“Great Local Restaurant”

The Whale's Rib
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Description: 'We Feed The Beach' since 1981!
Reviewed March 14, 2013

If you are looking for fine dining, this is not your place. If you are looking for fast, excellently prepared seafood in a very casual setting - this is your place. Always crowded, so expect a wait. Large tables take a long time to be called. For two people you can always sit at the raw bar and have a few of the hectic kitchen, which we like to do - kind of like a dinner show! On recent occasions we have had the blackened mahi, prime rib and the soups - all very good. However, the fried oysters and whale fries are not to be missed. We so infrequently eat fried food, but this is the bar to do it in.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,560)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We first encountered the Whales Rib in 2005 while evacuating from Key West. What fresh and delicious fish! Very reasponably priced and great service. We always return (8 years later) and sit at the bar. Great people to meet and wondeful bartenders. Try the Pirates Punch!! Pakcs a punch. Clean and easy to get to across from the beach.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I found this place on the Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives website (one of my favorite TV travel shows). This place fits into the "Dive" catagory. The walls are covered with with alot of older Florida seaside memorabilia such as mounted trophy fish, old photos of fishermen and their catches, as well as license plates from all over the country. For dinner, I had the Fresh Dolphin Key West sandwich, my girlfriend had the Lobster Salad sandwich and we shared their "Famous" Whale Fries with Whale Juice dipping sauce. The dolphin sandwich and fries were really good, and the lobster salad tasted fresh, but didn't have much flavor. It was a little disapointing. But the dive ambiance was cool, the place had a good crowd with alot of locals which is always a good sign, and everyone was having a good time. Parking for this place and the area businesses is scarce. So If you are staying nearby, you might want to walk. I will definitely come back and try some other items on the menu. The raw bar seems vary popular here and the Oysters Rockefeller is supposed to be great here.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have been disrespected by a few people in this establishment. I was a regular customer for several years. Since 1985. I will never dine there again. I have also told other friends in the area about situation. I was spending anywhere from 5 to 800 dollars a month there. They do not need customers like me.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I have been to the Whales Rib a few times and I have always had a great meal - favorite being the blackened dolphin sandwich and of course the Whale fries!