“Genuine, Authentic Florida Experience”

Swamp House Riverfront Grill
Ranked #1 of 31 Restaurants in DeBary
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Swamp House Grill is located overlooking the St Johns River and Highbanks Marina in peaceful, beautiful Debary Florida. If you're looking for good food with a homegrown, old-Florida vibe then we're your place! Please feel free to bring your well behaved dogs and eat downstairs at The Happy Snapper Tiki Bar on Saturdays and Sundays.
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and I were visiting the area from Canada, looking for a "non-Disney" authentic, Florida experience and we sure hit the mark here. Craig, the bartender/asst. Manager, was not only a great guy, but shared with us his passion for Alligator hunting and gave us a sample of alligator to try for ourselves. The restaurant is right on the St. Johns River. Amazing. Swampy surroundings, but the screened in bar and restaurant kept all the bugs at bay while providing a great feeling of being outdoors. The food was very good and extremely tasty. The menu was varied and offered something for the adventurous (me) and not so adventurous (my wife) eaters.. You may pay a couple of bucks more for entrees than elsewhere, but you simply cannot get a better location so it's well worth it.. Try the Tiki Bar experience on Saturday and Sunday...sounds like a great time!

Reviewed December 9, 2012

The location of this restaurant is right on the banks of the St Johns' River in a rustic location in Debary. A small but busy boat ramp and equally small marina are adjacent to or on the property. The restaurant boast tremendous nature views of the river. Recently installed lower area outdoor seating and bar area add to the amount of seats and views available. In short, this could be an extraordinary getaway for lunch or dinner and socializing. The problem, at least for the nine + years we've lived in Debary and come here rests with the management of the restaurant.

Whether the residents of an on-site adults-only RV park desire to limit the restaurants' capabilities or the actual owners have had difficulty finding the right management combination, this restaurant has consistently and notably lacked:

* accurate food descriptions on the menu
* reasonably fast food turn-around (we waited 90 minutes to receive a simple fish and salad order about two weeks ago)
* reasonable pricing as compared with the quality of service
* being open on river-active holidays (Memorial Day, Labor Day, July 4th), etc so that boaters can stop and enjoy the day, the property, some great food and the experience at Swamp House

The food I ordered was to have been a grilled grouper salad. What I received was fried fish fillets (one was definitely cod and one was grouper - and there IS a notable difference between the two) over a bed of fresh greens. I politely and in good nature pointed out that the fish was fried and even kindly pointed out that nowhere on the menu did it say the fillets were fried on this salad (fried food on salad - really???), and that the taste and look of the one fillet was cod. Instead of a friendly response, I received back was a defensive argument from the server.

The relatively young floor manager that was standing nearby came to our table afterward, was apologetic, and offered a discount on our food.

The City of Debary has a tremendous opportunity to advertise itself as a legitimate River City. Even though the SunRail station will be some distance away, the Swamp House would be a great marketing draw location, if transportation can be worked out. This is a rare property and a rare location - tranquil, full of nature and the making of great memories. We are hopeful the restaurant owners will (after ten years of mediocre experience) review its policies and adopt a more customer-focused environment. We would love to return here for lunch or dinner either by car or boat and have an excellent experience from what we know can be an over-the-top experience.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Swamp House was a great find! Recommended by the Blue Springs State Park and we were not disappointed! Greeted by gators hanging from the ceiling we enjoyed DELICIOUS sweet n' spicy gator bites! I had the Florida lobster pot pie and was stuffed a quarter of the way in to it! Huge servings with lots of very large lobster. Also enjoyed were mahi tacos and stuffed blue crab mahi. A real cute place with live music on the weekends, river views, dining and a lively bar! Would definitely go again! Ask about the jugs on the ceiling!

1  Thank ultimateAL
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I have been to the Swamp House on a couple of different occasions. The location overlooking a Marina and the St. John's river provides great views, which is good as the service can be very slow even when the restaurant isn't full. The food is ok but nothing special, although the alligator has been a big hit with my kids.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

We totally enjoyed our lunch here. We had been hiking a back trail over at BlueSprings & were pretty hungry, the fast service & plentiful portions hooked us up. The only glitch was receiving the wrong cocktail, but they remidied that quickly (btw, the best drinks we had on vacation) ! My husband & son both got burgers which they said were excellent. My daughter & I split the gator quesadilla with tropical fruit salsa. Wow! So good. We also had the sweet potato fries which were the best I 've had due to their unique preparation & yummy maple cream cheese dipping sauce. Bonus for the great ambiance. We loved watching the baby gators swim in the Marina below while we munched.

1  Thank ValCassidy