“Had a wonderful time!!”

Tropical Winds Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #7 of 74 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Reviewed November 29, 2008

The Taj Mahal, no! But the rooms were clean and our ocean front room had a nice balcony from which we could enjoy the sun and sea. The rooms were clean and had all the accoutrements one would need. The property does have a budget orientation but it quickly became apparant that the staff and service were top shelf. I would reccomend it for any one but it will appeal most to those who are looking for great value.

One mistake we did make was not trying the small restaurant until the last day. It was a little gem with very good food and great service for a lunch or breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,095)

Reviewed November 12, 2008

We arrived on the 11th of November and will be leaving on the 13th. To echo the thoughts of someone else.......don't judge a book by its cover until you had the chance to view it. Granted the lobby area is small........but who books a hotel room to spend it in the lobby? Not me. The balcony is a little small but plenty big for two adults to sit out and enjoy the warm weather and watch the sights (beautiful sunrise). The restaurant staff and food was top notch. if you are on a tight budget and enjoy eating out from time to time you will be pleased to know that the food is very cheaply priced but yet, quite good, especially the breakfast sandwich. Two can dine for under $10 for breakfast or lunch. The pool is a great lounging area in the morning and early afternoon.............this time of year because the days are shorter and in the late afternoon the hotel blocks the sun from the pool area. This is not a huge problem becuase by this point in the day you have had enough sun and are ready for a stroll down the beach. If you still desire to swim in a pool there is a small indoor pool that can be used. As for our room (411), it was a nice room with an Oceanview and it was quite large. Much to our surprise the carpet was in pretty good shape, next to new I would say. There was a king sized bed with a day bed if you had a guest or child with you. The bathroom was a little old but the floor tile was in new condition. The shower didn't have the pressure that one would like but again it was adequate to get the job done. The bar fridge was handy for keeping our water, beer and diet pepsi cold. Parking was not an issue. The staff that we encountered were all very friendly and helpful from the moment we checked in. The lady who checked us in and the gentleman who was there in the evening were all willing to chat and provide advice. The restaurant staff can not do enough to help out, they even provide some humour at no additional charge. The lady working maintenance was the most cheerful person working there. We thought we had an issue with our remote and she was there to help us out almost before we hung up the phone. There should be a law against having that much energy.

Overall, we are completely satisfied with our stay.

Darren from Nova Scotia

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2008

I received a great off season rate. When we arrived my first impression was "oh no, I think I made a mistake" because the outside of the hotel is rather plain and a bit run down. The balconies looked very small and there was nothing appealing about the entrance area either. We walked in and the reception area was very stark and basic. The attendant was not very warm. I was getting even more apprehensive about my choice. But once handed the key and finding the room, things went uphill from there. The room was an ocean view king. It was much larger than I expected. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom updated with a marble countertop. There was a fridge, coffee maker and a small couch. I decided for the price we paid it was really pretty nice afterall. The outdoor pool was nice and the cafe for breakfast was really good and friendly. I would stay here again and I am happy to say that my first impression was not right !!

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed September 25, 2008

We were very happy with our September stay at the Tropical Winds hotel. We got an excellent price through expedia but we would have been happy even if we had paid double. We had the "oceanview" king room. The room was very spacious with new furniture and a newly updated bathroom. The carpet was a bit tired and the balcony on this room was a bit small. Next time we go to this property we will spend more and get the oceanfront king room --we checked this room out via cleaning staff and the room was very spacious and the view was amazing.
All of the staff we encountered at this property were very friendly. The restaurant by the pool had excellent prices--we only wished it stayed open even later. All in all for a budget property this place can't be beat.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2008

We came to Flordia because our son is going to school in Orlando this fall. I booked four nights at this hotel. I did not care for Orlando the first time we were in Flordia so we wanted to try Daytona. We found this hotel to be everything we needed and much more. I cannot say enough good things about it. We liked it so much we booked the room for an extra night. The staff was just super. We did not like the room location next to the pool ,no problem they moved us the next day. The cleaning staff was great and again cannot say enough good things about the Restaurant/Coffee Shop those guys do a wonderful job. The food was good and prices cannot be beat! They had the best coffee I have ever drank at a hotel!
If in Daytona again will be back!!!!! Hope it is soon!!!
If you want a very nice room and great beach location this is it.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2008

This is a really great place to stay. Not a Huge Resort, just the perfect size facility to make you feel really at home. Fantastic view from the ocean front rooms with wonderful amenities for the price. Two pools for water fun in almost any weather conditions.
The STAFF is Wonderful...Every Single One of Them!!!
The room was plenty large for our needs and the kitchen was perfect for our needs. Most our time not spent on our bicycles was spent in the pool...running on the beach...or chillin' out on the balcony. Simply Splendid!!!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2008

This place was NASTY! the lady at the front counter was NOT nice! All we done was open our door and the room smelled like pie, we tried to get our money back for all three nights I had pay for in Feb, but was told no. We had to stay one night there and got a refund the next morning for the other two days. The pool was a hole in the ground nothing for kids. I was told I would have a ocean view I did not. I would never tell anyone to stay that this place. The only thing we like about it was seeing the door close when we left!

Stayed: July 2008