“Owner's Thoughts”

Ranked #33 of 73 Hotels in Daytona Beach
River Rouge, Michigan
“Owner's Thoughts”
Reviewed September 25, 2006

As a owner for five years now the grand seas has changed a little in that time. When you go to the grand seas website you see a living room with a nice plasma tv hanging on the wall. During my stay I talked with several other couples who was stay there at the same time I was and no one had plasma tv's in there rooms. Some of the problems I came across during my stay was 1. Paint cracking in the bedroom.
2. The in room safe was not securely attached to the floor.
3. Rust in the microwave.
4. Jucuzzi tub didn't work.
The only thing that was different from the last time I was there (Nov. 2004) was the floor in the front lobby and they were working on it when in was there in 2004. The Club Navigo people really persue you to buy into there club to exchange resorts and when you decline they get rude . If I could get out I would, but I here getting out is the problem.

• Liked — In Room internet. In room movies
  • Disliked — No plasma TV unlike what the website shows
  • Tips/Secrets — RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY!!!!!!!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Nascarman88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Sorrento, FL
Reviewed August 28, 2006

My husband and I went to see the resort while researching Five Star timeshare properties in the area. We were very impressed with the multitude of amenities and cleanliness of the entire property. There was some constrction/rennovation going on so one building had a little dust. But everywhere we went there were families having a blast! Yes, it was very crowded, IT WAS SUMMERTIME IN FLORIDA! It is a VERY large property so lots of activity going on. And yes, parking was difficult because it is reserved for timeshare owners, not daily visitors so we just parked across the street no big deal, what would you expect when one shows up unannounced to tour the property!

The units were very nicely decorated with jacuzzi tubs and full kitchens, even in the Studio units. You can walk to shopping and restaurants and there is a breakfast restaurant on-site as well as a sandwich shop, indoor lounge and beachside tiki bar. They have 2 extra large beachfront pools and one large indoor pool. The resort is only 2-3 miles north of Main St. and about 5-6 miles from Daytona Speedway, so would be a great location for race fans. It is a 5 star property and there are only a couple of those on the beach.

In regards to the other review where he witnessed an owner saying she could not stay in her own unit, it is my understanding that the timeshare weeks are floating unless you own race week so that might explain why the lady was confused. That means you can use any week of the year you wish, so they would be putting you in whatever unit is available for the week you requested. I also would like to add that if you're going to visit a Florida beach resort in peak season better be prepared for a crowd! We are native Floridians so we know not to expect privacy and personal attention during that timeframe! This is a great resort with a lot to offer. We enjoyed our visit and definitely will be on the lookout for an ownership week at this resort.

• Liked — Awesome pools, 2 beachfront, 1 indoor for rainy days.
  • Disliked — Crowded, but it was summer.
  • Tips/Secrets — Having a full kichen in every unit is a great feature and cost effective.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank CorvetteBlondie
Reviewed August 20, 2006

We have been going to Daytona for the last 16 years. We usually stay at a hotel (not fancy ones) but with my brother buying into a timeshare at the Grand Seas - we all thought we would try it. This year we had 4 families going down. First off - none of us were able to get any great deals because of my brother's ownership at the Grand Seas. I was able to obtain three rooms through a broker - did get a great deal. I had no problems with check-in - we were even able to check in 3 hours early. The room was a little disappointing. We were hoping for a bigger kitchen - like the pictures on the internet - didn't complain though because we really liked the size of the unit. We had two bedrooms and two baths. The floor is all ceramic tile - hard to keep clean so I went out and bought myself some flip flop slippers to keep my feet clean. The resort has three pools - one indoor and two outdoor, plus a kiddie pool at three hot tubs. The slide at the big pool was broken - hear that it's been that way for a while. I did overhear maintenance that they ordered a new slide and it should arrive within two weeks. We were there for two weeks and it never happened. Then I heard that it was always broken. Kids didn't complain at all though. Music is played each day at the pool - kids enjoyed the DJ on Sundays - he keeps everyone entertained and has contests such as belly flops, hulla hoop, trivia - etc. Other DJs just played music and sometimes it was quite loud - you could not carry on a conversation with the person next to you. The resort has a gym that is pretty good. Several eliptical machines, treadmills and weight machines - more equipment than what most hotels have. The resort also has a tiki bar outside and a restaurant that you can order food poolside. Food was great and so were the drinks ordered - the kids even had kiddie drinks. There is also a jungle gym outside for the kids - they really enjoyed that too. Parking was difficult on the weekends as the resort was more crowded but we were always able to get a space. We didn't seem to mind that housekeeping only came on Tuesdays and Saturdays. It was strange having to exchange your linens/towels each day on your own - but we got used to it. The resort does not have balconies but the windows are floor to ceiling so you could still enjoy the ocean - the dolphins were plenty this year. I also felt that no balcony was safer due to the little kids in our party. I know that is a downside for some people - but it didn't matter to us. Loved having Publix, Walgreens, Dots, Bealls - all across the street. Very convenient. We did have an extra visitor the last two nights - my husband was finally able to kill it the last night and the exterminator came the day we left - but that is life in Florida. We really enjoyed our stay at the Grand Seas. It was a different experience for us since we have never stayed at a timeshare resort - but all and all - it was pretty nice. I have stayed at five star resorts before - this is not one of them. It's a great place for families - be prepared for crowds on the weekends but by Tuesday things seem to settle down. Locals who have ownership in the resort can use the facilities for the day - so on weekends it can get quite crowded. If you like a family atmosphere - and plenty of activities to keep you and kids busy - this really is the place to be. We met several families there that were very friendly and all the kids got along. We look forward to staying at the Grand Seas next year.

• Liked — Having two bedrooms and two baths - I have four children so the extra space was great!!!
  • Disliked — The kitchen - I could have asked to change rooms in order to obtain a bigger kitchen - but just didn't feel like putting forth the effort.
  • Tips/Secrets — If you are not an owner - look to rent from one - rates are cheaper
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
8 Thank stubbytoes
Bucks Co.Pa
Reviewed August 13, 2006

We just returned from a 90 minute (that' s right) visit to this facility.
We traded a Marriott Grande Vista lockout for it and feel we were mislead by Interval International as it is rated five star. No way.
We changed units, but found the soggy, moldy conditions,as well as the noise and smoke from the beach bar too much to endure for a week. We toured the grounds and did like the view and the beach, although the steps down to the beach were treacherous.
Olivia at the front desk was very gracious. The website says this has been completely renovated, and it shows stainless appliances. Our unit had an electric stove with crooked coils dating back to the sixties. It had been retiled throughout, but was early budget motel decor. We just couldn' t imagine actually sleeping there. We also encountered a young (20's) man in the filthy elevator who told us he and 20 friends had just arrived for the week. I'm sure they were really going to enjoy the loud music and the well publicized 29 cent draft beer. No thanks. We bolted even though it was a huge financial hit to rebook flights, etc.

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — cleanliness and tackiness
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank reute

Travelers are raving about these Daytona Beach hotels

Columbus
Reviewed August 2, 2006

This was our second year to stay at the Grand Seas. We were hoping for a better experience this year. Although it was better, it did not come close to a "Five-Star Resort" experience. Parking is a real problem. Check-in is tedious and difficult. Some areas have seen refurbishment after the hurricane, but the effort is really lacking. For the second year now the sliding board into one of the pools was broken so that our grandchildren could not use it. There is a general lack of pride in the facility that appears to come from the top down. The general manager is rude with guests. Instead of guests feeling wanted and appreciated they are made to feel like they are doing management a favor just being there. At other Club Navigo resorts we have been treated royally. It is only here, at our home resort, that conditions are terrible.

Management needs to take a more active role in the cleanliness of the entire facility. Pride in doing a good job can't be expected of the staff when the top people are rude and uncaring.

The pools and the location are great. The potential is there to be a really great resort -- too bad it isn't!

• Liked — Pool. location on the beach
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, Lack of personable management, Lack of pride in the resort
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Bigweave
florida
Reviewed July 25, 2006

After reading the other revues I just couldn't help myself! My wife & child went to daytona to look at timeshare resorts for purchase, well it all started with no place to park. We waited for about 20-30 minutes at the front desk area to talk to someone about seeing a model. During that time we saw at least three different people at the check in desk that were really p.o.'d .One stated that she OWNED that week with deed to a specific unit number so how come she couldn't GET HER UNIT. What do you mean someone else is staying in it! Another couple sitting next to us stated that they paid for a unit to stay that week ,6 months prior, yet had no place to stay. When we finally talked to someone(by rudely interupting the front desk) we were told to get a voucher at the fitness center to park across the street at the shopping center so as not to be towed. We finally got to see a model unit by asking around And following some sales people. The units are quite nice, to bad the rest of the place(the way it 's run )will make you not want anything to do with the place. IN OTHER WORDS STAY AWAY UNLESS YOU LIKE STRESSSS!!!

• Liked — amenities
  • Disliked — extremely poor management
  • Tips/Secrets — stay away from grand seas resort! you might just sleep in your car!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank cobraguy2
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 29, 2006

We have not even had a chance to use our time share at the Grand Seas resort because after making reservations in April for our stay in July low and behold nobody can find our confirmation number in the system. Is it my imagination or does the personal come and go like revolving doors? I think the second our sales rep made the sale she quit. All year long we paid for a two bedroom which is what we bought. Why is it that this is not what we are offered ? We leave in four days and have yet recieved a return call to the hundreds we have left them. Does anyone know of any legal action taken against club navigo I like to jump on the bandwagon.

Stayed April 2006
The Cove on Ormond Beach
The Cove on Ormond Beach
#9 of 28 in Ormond Beach
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Daytona Beach

Been to Grand Seas Resort? Share your experiences!