“Nice spot / needs updating & renos”
Review of Kilmory Resort

Kilmory Resort
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We rented an A-Frame cabin for one night for a family of 6. We arrived at Kilmory Resort and were told before we arrived that we could possibly have a choice in one of the newer A-Frame cabins. When we arrived there we were told that the only clean cabin was one of the older A-Frames so we reluctantly agreed. Now when my Mother made the confirmation we were told that we would have available Wifi, Cable, & a Hot Tub.

Upon arrival of the cabin it was overlooking the water and looked very nice (due to the highly dry wooded area we weren't able to have a fire). We unlocked the door and walked in and looked around at the 1980'esque furniture. We went upstairs to look at the hot tub. We were unpleasantly surprised that our "hot tub" was nothing more then a jetted tub out in the open, we have the same bathtub at home. If that wasn't bad enough we had spotty cable which wasn't a bad thing but one thing we were told was available throughout the resort was Wifi. One of our party members was working on a paper and needed Wifi to email her paper but when we tried we couldn't get at all, with a laptop, iPad, iPhone and a Android phone. So we drove to the main office and explained that we didn't have Wifi, spotty cable and not enough towels for swimming or for showering (you'd expect if they have a party of 6 they would assume we would all want to shower). They were prompt in getting our towels and a man came down to look at our Wifi and thankfully our party member was able to get on through Wifi although she couldn't move from the kitchen table or she would loose signal. Everyone else couldn't get on so we were out of luck.

Overall I wouldn't recommend this resort to anyone looking for a 5 star or even a 4 star accommodation. The beauty of the place is amazing but from the amount of traffic they apparently get they should spend the money on updating everything or at least the bare minimum practice what they preach. If they say they have Wifi, Hot Tubs, etc. then have those amenities and not a jetted tub and stay-put-or-you-will-loose-signal Wifi.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jurotbrom
Roger J, Owner at Kilmory Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Thank-you for your review on TripAdvisor. I take all reviews very seriously and use them to improve our customer service.
I do remember your groups stay here as I was the person who looked after and corrected your Wi-Fi issues which resolved around the firewall on the lady’s computer. I was happy to take the time to alleviate the problem.
Your group of six stayed in our 2 bedroom chalet # 11 and I’m a bit surprised with a couple of your comments on the cottage as we have totally renovated and refurnished this cottage and most others in the last 6 months.
In the last 6 months Chalet #11 has had a new pull-out couch, new upholstered chair, two new pillow top queen beds, a new 32” flat screen TV, new kitchen table and chairs, new stove, new fridge, new front windows, new door, new flooring and new patio deck.
It has also been completely re-stained inside and out.
Chalet #11 is one of our most popular as it’s secluded, down over a hill and has a great view. Our regular customer’s request this chalet again and again but because of its seclusion some devices such as I phones and I pads may have a problem connecting to the WiFi repeater located in chalet #13.
We are working to fix this problem.
I’m sorry there was confusion on the hot tub / whirlpool question, nowhere in our marketing do we advertise a “Hot Tub” we do advertise “whirlpool tubs” in our deluxe chalets and that is what is in chalet #11. I’m sorry if there was some misunderstanding on this when your mother booked the cottage.
Thank-you for your comments and suggestions.

There are newer reviews for Kilmory Resort

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed in Cabin #3 for one night. The view was absolutely stunning. The surrounding trees provide enough covered for privacy. Sounds of birds and sights of Bald eagles are frequent.

The cabin was very nice and spacious for 2 people, it was equipped with the basics for cooking, appliances were fine and the BBQ was perfect.

The pool was so warm and clean, I did not want to leave. we were also the only people there, which made it very nice.

2 Things to remember when traveling here:
1. The WiFi connection is very weak and was unusable. I walked around the road of the other cabins trying all the connections. It seemed to come and go.
Same for cell phone coverage.
2. There is nowhere to buy groceries. The nearest convenience store is in North Harbour.
Luckily we were prepared.
Kilmory does provide some take out food, but I recommend bringing lots of food.
Especially condiments, cooking oil and such.

My only recommendation to staff would simply be to provide each cabin with a non-stick frying pan.

All in all, wonderful place I would recommend and will stay again.
You are not going to such a beautiful place to stare at your phones or watch tv.
The cabin is what it is, a place to rest your head between the hiking, boating and sightseeing.

Room Tip: Cabin #3 has a southern facing deck, for full sun exposure, looking over the water.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Visited this place recently,we were a group of six,my wife,her two sisters,her mother,and a brother-in-law.We arrived around 5:00PM.Check in went smoothly especially since the lady at the front desk turned out to be the first cousin of my mother-in-law. Everybody knows everybody in Newfoundland!Anyway after the cousins had reunited we got the key to the Chalet.Very nice chalet comfortably accommodating our group.Chalets are beautifully located on the Pipers Hole River,the scenery is truly spectacular!!We enjoyed a nice walk down to the pier on the river,a lovely warm late afternoon,there is a nice swimming pool down by the river too!We had a nice BBQ later on the Chalet Deck,nice deck overlooking the river with lots of outdoor seating!After dinner we had a great game of cards!!We all had a nice bed to sleep on.Next morning we had a great breakfeast courtesy of the resourcefulness of this great family of women!This is a great place to enjoy a night any time of the year!My wife and I are planning to come back just the two of us!!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Oh my. Everytime I come to Kilmory, I see beautiful eagles soaring about. Truly magnificent birds. Cottage 19 is where we stayed and if I didn't know better, I would have sworn we were in a log cabin tucked far away into the woods. We had an incredible two night stay. Strawberry Daiquiris never tasted so sweet as we watched the flow of Swift Current from our deck. Our fully equipped cottage even had a blender supplied to us by the owner to mix our yummy drinks. I slept like a baby in the cozy upstairs bedroom which had a large window overlooking the water. I must congratulate the management and team on being meticulously clean and tidy.
Yup, this is truly a Lovers retreat. I have seen a seal floating down the river on a piece of ice, eagles and a little squirrel paid us a visit in the morning. I can't wait til my next trip back here!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary B
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Last weekend my wife and I took our grandchildren (8 and 5) to Kilmory to spend the night, and enjoy sightseeing around the Bonavista Peninsula. The cottage was comfortable, and we found the natural wood to be homey and relaxing. The chalet was clean, and all necessary amenities were available. The staff were friendly and accommodating ... the kind of service we expect in Newfoundland and Labrador. Because it was cold and windy, we were unable to enjoy the outdoors, but the scenery in Swift Current is spectacular at any time of year. I spend a lot of time in hotels as I travel for work. I do not expect to feel as if I am in a hotel when I am at a resort (nor do I want to)... I like the rustic charm and natural wooded surroundings. The grandchildren look forward to playing in the playground and exploring the beaches when we return in the summer. One complaint: I forgot to leave the key in the chalet as instructed when we departed early on a Sunday morning; on Sunday evening I was unable to contact anyone to return it. However, when I did return the key on Monday, I was thanked warmly by the maid, and thanked in an email by the owner, Roger. We will try to follow directions in the summer ...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank theauldartist
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I booked a two bedroom standard A-frame cottage for what was supposed to be a relaxing day skiing at White Hills. However, two days before we were set to arrive three out of the five people who were travelling with us decided that they were unable to go due to unforeseen circumstances. I immediately called Kilmory Resort to cancel the reservation as our six person cottage would be too expensive for two people for one night. Apparently they need a WEEKS notice to cancel a cabin and refused to do anything for me. I would have to pay the full amount of the cabin for that night regardless whether I stayed there or not. Most places only require 24hrs notice so I think that 48hrs notice was more than sufficient. The cabin also needed a good dusting. Also Kilmory Resort may have been a four star resort when it was built, but it is certainly no more than a three star because all of the furnishings need to be updated. Overall the cottage was overpriced for the poor service I received. I DO NOT RECOMMEND!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sarah E
Roger J, Owner at Kilmory Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Thank-you for your review on TripAdvisor. I really appreciate the feedback.

On your concerns about our cancellation policy. I’ve posted Kilmory Resort’s off-season cancellation policy here. I’ve also posted several other rural Newfoundland properties cancellation policies below, as taken from their web sites, for comparison.

If you check the others and compare Kilmory Resort’s cancellation policy to them ours is not dissimilar to what is the rural standard.

We operate as a destination property and unlike a city based hotel walk-in traffic is minimal so when a reservation is made and then cancelled without adequate notice it makes it impossible for us to re-book the chalet.

Adequate notice of a cancellation allows us time to rebook the reservation and there is no charge to the person who made the original reservation.

The cancellation policy protects our business against permanent loss of revenue due to last minute cancellations and protects our guests in that they do in fact have the room they requested when they arrive.

At the time your booking was made our cancellation policy was explained. I'm not sure if you are the person who actually made the booking but if you are I’m very sorry if you didn’t understand the policy.

Kilmory Resort Off-Season Cancellation Policy

A valid credit card number is required to secure your booking. In the Off- Season 10 days notice is required for a reservation cancellation. With less than 10 days notice of a cancellation a fee for the first nights accommodation will be charged to the credit card provided.

Cancellation policies from a sample other rural NL operators.

Example #1
Reservations are fully refundable if cancelled 30 days or more in advance of your arrival. For reservations cancelled or reduced with between 2 and 29 days notice, we will retain the 25% deposit. Reservations cancelled or reduced with less than 48 hours notice are non-refundable.

Example # 2
Reservation deposits will be refunded in full if cancelled more than 14 days in advance of your arrival. If you must cancel within 14 days of arrival, please call. If we are able to rebook your room, we will refund your deposit. If we are unable to rebook your room, your first night's stay will be forfeited.

Example #3
A refund of 50% of deposit if cancelled 30 days or more before arrival date. For cancellations less than 30 days, a 50% refund of deposit may be given if the cottage is rebooked. If the cottage cannot be rebooked no refund will be given.

On you rate comment I’ve recently checked rates across Newfoundland for similar two bedroom fully-equipped 3 or 4 star rated housekeeping cottages. The rates range in the off-season from $149.00 to $269.00 per night depending on the property.

The Saturday night you stayed here your rate was $159.00 for a 2 bedroom cottage.

Even though our cottages are some of the largest and best equipped two bedroom units in Newfoundland our prices are on the low end of the off-season rates charged by operators in the Province.

By far the majority of comments we receive from our clients are that our cottages are a great value for the rate charged. As rates are very subjective issue I’m very sorry that you didn’t think so.

Again thank-you for your review and feedback.

Roger Jamieson
Owner

Reviewed March 20, 2013

The cabin itself was just OK. Given the price, I would expect much better or more attention paid to small things. Not really what I was expecting given the high cost. No place to hang coats, only in the closet in the downstairs bedroom. A few hooks by the door would even be an improvement. The railing to the upstairs bedroom was rickety and could not be trusted. No cell service. No internet service which was advertised. 3 TV channels when the ad states "satellite tv". I was not able to access the swimming area as there were too many steps (I have a disability). Bring all of your groceries that you will ever need while staying there as there is no where to purchase anything (even a loaf of bread) within a 30 minute drive. I was absolutely disappointed in this property. If the price was 1/3 of what they are charging, it would be a bargain....however, certainly not given the price. I've stayed in many rental cabins throughout Newfoundland. This was the most expensive and my least favorite.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Judy F
Roger J, Owner at Kilmory Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and your comments and suggestions for improvements.
We are constantly upgrading our accommodations and services to meet our guest’s needs.
Since your stay in July 2012 we have made many improvements and upgrades to the chalets.
In all the cottages we have upgraded the couches and upholstered chairs and other furniture.
Also all the beds have been replaced with high end Simmons pillow top hotel mattresses. They are very comfortable.
We have increased the number of internet repeaters at the Resort so the signal strength has been improved in all the chalets for easier wireless internet access.
Normally there are 6 satellite TV channels available. During your stay we were having a problem with a distribution amplifier which has since been replaced. We are doing a further upgrade of our TV system this spring (2013).
Cellular service is available in many areas of the resort and in most chalets. Unfortunately because of the mountainous terrain in this area cell signal is not available everywhere or in every chalet.
We have now erected cell phone signs around the Resort where the signal is strongest so guests without cell service in their chalet will know where to go to get access.
We are in discussion with New Tel Mobility on how to further improve the service but unfortunately that’s in their control not ours.
Also there is a new convenience store and tea room opening 5 minutes away from Kilmory in Swift Current this spring (2013) so our guests will no longer have to travel 15 minutes to North Harbour for groceries.
There is access to the pool without using the steps but this wasn’t indicated in the guest services directory in each cottage. We have now added how to get to the pool without using the steps to the guest services directory.
Again thank-you for your review. We appreciate the feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Swift Current
#4 of 4 in Clarenville
Arnold's Cove Inn
Arnold's Cove Inn
#1 of 1 in Arnold's Cove

Been to Kilmory Resort? Share your experiences!