“Remote”
Review of Kilmory Resort

Kilmory Resort
Reviewed September 3, 2012

These cabins are beautiful, with high ceilings and fans for summer and a hot tub, fireplace and kitchen. But the furniture was outdated, uncomfortable and an old big back tv with no cable!!! These was no wifi connection and no cell phone service, which I found very annoying. Overall an awesome place to get away from everything but needs furniture improvements and electronic enhancements. Never saw or heard from the owners only to pay, oh and there was a BBQ also.

• Stayed: April 2012
Roger J, Owner at Kilmory Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor and your positive comments and suggestions for improvements.
Chalet #11 is truly a beautiful chalet in a great private location.
We are constantly upgrading our accommodations and services.
Since your stay in April 2012 we have made many improvements and upgrades to the chalets.
To address some of your specific suggestions;
In all the cottages we have upgraded the couches and upholstered chairs and other furniture.
All the beds have been replaced with high end Simmons pillow top mattresses.
We have added 4 additional internet repeaters at the Resort so the signal strength has been increased in all the chalets for easier access.
We have increased the number of TV channels to 6 and plan to do a further upgrade in 2013.
Cellular service is available in many areas of the resort. Unfortunately the signal is not available everywhere or in every chalet.
The Chalet you were in is located down a small hill and behind the mountain that is across the river. This blocks the signal from the cell tower in Chalet #11.
We have now erected cell phone signs around the Resort where the signal is strongest so guests without cell service in their chalet will know where to go to get access.
Again thank-you for your review. We appreciate the feedback.

There are newer reviews for Kilmory Resort

Reviewed August 29, 2012

I honestly don't know where to start.
When we priced this place before booking we thought that it was a little pricey but figured it must be worth it. We were very wrong.

We stayed in cabin #2, a two bedroom. The cabin is very modern and done up pretty nice. However,
The fridge barely worked. Everything we had with us was warm and thawed out, it was impossible to keep anything cold.
There was only one frying pan in the cabin, which is definitely not enough for 4 people.
Our BBQ wouldn't work the 2nd night, so we had to borrow our neighbours BBQ.
The website and brochures advertise satellite TV yet there are only 5 channels.
They also advertise wireless internet but we couldn't get that to work at all.

Our deciding factor on staying at Kilmory was the fact that we could rent kayaks. All 4 of us love kayaking and were really looking forward to it. On the 2nd day we went down to the office to rent 2 double kayaks only to find out that only one kayak was working. Again, a huge disappointment. The lady at the desk asked if we would be interested in renting a boat instead. We had seen some really nice speed boats tied up on the dock so we decided to do that. However, when we went down to get in the boat, we were put in the smallest and oldest boat there. We actually had to bail it out half way through our trip.

Next we decided to go swimming in the heated outdoor pool (since it was the only other thing left to do). It is a nice size pool, and is heated. but it is extremely DIRTY. There was dirt floating around in it everywhere. It was quite obvious that it hadn't been cleaned for a while.

The next issue arose when we went to check out and pay for the cabin. The bill came to over $550 for a two night stay in the cabin plus the boat rental ($35), which was definitely not what we were quoted. When we questioned it, we were told that there was a $10 charge for every extra person after the first 2, PER NIGHT. Although I have since realized that this is stated on the website, we didn't look at the website before arriving. We made the reservation over the phone and were not told about this extra charge. Most people would assume that the
price of a 2 bedroom cabin includes 4 people -- how often would only 2 people choose to rent a cabin like this and need separate rooms?? I think that the lady on the desk did adjust the price somewhat once we complained, but in the end we still ended up paying about $220 per night, which we thought was ridiculous and very overpriced.

To sum it all up, the entire 2 days was a huge disappointment, a waste of money and was definitely my first and last trip to Kilmory Resort.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank AprilleWhelan
Roger J, Owner at Kilmory Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

I am very sorry that you were disappointed with your recent stay at Kilmory Resort and appreciate you taking the time to review your stay.

During your time here I spoke to your group of guests at least 4 times, when you rented the boat, twice while doing the cottage rounds and once when we discussed having you stay in the Jacuzzi Chalet for the second night.

I wish you would have brought up any concerns you had to me at any of the times we spoke.
Any problem I or the front office was made aware of would have been rectified right away.

I was also the person who took your reservation over the phone. I remember it specifically as you wanted the Jacuzzi Cottage for the first night and then wanted to move to a Standard Chalet at a lower rate for the second.

I quoted you on the phone the exact rate that you were charged at check-out for 4 adults. Also before finishing the call with you I went over the rate and the days you were booked for again.
I am sorry if I did not communicate the rate effectively.

On your question about extra person charges after the first two adults (double occupancy is the term used.) These are standard in the hospitality industry whether you are in a hotel or a cottage. The charge for the two extra adults was included in the rate I quoted and confirmed with you on the phone.

After your first night here I dropped by your cottage to let you know that rather than inconvenience you with a move to another cottage we would leave you in the larger Jacuzzi cottage and charge you the lower rate for the smaller cottage and asked if that would be OK. To which you agreed.

Upon reading your comment sheet (that you left on checked-out) I immediately when to Chalet # 2 to have a look at the problems you outlined and I would like to address them and the others you have listed on TripAdvisor specifically.

I checked the fridge. This is a new fridge bought this June. The thermostat was turned to 2. It actually goes all the way to twelve. To keep your things cold it just needed to be turned to a higher number. We have had no problems with this fridge either before your stay or since.

I brought my laptop to the cottage and had no problem getting on the internet sitting at the kitchen table by the window. After Labour Day weekend we will cut back some trees around the chalet to make the signal a little stronger in Chalet #2 so internet will be available anywhere within the cottage.

The BBQ was not broken but was out of propane. We keep track of when we change the BBQ tanks and they normally last 8 days. This tank was changed 4 days prior to your stay and should have been at least half full. Either someone left the valve on or did an incredible amount of Bbqing in 4 days. We keep spare propane on hand at all times at the office and would have brought a full tank to your cottage if asked. We will now check the tanks more often.

There were two double kayaks available. The single kayak was unavailable as a guest recently broke the rudder cables which have now been repaired. I am very sorry if there was some miscommunication on my staff’s part on this.

We rent 15 foot boats with under 10 HP outboard motors. We are not allowed under Transport Canada regulations to rent anything with a larger motor. I believe I told your group this when one of the men inquired about the larger boats at the wharf.

The pool is cleaned 7 days a week at 9 am and opened at 10 am. Sometimes during the day leaves may fall in the pool as it is surrounded by trees. We do check the pool during the day and scoop them out. I would guess the time you were in the pool was between normal checks.

Thank- you again for bringing these issues to our attention and taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I am staying at the resort as I write this review. I am in Cabin number 8 with my husband and my 8 year old son. We are staying in a studio chalet and it is perfect. There is a new bbq on the deck along with a picnic table and two lounge chairs. My son has been enjoying the heated pool and having a lot of fun. The view is beautiful from our deck and it is very peaceful to sit out there and look out at the water. I have no trouble getting internet connection and have been using it without any problems at all. When we arrived the cabin was very clean and the staff who greeted us at check-in were very helpful and friendly. The lady who came with clean towels today was also very nice and even made time to have a friendly conversation with me. I did not get her name but I know she did say she has only been here a few months. We have been spending our summer vacation here for four years now and would never think of going anywhere else. I have nothing to complain about as we have been treated very good while here and have had no issues mentioned in past reviews. I always leave here feeling very relaxed and my son has a lot of fun at the pool and fishing off the wharf at night with his father. I will keep coming back because I love it here. We have had no problems with noise at all. If you are looking for a place to come and relax this would be a wonderful choice. Looking forward to next summer and hoping to stay longer next time.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My partner and I stayed here (in Newfoundland, Trip Advisor, not Saskatchewan) after spending a lovely weekend in St. Pierre. We decided to break up our long drive back to Fogo Island and as it was advertised as being 4-star, thought it was a good choice. I called the hotel from the road and was told they had several chalets available. She gave me the prices and I called her back after we discussed it. As there was just the two of us, we decided to stay in the studio and I was told the price was $129. I asked if there was a barbecue and was told yes "Our chalets are fully equipped for cooking". She informed me that there was no longer even a convenience store in Swift Current so we should stock up in Marystown, which we did.

We arrived for check-in and were greeted well enough. However, my partner noticed that we were charged $179 as she handed him our receipt. We told her that we were quoted $129 and she realized that we had been booked in for the wrong chalet. And on top of that, the price of $129 was wrong. She said the studio was supposed to be $139. I retrieved the paper I had written the quotes down on and she said that while I had been quoted incorrectly, she would honour the $129. But she didn't know if our chalet had been cleaned. She had to drive her van down to the chalet to check. She left us alone in the office and asked us to tell anyone that came by that she would be back in a minute. When she returned she said it was ready but then she had major issues giving us our refund with the machine. Finally she gave us cash back.

She pointed out our chalet on a satellite image map which was hard to figure out. And we did take a wrong turn while trying to find it. We thought that a little map/photocopy of the resort would have been more helpful.

We got to our chalet and were a little underwhelmed to say the least. I will say that it was mostly clean but that's about all it had going for it. The light over the bed was just a bare bulb, the coat rack was actually behind the couch (you had to stand on the couch to reach it), there were 4 glasses in the cupboard, only 2 of which matched, no wine glasses (we drank our wine from mugs), a coat hook was broken off, the fridge had no ice cube trays (presumably so you'd buy ice from them, which we did) and there were finishing nails holding the window screens in place.

I sat to read the information binder and found out that there is an emergency number you can call after hours - the staff leaves at 8:30 I think it was. However, the chalets don't have phones and there is no cell service. Plus, they don't give you this emergency number on check-in so if you don't happen to read the binder before they leave you're out of luck. As it was, we would have had to walk or drive back to the main office to get the number. Why not give it upon check-in?

They provide cards or board games with a small refundable deposit which is nice but since we had to leave before the staff returned at 8:00 the next morning, we couldn't take advantage of this without losing our deposit. So much for that. There is satellite TV, which was a total of 5 channels, 2 of which were broadcasting the same show.

There is a sign telling you that there is a $15 charge if you don't wash your dishes which is fine but they didn't provide a washcloth or a cup towel! Fully equipped? I don't think so. There is a coffee maker but no coffee provided - even the cheapest hotel I've stayed in provides a packet of coffee, tea and whitener.

I was ready to give this property a passing grade at 3/5 until the last straw. Because there wasn't a dishcloth, we had to use the facecloth to wash the dishes and we used the hand towel to dry our hands. When I looked, we had ONE bath towel. When we got a shower the next morning, we had to share a towel to dry off. $129 for the twelve hours we were there and we had to share a towel? That was unacceptable to me.

The toiletries are really cheap, there was a thick layer of dust under the microwave, the bed wasn't very comfortable and the sheets smelled kind of musty. Add that to the other issues and I have no problem saying that this resort is definitely not a 4-star property. As a former flight attendant, I have traveled extensively and this doesn't live up to it's rating. And just as a side note, the chalets are not really all that private. You can't exactly see your neighbours but you can hear them - one had a barking dog, the other was playing music. Not a big deal, just that it's not that secluded. The view from our deck was beautiful though. I just wish I was able to say more positive things. I did write all of this in the comments section of our binder, along with my e-mail address should they wish to contact me, but they never did. I doubt we will stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sporti883
Roger J, Owner at Kilmory Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your recent stay at Kilmory Resort.

Upon reading your comment sheet (when you checked out) I held a meeting with the staff to find out why not enough towels and dish cloths were left in your cottage as well as to why the light fixture and coat hook were not replaced. We also reviewed your other concerns.

In way of explanation when we originally reserved your cottage an honest mistake was made on our part and we had you booked in a loft cottage. This cottage was ready with necessary towels, dish cleaning supplies etc.for your check-in.

Upon you pointing out our mistake we moved you to the studio cottage which had been cleaned but towels and dish washing supplies had not been added since we thought it wasn’t booked for the night. When the front office person checked the cottage she didn’t notice that these items were not in the cottage.

We have now changed procedures to assure that this doesn’t happen in the future, have added wine glasses in all the chalets, rearranged the furniture in this cottage so the cloths rack is easy to access, and addressed the three maintenance issues you brought to our attention.

Thank- you for bringing the issues to our attention.

I would like to once again apologize for your experience. What you have outlined does not meet the standards that we thrive to provide our valued guests.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I will start off by saying that the owner and staff go above and beyond exceptional service.
We had two chalets booked to accommodate a family of 9. one of which is in a wheel chair.
I do have to say that the resort is not in my opinion wheelchair accessible, yes she could get around with assistance. the pool she could not get to in her chair, she had to be carried from the driveway,( she is small).
the water pipe broke in one of the cabins and they moved us right away and did not charge us for that night..
the chalets do need a bit of an upgrade and more fans, it can get very warm.
there is no cell coverage in the chalets and very limited internet, and very few tv stations.
this I did not mind...no phone/tv/internet....it was perfect!!! but it should not be offered if they do not provide it.
All that said I had one of the best family vactions ever, I went with my three kids teens and two 10 yr olds.
the grounds are beautiful, pool is nice, and staff is top notch.
this is not a four star resort maybe a 1 or 2, but i would go back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank nic709
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Just back from spending five fabulous days at Kilmory Resort in Swift Current, NL. We have been staying there regularly for the past 10+ years and always enjoy it. My son is 13 now and actually said that he wants to stay for two weeks when we go back next year. We stayed in Cabin # 7 and the only issue we had was with the TV not having a HDMI interface and even that wasn’t an issue as management changed it out before we got there. Now that’s service... We spent out days fishing, boating, swimming, playing games and going for hikes in the area. Nights for the most part saw us playing games on the Internet or watching Apple TV. Overall is was a great stay and I would not hesitate to recommend the resort to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We booked for a night on the way to fortune and were very disappointed. We arrived at 6 pm expecting to go for a swim, we were told that the pool closed at 6 but they might keep it open for a few minutes extra for us. We went to find the pool but it is apparently about half a mile away, down a flight of stairs, we never did find it but I have a bad knee and could not have done the stairs anyway. This was not mentioned on the web site. We asked to cancel our reservation as we had not even opened the cabin. We were told it would be a full charge of 159 dollars. We tried to negotiate offering to pay a percentage and were told the cancellation policy was inflexible. The clerk said we could email the owner. We stayed for lack of a better option and no telephone, 4 TV channels with poor reception, no chairs on the deck, just a beat up picnic table. There is a sign in the kitchen that says you are going to be charged 15 bucks if you leave dirty dishes in spite of paying 159 plus tax for the cabin...this is ridiculous...the cabin also smells very musty so if you want to spend 159 plus tax for this be my guest...we told the desk clerk we would be posting this on the web and she said go ahead, made no effort to be helpful by calling the owner...they obviously could care less about their guests and it shows on every level...definitely not a good choice for the money

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Snobrdon
Roger J, Owner at Kilmory Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Thank you for your comments. I take all reviews very seriously and use them to improve our service. I’m very sorry that we did not meet your expectations for your night here.
I have been in the tourism business for over 20 years and hosted over 200,000 guests at Kilmory Resort so I understand that we are in the “happiness business”. If a guest is not happy, to be honest, I am not happy either. We always want to meet our guests’ expectations.
Thank-you for dropping by on your way back from Fortune after our phone calls to you, we were glad to refund the total cost of your stay.
There are a couple of things in your review that I would like to address.
Your suggestion to change our web site regarding the location of the pool is valid. We will edit our web site to say that the pool is 330 meters from the closest cabin (the actual distance), that it can be accessed by using the stairs and walkway along the beach, or for anyone with a mobility issue, the pool can be driven to and accessed with no stairs from the parking spot behind the pool.
The pool is normally open until 7pm each night except Monday nights, usually the quietest night of the week, when we close at 6pm so weekly maintenance can be done. We did keep the pool open until 7PM for you on the Monday night you were here and kept our maintenance person back for an extra hour so we could complete the weekly pool maintenance procedures after your swim.
I’m sorry that you ultimately chose not to use the pool. It is a lovely secluded place to swim.
The picnic table on your deck was new in May of this year and I’m happy to report that following your comments we have now added Adirondack chairs to all the cottage decks.
Again, thank you for your comments and pointing out areas for improvement.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Swift Current
#4 of 4 in Clarenville
Arnold's Cove Inn
Arnold's Cove Inn
#1 of 1 in Arnold's Cove

Been to Kilmory Resort? Share your experiences!