“worth the stay”
Review of Grand Seas Resort

Grand Seas Resort
Ranked #32 of 73 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Reviewed October 12, 2013

This was our 5th stay at this resort. After last years stay I told my wife that I was not coming back but we decided to give it one more try and we sure are glad that we did.
They have had a change in Management and everything was great and went the way that you would hope that a vacation would.
Every room is an ocean front room and our room looked as if it had been updated within the past year. All of the appliances worked well (the stove could have been newer but no big deal) and the service was great.
The staff was helpful:
One of the shower controls stopped working and it was repaired within 15 minutes of my call to the front desk.
Towel exchanges were done without question and was available 0800 until 1700 daily.
Complaints:
Internet worked only in the lobby. This sucked and should not be happening in 2013.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the South end of the building. The parking lot is much bigger on this end.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Shannon M
There are newer reviews for Grand Seas Resort

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Spent a week in a 1 bedroom (5052). Place was ok, but NOT a 5 star resort. I would rate it a 2 star.
Pro's - Oceanfront which was nice. Kitchen was newer and clean. AC worked great for us. Towel exchange is more than most resorts will offer. One Midweek cleaning is standard with weeklong timeshares, now. We needed extra toilet paper and the person at the front desk had some in the back room and gave us two rolls. Most places, they will call housekeeping and you have to wait an hour before they bring it up. Direct access to the beach was nice.

Con's - Bed was hard as a rock! Only one side of bed had a table and lamp. For some reason, toilets are very, very low?!? You had to endure the "timeshare" sales people, because that was the only way you got your "welcome packet", which included everything you need to know about the basic services available and check out. Furnture was dated, but not dirty. Restaurant food was not very good. Pool area needs to be updated and the pools need to be drained, painted and sealed. Pool lounge chairs were just as hard as the beds!!!

This was good for what I paid for the week, which was $249 through an Interval International "Getaway" purchase. If I had paid any more or swapped my "real 5 star resort" for this, I would have been very angry.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ken P
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is really a very poor resort, not deserving of its "stars" indeed not worthy of any, everything about it is 1960's. The lobby with its artificial plants, very small with a few chairs and that's it. Always fairly busy for despite advertising Wi Fi it is only generally available in the lobby area, a great inconvenience for all. I would not dream of eating in their dull restaurant which incidentally closes at 8pm, it is so dreadful in appearance but I cannot of course comment about there food.
The rooms all appear to be ocean facing with entrance doors opening onto very long corridors served by I believe three elevators, their is a dank and damp feeling about the area, the floor area in a very sad state.
As for the rooms they are at least clean and functional, furniture in ours was ok but very dated, very little wardrobe space and only one bedside light in the bedroom with no clock or central light. Because the window opens onto the corridor one cannot open it for either light or fresh air.
Bathrooms all small with having to climb into the bath to take a shower.
Whilst we had travelled from the UK happily this was our last week, the previous two having been spent in luxury in Orlando.
Kitchen and lounge area clean and useable.
Neither the room telephone or safe worked during our visit and after numerous visits by their maintainace staff we simply gave up on it, there is only so much time of your vacation that can be spent on such matters.
The pool area offers very poor loungers with no umbrellas or staff around to assist.

We most certainly will not use it again and would suggest others do the same.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alan L
Reviewed September 19, 2013

My home resort is Harborside at Atlantis, so I am used to a more upscale timeshare experiece so based on the previous reviews my expectations were exceedingly low. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed Grand Seas Resort. The lobby, our first impression, was nicely decorated and had a more modern feel than I imagined. The front desk was polite and checked me in quickly and offered us some great coupons.

I was nervous about our room based on reviews and user photos, but it was really nice. We had a ocean front studio on the fifth floor which is basically a room with a bed, high-top dining table with chairs, couch, nice large flat screen and dvd and a small but usable kitchen on one side. The supply coffee machine dinnerware, cookware and even dish detergent. It is advertised to sleep four, (one bed- one pull out couch) but I myself think it would be tight with with adults and two kids and just uncomfortable with four adults. You would have zero privacy. Opt for a one bedroom studio, that has an actual bedroom if that is the case or two bedroom.

One con is that the mattress was awful. Thin and hollow in the middle, so you keep rolling into the center, but otherwise we had no issues. The a/c ran nice and cold and in the morning, but sometimes it was nice to have the window open to pick up the strong ocean breeze.

The hotel features, one indoor pool and hot tub and outside, two large pools and one small splash pool for little ones, with a new jungle gym to the side. We used the hotel's gym most mornings and while the machines are packed tightly and some stuff a little older, all worked and my boyfriend found the weight machines to be satisfactory for his needs.

You can drop your towels and linens off anytime and get new ones from the nice ladies in the laundry facility, and generally clean once a week. Also, luggage carts are convenient to grab without having to keep tipping someone to do it for you.

The pool also featured a Tiki bar which was nice if you want a drink or food from the onsite restaurant Gilligan'sand. They ran daily specials so you did not feel ripped off by hotel prices. I can drink $2.00 PBR any day. We did have lunch outside one day and the fish sandwich was awesome! My bf also enjoyed his burger and the prices were about $8-$10 a sandwich. The bartenders were nice and helpful.

While it is a private resort people did come in and out of the beach gates and seemed to use the facilities at will. There were no lifeguards or security, so the place was kind of at your own risk. My phone was stolen right of my lounge chair so be extra careful.

To sum up the trip, Daytona itself is pretty boring in September, but I could see us taking the kids there. I always thought it was more of a rednecky place full of bikers and strip clubs, but could have not been more wrong. It was like a cleaner Myrtle Beach.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room. I learned that they are in a process of renovating and all rooms were NOT...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stephcharleston70
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at the grand seas in August. rooms are filthy pools are dirtythere is NO internet service even though they say there is in there brochure. The air cionditioner can not keep up with keeping the room cool. all the furniture is old and worn out, the pool area is full of people that are not staying at the resort. You have been warned if you stay here you will be sorry!!!!!

Room Tip: there are no good rooms
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank vwbug69
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We exchanges our timeshare week for this "five star" resort. It was absolutely NOT five star, more like three star, at best. Elevators and hallways stunk-moldy smelling. Room was ok, but nothing to write home about. Everything was old and dated. Had to have maintenance up three times to fix running toliet (twice) and then the handle actually broke off of the toliet? Pools were ok and not too crowded but hated that the umbrellas were all taken up at five o'clock every day. Did not really enjoy the whole Daytona Beach atmosphere-expected something more like Mrytle Beach. Best part of the entire trip was the restaurant on site- Gilligans. The staff was great and food was decent for prices.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We arrived at The Grand Seas Resort earlier than our check in however the man at the desk was more than happy to let us know that our room was available.The room had a beautiful view of the beach & pool and was aslo very clean!My brother and sister in law came with us and we went to Charlie Horse for dinner which was very good.We decided rather than drive everywhere we would get a trolley pass for $3.00 each and was good for 24 hours.Saturday night we went down to the Boardwalk where they had a live band and later a fireworks show.At night we walked along the beach and in the morning watched the sun come up.It was a great weekend for all and I would do it again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple