“Good prices and good eating”
Review of The Whale's Rib

The Whale's Rib
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Description: 'We Feed The Beach' since 1981!
Boca Raton, Florida
“Good prices and good eating”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This place was featured on Triple -D. It is on the beach and you need to use the parking garage if you are driving. The wait is on average 30 mins. Food is good and prices are good. It is great for a quick lunch having gone to the beach and worked up an appetite. Not fancy, plenty of memorabilia.

• Visited July 2012

Nashville, Tennessee
“Worth the wait!”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Yes, I saw this place on Food's Triple-D, and knowing some locals there who also highly recommend this place I came, I saw, I ate, it rocked!

We went for lunch and knowing the reputation for being hard to get into (it's a small place), we went after 1p on a Wednesday and got right in.

Our party ordered the Fresh Dolphin Key West sandwich. One fried, one blackened. These two sandwiches were more than enough to feed three adults. Yummy!

We also ordered the whale chips (sides are extra) and you can tell two things, they are fresh and homemade, plus, they are very salty!

Parking is limited and you may have to park in the garage around the corner. If you get there at "peak times" you will have to wait (or so I've been told). Even though one side is a bar, kids are welcome and they have a kids menu (but no hamburger on it).

The folks are completey patient with those of us who want to do the touristy "get my picture taken with all the Diners, Drive-ins & Dives" memoribilia around-well they were with me at least.

Wish they had a better beer selection - after all a fish sandwich tastes better with a good island style lager. But, you can get what you need if you like the hops.

BTW, not only is the place good for families but don't worry about how you're dressed either. I was there in my swimming trunks and flip flops. Having just come from the beach about a block over.

Now that we have a vacation condo down in Deerfield Beach I will look forward to visiting the Whale's Rib as often as I can.

Marblehead
“A whole lot of bun”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Our first trip to Pompano Beach and this looked like a great local place to eat. A young couple was waiting at the door for them to open for lunch should be a good sign. We went for dinner about 6 pm on a Sunday so expected a crowd. the staff was very helpful as I waited 10 minutes for my husband to find a parking space. The atmosphere is friendly, the servers are awesome, but the mahi sandwich was pretty low on our favorites. It was a small serving for the price and overcooked, kind of tough. The bun was toasted perfectly but it was bigger than the fish, which got lost under all the fixings on it. If you want a good toasted bun this is your place, but not for a fresh mahi sandwich.

Florida Panhandle, Florida
“Diners Drive-Ins and Dives Location Did Not Disappoint”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Checked out The Whales Rib after seeing it on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. Located near the ocean in a funky part of Deerfield Beach...parking is not plentiful. Inside the dive-y theme continues with that old Florida seafood restaurant look. It was one of the first restaurants that I have been merely pointed to a seat, not taken there. Apart from that, I found the food to be quite good. I had fried shrimp...although I wasn't wild about the coating (beer batter, perhaps?), the shrimp were tasty and quite large. The big surprise here are the Whale Fries, which are delectable homemade potato chips. Portions were HUGE. There is a nice raw bar, which isn't as easy to find as one might think. The Dreamsicle cake was a nice, refreshing surprise after fried seafood. Will definitely return to try more things on the menu.

• Visited September 2012
New York
“Don't understand the raves”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Food is horribly over salted and over cooked. Marinara sauce is straight out of a can. Crab cakes are 90% cracker filling and a few slivers of crab. The appeal of the place has to be the cheap prices. The service is good.