was dirty, even though it had been "washed".

From that second day on, I went round and round with various managers of the hotel. I had to continually follow up with them; my calls were not returned for days, if at all. They finally comp'ed my 1st night ... which helped my company (since they were paying), but still did nothing to satisfy me. Although I was there for 4 days, even the room credit was not resolved until 2 days after I left. And it took me 3 phone calls the following week to get a corrected copy of my bill.

This was the most horrible hotel experience I've had in years. I would NEVER stay at this property again!

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank Kristin F
Write a ReviewReviews (1,122)

Reviewed February 15, 2006

We had booked this 3* property for one night , arriving on 2/11/06 using a Hilton Honors reward certificate.
We chose this property over the Hampton Inn because of the Hilton name, expecting better quality.
The exterior of the pyramid shaped building leads one to expect a luxurious hotel. The Hilton is anything but.
The property lacks a parking attendant and bellman.
The lobby is sparse and stark--mostly dark and dreary.
Check in was efficient, as we were the only guests at the time. I inquired about renovation, as I had read that the hotel was undergoing renovation and the hotel's own website fails to mention anything about renovation. The clerk, Reinhard, explained that the renovations were nearly completed but that the restaurant was CLOSED;however, breakfast and dinner would be served in a meeting room and room service was available from 11AM to 10PM. This was Valentine's weekend--dinner in a meeting room is not an intimate, romantic evening. Neither is room service for breakfast after 11AM. Had we been made aware of either of these facts prior to our reservation, we would have chosen a different property.
We were assigned room 625,a king bedded non-smoking room. Upon entering the rather shabby elevator, we noticed that the walls were badly dented . When the elevator arrived on the sixth floor and the doors opened, we saw threadbare, stained carpeting. As we went down the hall to our room, a piece of our luggage became entangled with housekeeping's trash. We could not extricate the trash and had to drag the trash into our room.
When we finally opened the door( after the third try), we were met with a foul odor. The carpeting was threadbare and filthy, with numerous stains and burn marks throughout. This was supposed to be a non-smoking room. We immediately left and went back down to the front desk to request a clean, non-smoking room. The clerk, Collin, explained that they didn't have any more non-smoking rooms, but that we could have a "smoking optional" room. We explained that non-smoking was a medical necessity, and were still refused another room. Because hotel management could not provide a non-smoking room, we checked out. We requested assistance in booking another property, but were flatly refused. As a final insult, we were informed that because checked in /"cancelled" less than 24 hours prior to checkin, we would forfeit our Hilton Honors certifcate--management was keeping it as payment for a room that we never stayed in!!

6  Thank dpoli
Reviewed December 28, 2005

My family and I stayed here back in March when we were in for my sister's wedding. She got a really good rate for everyone from out of town and they even gave her a free room for the night. The hotel was clean and the pool area was great. My two younger brothers (age 8 & 11) were with us and had a blast in the pool. They never seemed to be bored. The rooms were good sized and when we requested a cot we received it within 10 minutes. The only minor issue was with the shuttle. My cousin and his girlfriend took the shuttle to Deerfield Beach and were told to call when they were ready to come back. After a couple of calls and almost 2 hours after the initial call, they arrived back. Other than that it was great!

• Stayed: March 2005
Reviewed October 6, 2005

Me, my wife, and 20 month-old daughter stayed here and the end of Sept. 2005. I bought a package from Fairfield Resorts that included 3 nights stay here and a cruise to Grand Bahama Island and 2 nights there. I had no choice as to where to stay. Here are my opinions:

The good:
- It is convenient and easy to find, just off I95.
- They have a shuttle bus that will take you withn 5 miles of the hotel for
free.
- The staff is great. Andrea, the hospitality rep found out I was having car
trouble and sent a nice sympathy package up to my room with fruit and
candy.
- The pool is nice and spacious.
- The beds are very comfortable.
- It is surprisingly quiet, considering it is so close to the interstate.

The bad:
- If the hotel is having a convention or meeting, you will probaly need to
park quite a ways away from the entrance.
- They have an ice machine on each floor, but the ones on the 2nd, 3rd, and
4th floors did not work. They said they had new ones ordered.
- It is NOT 5 minutes from the beach as their website says. Maybe if you
going there at 3 am and there is not any traffic.
- They wanted $10 extra a night for a crib for my daughter. No thanks.

In summary:
This was a quiet, clean, comfortable hotel. It would be good for a business traveler or someone who does not care much for going to the beach. However, my reason for going to Florida was for the beaches. It was a hassle to get everything loaded in the car, drive to the beach, find a parking place, find enough change for the meter, and load back up when we wanted to back the the hotel and sit through an endless number of traffic lights. It is not a very good place for a tourist to stay.

• Stayed: September 2005
3  Thank tncopperhead
A TripAdvisor Member
45 Turkey Creek Alachua, Fl.
Reviewed July 14, 2005

We just returned from a five day stay at the Hilton Hotel at 100 fairway drive. The occassion was a death in our family. We and nine of our family members stayed at the hotel and all agreed that it was a fine experience. The staff seemed to not be able to do too much for us. The Bellman even left a card under our door with a hand written message expressing his sympathy for our loss, we really appreciated this. One day we all went to the pool to try and relieve our sorrow and tensions and found the pool and pool area to be well appointed and neat and clean. It has a sauna and a good supply of lounge chairs and pool towels. The rooms are nice with comfortable beds, a TV with lots of channels, a desk and chairs. The bath rooms are nice and clean maybe could use upgrading which, I understand, is in progress. This is a good hotel at a reasonable price and we would recommend it to anyone passing that way. The hotel is very convenient to I-95 and all activities in and around Boca Raton.

• Stayed: July 2005
Reviewed January 3, 2005

This hotel is the worst. A depressing experience. We have stayed in this hotel for the last 4 years for a week just before Christmas while visiting a relative in Deerfield Beach, mainly due to it's convenient location and the fairly good food we had found there. For this, we have always tolerated the lack of cleanliness and poor attitutude of the help due to the location and fairly good food- until this year when even the food turned bad. No more key lime pie, a breakfast buffet which had virtually nothing and looked like a tornado hit it, and if you can believe this, we were served Tropicana orange juice as a slight of hand trick behind the bar while other full paying guests received fresh squeezed OJ. (we were on the meal plan("bounceback vacation- where full american breakfast is included with the room) and assumed this dirty trick was just for those who were on the breakfast plan. This was enough. Also, bathrooms were even more disgustingly dirty than in the past and linens were not changed although the policy stated they were to be changed every second day (there were not changed at all). Finally, The help acted as if they had never worked in a hotel before. Also, the few Christmas decorations we had seen in prior years had totally disapeared. This year we had enough. We checked out after 2 nights and will never return.

5  Thank Peter S
Reviewed September 6, 2004

Between Jan and Sept 2004, I made four separate visits to the Deerfield Beach / Palm Beach area, spending time in six different hotels. I stayed at this particular HILTON on three separate occassions during this period. I have found the quality of the room, relative to the room rate, to be a excellent value. I cannot comment on any other service the facility might offer (I go off site for food and beverage). It is not set up as a tourist hotel (close drive to, but not on the beach; no concierge). But if you want a comfortable, well appointed room to lounge in after a tough days work and which is freeway adjacent, you might try this facility. This facility has a 3-1/2 star rating. I feel this is fair--especially after seeing what gets a 3-1/2 star rating in NYC.

7  Thank pchnmain
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deerfield Beach
Embassy Suites by Hilton Deerfield Beach - Resort & Spa
Wyndham Deerfield Beach Resort
Wyndham Deerfield Beach Resort
#1 of 18 in Deerfield Beach
Hampton Inn Boca Raton-Deerfield Beach
Hampton Inn Boca Raton-Deerfield...
#2 of 18 in Deerfield Beach
Waterstone Resort & Marina Boca Raton, Curio Collection by Hilton
Best Western Plus Deerfield Beach Hotel & Suites
Best Western Plus Deerfield Beac...
#8 of 18 in Deerfield Beach
Comfort Inn Oceanside
Comfort Inn Oceanside
#12 of 18 in Deerfield Beach

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Deerfield Beach - Boca Raton? Share your experiences!