“Fall asleep to the sound of the Ocean”

Tropical Winds Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #6 of 72 Hotels in Daytona Beach
St. Augustine, Florida
“Fall asleep to the sound of the Ocean”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I went to this hotel for New Year's. I chose an Ocean Front room and for it being a holiday it was an excellent price, around $88 with tax included.
It had a mini kitchen and a balcony and comfy (enough) beds. It was unseasonably warm though for New Year's so I wanted Air Conditioning and the unit didn't cool, the air was just humid and warm coming out of it. I told maintenance and he decided to replace the whole unit.
It was done while we were out.
The hotel was nice enough that we decided just to stay in for the night and watch the ball drop on TV instead of getting caught up in the crowded chaos down at the boardwalk area.
We observed fireworks from the balcony, along with about 12 other people in other rooms.
The champagne cork flew off and landed in the pool and I never found it again, not even in the filters. That has nothing to do with my experience.
There's an indoor pool that is heated so you don't have to miss out if it's cool outside.
Great rate, great room, great stay. Only thing I don't like is that breakfast isn't free, you have to go sit in the cafe and order and pay cash only, no debit cards.
I actually learned this a few years ago at a previous stay.
This past time I brought a bag of groceries and cooked my own bacon and eggs in the kitchen.
I'll probably be back again next time I have a holiday!

Room Tip: If you opt for beach, Choose a full-on ocean front. Pay $10 more, but get a balcony that faces the s...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lovelylotus0829

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Finnish first
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I reserved a king size bed with an ocean view. They gave me a exactly what I reserved facing north on the 7th floor. Had a great view of the ocean with a balcony facing north, and a window on the east side facing the city. At night there is northing to see on the ocean, but it's nice to have a view of the city lights. The room was very large with a king size bed and a sofa. Also had a dining table with two chairs. The room and bathroom was very clean and neat. The pool area was nice. They have a small restaurant on the first floor that faces the ocean and pool with a good breakfast at a very cheap price. The only negative thing I have is that the restaurant is only open for breakfast and lunch. There is no place within walking distance for dinner. Staff was friendly and professional.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hudson, Florida
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed there in May 2013 for 2 nites, stayed at the Dream Inn for the 1st two nites. I paid 137 for the Dream Inn and paid 150 for the 2 nites in the Tropical Winds - what a HUGE difference. The Trop is comparable to a Marriott but nowhere the cost. Since I stayed at two hotels on this trip and being the 2 hotels were almost the same price - I would only stay at the Trop and not the Dream Inn going forward. There is no comparison in every way. The Trop is beautiful and the rooms are wonderful and large. I had seen on their website that they had a corner room with windows on one wall and sliding doors with a balcony on another wall and in the room was a king bed with 2 nite tables and a sofa bed couch, new HDTV in a cabinet with table and chairs and a big refrigerator and microwave. The rooms are super clean and huge. Well, I asked for a corner room when I filled online my reservation and that is what I got. The people there are very friendly and helpful. That is now my 1st hotel I plan on staying at on my trips to Daytona. The pool is large with very comfortable lounges which have the mesh coverings and they are not worn and sagging - they look like they are new. It overlooks the ocean with access to the beach. Can't wait to go back there!

Room Tip: I would always ask for a corner room!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jollyranger
ezel,ky
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We had a wonderful 12 night stay, the cleaning staff was wonderful and the employees could not help you enough. I've never been treated any better anywhere. We will be back again. The place is clean and comfortable..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rusmilin
Spring Hill, Florida
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My husband and I needed a change of pace for a few days and decided to cross the state to Daytona Beach. I did my 'homework on the net and decided on the Tropical Winds for these reasons:..Oceanfront room, kitchen, and price. We didn't expect the Taj Mahal, but were pleased with the hotel. Didn't mind that there was not restaurant....there are a million around!
Room was clean. Pool area had a very large deck with AMPLE lounge chairs! Staff was friendly, and informative. We would consider the Tropical Winds if we return to Daytona Beach.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Floridagirljcp
Newfoundland Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Staff were very friendly. Disadvantage of staying at this hotel was that it did not have a restaurant onsite. There is a very small cafe but only open from 7 am - 2 pm and a very limited menu variety. Hotel also didn't have a safe in the room.
Should I return to Daytona in the future, I would definitely look for a place closer to the pier.

Room Tip: ocean front - beautiful sunrise
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Martin, ky
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We were here the first week of April as a chaperone for my school's senior trip. While the rooms were nicer and cleaner than expected, I found the front desk staff lacking. We needed five rooms for all of our kids and chaperones, which is not a whole lot. Even though the rooms were booked in advance as one group and one trip, when we arrived to pay they insisted we had pay for each room separately and as a separate transaction. Also, they told us we had to be split up and the rooms could not be put together. If you've ever chaperoned a group of teenagers, you know this is not a good idea. Though they told us when we booked we'd be accommodated, I felt we were not upon arrival. I give the place four stars for the cleanliness and rooms itself, but the front desk staff receives a zero.

Room Tip: The one king bed rooms are great.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Best Western Daytona Inn Seabreeze
Sun Viking Lodge
Sun Viking Lodge
#6 of 31 in Daytona Beach Shores

Been to Tropical Winds Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!