“Mother and Three Sisters”
Review of Kilmory Resort

Kilmory Resort
St. John`s, NL
“Mother and Three Sisters”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Visited this place recently,we were a group of six,my wife,her two sisters,her mother,and a brother-in-law.We arrived around 5:00PM.Check in went smoothly especially since the lady at the front desk turned out to be the first cousin of my mother-in-law. Everybody knows everybody in Newfoundland!Anyway after the cousins had reunited we got the key to the Chalet.Very nice chalet comfortably accommodating our group.Chalets are beautifully located on the Pipers Hole River,the scenery is truly spectacular!!We enjoyed a nice walk down to the pier on the river,a lovely warm late afternoon,there is a nice swimming pool down by the river too!We had a nice BBQ later on the Chalet Deck,nice deck overlooking the river with lots of outdoor seating!After dinner we had a great game of cards!!We all had a nice bed to sleep on.Next morning we had a great breakfeast courtesy of the resourcefulness of this great family of women!This is a great place to enjoy a night any time of the year!My wife and I are planning to come back just the two of us!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Bonavista, Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Oh my. Everytime I come to Kilmory, I see beautiful eagles soaring about. Truly magnificent birds. Cottage 19 is where we stayed and if I didn't know better, I would have sworn we were in a log cabin tucked far away into the woods. We had an incredible two night stay. Strawberry Daiquiris never tasted so sweet as we watched the flow of Swift Current from our deck. Our fully equipped cottage even had a blender supplied to us by the owner to mix our yummy drinks. I slept like a baby in the cozy upstairs bedroom which had a large window overlooking the water. I must congratulate the management and team on being meticulously clean and tidy.
Yup, this is truly a Lovers retreat. I have seen a seal floating down the river on a piece of ice, eagles and a little squirrel paid us a visit in the morning. I can't wait til my next trip back here!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary B
spanish room, newfoundland and labrador
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Last weekend my wife and I took our grandchildren (8 and 5) to Kilmory to spend the night, and enjoy sightseeing around the Bonavista Peninsula. The cottage was comfortable, and we found the natural wood to be homey and relaxing. The chalet was clean, and all necessary amenities were available. The staff were friendly and accommodating ... the kind of service we expect in Newfoundland and Labrador. Because it was cold and windy, we were unable to enjoy the outdoors, but the scenery in Swift Current is spectacular at any time of year. I spend a lot of time in hotels as I travel for work. I do not expect to feel as if I am in a hotel when I am at a resort (nor do I want to)... I like the rustic charm and natural wooded surroundings. The grandchildren look forward to playing in the playground and exploring the beaches when we return in the summer. One complaint: I forgot to leave the key in the chalet as instructed when we departed early on a Sunday morning; on Sunday evening I was unable to contact anyone to return it. However, when I did return the key on Monday, I was thanked warmly by the maid, and thanked in an email by the owner, Roger. We will try to follow directions in the summer ...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank theauldartist
Mount Pearl, Newfoundland, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I booked a two bedroom standard A-frame cottage for what was supposed to be a relaxing day skiing at White Hills. However, two days before we were set to arrive three out of the five people who were travelling with us decided that they were unable to go due to unforeseen circumstances. I immediately called Kilmory Resort to cancel the reservation as our six person cottage would be too expensive for two people for one night. Apparently they need a WEEKS notice to cancel a cabin and refused to do anything for me. I would have to pay the full amount of the cabin for that night regardless whether I stayed there or not. Most places only require 24hrs notice so I think that 48hrs notice was more than sufficient. The cabin also needed a good dusting. Also Kilmory Resort may have been a four star resort when it was built, but it is certainly no more than a three star because all of the furnishings need to be updated. Overall the cottage was overpriced for the poor service I received. I DO NOT RECOMMEND!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sarah E
Roger J, Owner at Kilmory Resort, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Thank-you for your review on TripAdvisor. I really appreciate the feedback.

On your concerns about our cancellation policy. I’ve posted Kilmory Resort’s off-season cancellation policy here. I’ve also posted several other rural Newfoundland properties cancellation policies below, as taken from their web sites, for comparison.

If you check the others and compare Kilmory Resort’s cancellation policy to them ours is not dissimilar to what is the rural standard.

We operate as a destination property and unlike a city based hotel walk-in traffic is minimal so when a reservation is made and then cancelled without adequate notice it makes it impossible for us to re-book the chalet.

Adequate notice of a cancellation allows us time to rebook the reservation and there is no charge to the person who made the original reservation.

The cancellation policy protects our business against permanent loss of revenue due to last minute cancellations and protects our guests in that they do in fact have the room they requested when they arrive.

At the time your booking was made our cancellation policy was explained. I'm not sure if you are the person who actually made the booking but if you are I’m very sorry if you didn’t understand the policy.

Kilmory Resort Off-Season Cancellation Policy

A valid credit card number is required to secure your booking. In the Off- Season 10 days notice is required for a reservation cancellation. With less than 10 days notice of a cancellation a fee for the first nights accommodation will be charged to the credit card provided.

Cancellation policies from a sample other rural NL operators.

Example #1
Reservations are fully refundable if cancelled 30 days or more in advance of your arrival. For reservations cancelled or reduced with between 2 and 29 days notice, we will retain the 25% deposit. Reservations cancelled or reduced with less than 48 hours notice are non-refundable.

Example # 2
Reservation deposits will be refunded in full if cancelled more than 14 days in advance of your arrival. If you must cancel within 14 days of arrival, please call. If we are able to rebook your room, we will refund your deposit. If we are unable to rebook your room, your first night's stay will be forfeited.

Example #3
A refund of 50% of deposit if cancelled 30 days or more before arrival date. For cancellations less than 30 days, a 50% refund of deposit may be given if the cottage is rebooked. If the cottage cannot be rebooked no refund will be given.

On you rate comment I’ve recently checked rates across Newfoundland for similar two bedroom fully-equipped 3 or 4 star rated housekeeping cottages. The rates range in the off-season from $149.00 to $269.00 per night depending on the property.

The Saturday night you stayed here your rate was $159.00 for a 2 bedroom cottage.

Even though our cottages are some of the largest and best equipped two bedroom units in Newfoundland our prices are on the low end of the off-season rates charged by operators in the Province.

By far the majority of comments we receive from our clients are that our cottages are a great value for the rate charged. As rates are very subjective issue I’m very sorry that you didn’t think so.

Again thank-you for your review and feedback.

Roger Jamieson
Owner

Travelers are raving about these Swift Current hotels

St. John's, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The cabin itself was just OK. Given the price, I would expect much better or more attention paid to small things. Not really what I was expecting given the high cost. No place to hang coats, only in the closet in the downstairs bedroom. A few hooks by the door would even be an improvement. The railing to the upstairs bedroom was rickety and could not be trusted. No cell service. No internet service which was advertised. 3 TV channels when the ad states "satellite tv". I was not able to access the swimming area as there were too many steps (I have a disability). Bring all of your groceries that you will ever need while staying there as there is no where to purchase anything (even a loaf of bread) within a 30 minute drive. I was absolutely disappointed in this property. If the price was 1/3 of what they are charging, it would be a bargain....however, certainly not given the price. I've stayed in many rental cabins throughout Newfoundland. This was the most expensive and my least favorite.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Judy F
Roger J, Owner at Kilmory Resort, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and your comments and suggestions for improvements.
We are constantly upgrading our accommodations and services to meet our guest’s needs.
Since your stay in July 2012 we have made many improvements and upgrades to the chalets.
In all the cottages we have upgraded the couches and upholstered chairs and other furniture.
Also all the beds have been replaced with high end Simmons pillow top hotel mattresses. They are very comfortable.
We have increased the number of internet repeaters at the Resort so the signal strength has been improved in all the chalets for easier wireless internet access.
Normally there are 6 satellite TV channels available. During your stay we were having a problem with a distribution amplifier which has since been replaced. We are doing a further upgrade of our TV system this spring (2013).
Cellular service is available in many areas of the resort and in most chalets. Unfortunately because of the mountainous terrain in this area cell signal is not available everywhere or in every chalet.
We have now erected cell phone signs around the Resort where the signal is strongest so guests without cell service in their chalet will know where to go to get access.
We are in discussion with New Tel Mobility on how to further improve the service but unfortunately that’s in their control not ours.
Also there is a new convenience store and tea room opening 5 minutes away from Kilmory in Swift Current this spring (2013) so our guests will no longer have to travel 15 minutes to North Harbour for groceries.
There is access to the pool without using the steps but this wasn’t indicated in the guest services directory in each cottage. We have now added how to get to the pool without using the steps to the guest services directory.
Again thank-you for your review. We appreciate the feedback.
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I don't know where to start, I've been to Kilmory about a half-dozen times over the past few years and loved every visit the same as the first. Part of the allure for my girlfriend and I has been the remote location and tranquility that comes from being able to disconnect from society. however, the wireless internet and ability to get cell service at a couple of locations on the resort are a definite plus for when life happens to come calling...

My first impressions were that the resort could possibly have used a few cosmetic upgrades but I can honestly say that my last visit while working with Targa Newfoundland in Sept. 2012 was an absolute improvement. The cabins are all spotlessly clean, furniture has been upgraded, the grounds are well-maintained, and the new deck furniture made relaxing and watching the sun set over a cold beer and bbq the best end to a day that one could ask for.

The other perk of the resort is the sheer number of activities that you can do in the surrounding area, Roger (the owner/operator) is a super-friendly man and was willing to take the time to tell us all about the hiking trails, swimming at piper's hole, nearby stores and historic sites, and even catered to us with rentals of kayaks, the aluminum boat, and fishing gear to try our hand at the sea trout that are found swimming off the warf. Overall whether you just want a relaxing weekend of romance, a fun-filled adventure weekend, or a family vacation where mom and dad can ditch the kids and have some alone time I have seen all of this and more at Kilmory and will continue to come back whenever I get the chance.

Room Tip: The studios are great for a cheap and relaxing getaway