“Five Star Getaway!!!”

Tropical Winds Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Reviewed April 23, 2011

I just got home from vacation in Daytona. This hotel is a 5 star. I stayed here from April 17th through April 22nd,2011. I was on the 6th floor with a die hard view. Wow it was breathtaking. The 1st shift receptionist named Gwenn is fabulous. She is patient and very attentive to your needs and very friendly. Every time we passed by her she would make sure she said good morning or good afternoon. She's great!!! The hotel smelled clean and fresh at all times from your room till you reach the lobby. The cafeteria was awesome with decent prices for a full breakfast $5.75. The cafe workers exceptionally friendly treated you like you belong. Both pools were very clean and fun. The beach breathtaking and so clean. A place for anyone to go too and have homemade ice cream is Cow Licks wow so good and easy to get too. You start going south and will run right into it on your right side. All restaurants were right there and you could choose from so many. We have never gone there before but if I return I will stay right in this hotel. It is kept up from the outside to the inside. The rooms are so clean and a bed that swallows you that's how comfortable it is with extra pillows (relaxing). Everytime I was going to the beach or outside there was always cleaning going on. It was so refreshing to go to a hotel where you felt comfortable and got treated so well. The only problem I had was when I checked out Gwenn was not there yet and the red hair receptionist was there and she didn't even smile looked at me like I owed her something, I asked her a question and when she answered I said thank you and no response. Other than that everything was great. This hotel is a must......A Must see is the Light House not to far from hotel & Old Jail house and Alligator farm in Saint Augustine!

Room Tip: Get Oceanview or Sideview!!!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank coolcolors32

Reviewed April 17, 2011

I stayed at this Hotel from 4/10-4/13 and was very happpy the Hotel staff were incredible they were very knowagable and friendly. rooms were comfy and clean. the pool also was clean and the patio area easy acess to the Beach. Great location to the boardwalk and close to transprtation and other attractions.I will be staying hear again if im in the Daytona Area. This is a good hotel to stay at.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank jj5627
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Clean rooms, wonderful service, comfy beds and a balcony right on the ocean. Who could ask for more for just $100 a night??? We love this place and will definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jhughey
Reviewed April 10, 2011

Great hotel and location. After spending 4 days in Orlando in an awful hotel this was much needed retreat to end our vacation. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Getting clean towels and having our room cleaned was not an additional cost like the hotel in Orlando.

We had and ocean front room with a balcony so we were able to enjoy the ocean from the privacy of our room. This was the best part of the trip! Our room had a full size refrigerator, stove and microwave. There were also washer and dryers available at an additional cost. Resturants and shopping with walking distance. I highly recommend and plan to return again myself.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2011

At the last minute, we decided to go to Daytona Beach for spring break. I looked at Roomsaver.com for who had coupon rates for the Daytona area then I compared that to people's reviews on trip advisor. I appreciated the latest comments in regards to their stay. Hopefully my review will help you with your decision as well.

We booked our reservation and began our stay in the oceanfront efficiency (2 double beds). We arrived on March 27th. We were greeted by Bryan at the front desk. He was very friendly. He got us checked in and even recommended the best pizza place I have ever had! (Giovanni's - New York Style Pizza at its best)

Some of the previous reviews stated that the hotel smelled. We never had a problem with a foul odor in the hotel. It always smelled fresh.

Our room (207) had two double beds, tv, apartment style refrigerator, microwave, sink, 4 burner stove, with oven. There were basic dishes and cooking pan. They provided dish washing soap, dish towel and dish cloth. There was an electric can opener and a toaster as well.

The room was clean and nicely decorated. There were NO bed bugs or any type of bugs in the room as a matter of fact. I did see the Orkin man during our stay but if anyone knows Florida it is the place that doesn't have the bugman coming that are the ones that have the problems.

There were extra pillows on each bed which was nice. I would refer to the mattresses as being like the ones at an economical hotel (days inn, red roof inn, etc) Standard bed coverings.

The room had two chairs and a table. The balcony had two patio chairs and two patio end tables. We were able to use the patio chairs to sit around the table inside. Though my daughters liked the idea of eating in bed the best.

There was internet access available though for some reason I could get it to work on my laptop and not on my phone. (wouldn't be surprised if that was operator error). I wouldn't call it high speed internet but it was functional for our needs.

The girls used both the indoor and outdoor pools. They were both very clean. The indoor pool was much warmer than the outdoor pool.

We did not use the restaurant because we had everything that we needed. It did seem popular and had decent prices for breakfast and lunch. Ham and Cheese omlet with potatoes, toast for $5.75. Hamburger and french fries at $4.00.

The down side to this room was the bathroom. It was very small. The door to the bathroom would open into the bathroom so if you opened the door it would just about hit the toilet seat. Hard to have more than one person in the bathroom at one time. When you travel with 3 teenage girls (a total of 4 women) the bathroom is an important part of the room.

Even though the bathroom was a negative. The view from the balcony was a positive. Breath taking!!! We kept the door to the balcony open as much as possible to be able to hear the ocean. I was able to sit out on the balcony in the morning while the girls were sleeping and watch the sunrise and listen to the sounds of the ocean. It was also nice to be able to keep an eye on them at the pool and/or on the beach while sitting on the balcony.

Tropical Winds was approximately 1.5 miles (per my cardiotrainer) from the boardwalk. This was a nice distance to keep us out the crowds but close enough to the attractions. Definately a good walk up and back (less guilt when eating the homemade ice cream from boardwalk area).

Two nights into our stay I asked to see the different types of rooms that were available in the hotel. I was given two keys, one to the city apartment and the other to the penthouse. Christine, the general manager, was very accommodating and very pleasant.

CITY APARTMENT

Though we didn't stay in this apartment I thought I would share information about it. It is a two room suite. One room has a queen size bed, dresser and tv. The other room is a general room with a king size bed, sleeper sofa, four person table, tv, and efficiency kitchen simiar to the one in the oceanfront efficiency. Same size bathroom as the oceanfront efficiency. The city apartment gives a view of the city and not the ocean, thus called the city apartment.

THE PENTHOUSE

After staying two nights in the oceanfront efficiency and looking at the penthouse we opted to upgrade (about $40/night more than what we were paying for the oceanfront efficiency).

The penthouse was perfect for us. The penthouse included a bedroom with a kingsize bed (economical pillowtop but very comfortable), dresser, tv, closet, and window view of the ocean. It had an L shaped living and dining area with a queen size sleeper sofa, coffee table, two sofa chairs, 6 person glass dining table, and plazma screen television. The kitchen was a full size kitchen with a full size refrigerator, full size flat top stove and oven, above the range microwave. This unit had extensive cabinet space as well as more dishes and pots and pans than the efficiency.

The balcony was twice the size of the efficiency balcony and had a double sliding glass door to the balcony.

The penthouse by itself may be small for some families but with 4 girls it was perfect. The penthouse also has an adjoining door to an oceanfront 2 double bed efficiency that could be added for a larger family. We were in room 801 which was considered part of the coral suite. Room 801 had a standard key lock on it. The door to the coral suite had a key card access that allowed access to the hallway for rooms 801 and 811. 811 could be also added to the penthouse if you have a larger group or family. 811 had a kingsize bed and a sleeper sofa and was a city view room.

Several recommendations that I would make in regards to staying here:

If you opt to use your kitchen to cook in, I would recommend bringing your favorite non stick frying pan. The pans are ok but weren't nonstick surface.

When you go to the grocery store, make sure to get papertowels and napkins., They don't have any in the hotel and you will want to have them.

I was glad I took an extra blanket. I know they would have gotten one for me if I wanted it; it was just nice to have one from home.

Bring laundry detergent and quarters. There are two washers and two dryers on the second level. Only $1.00 to wash and $1.00 to dry which I thought was a great deal because I didn't have to go very far,

If you want suggestions for places to eat, visit, see.. ASK The staff here was wonderful. Every suggestion I got from them was perfect.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank friendlyflyer84
twinds, General Manager at Tropical Winds Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2011

Thank you so much for this great review. It will be a big help for other travellers planning a vacation at Tropical Winds. I am so happy you and your family thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again in the near future. It was a pleasure having you as our guests and it is nice to know that the hard work our employees do on a daily basis is appreciated. Have a great year!!
Christine Lane

Reviewed March 16, 2011

Stayed for bike week and had a great time. The parking for trailers was limited so we had to pay to park it at another location. Room service was great it smelled clean an they were always cleaning and keeping the place nice! We had 4 in a oceanfront room and it was fine.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed March 11, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at several hotels on the strip during bike week and for our money, this was one of the best hotels by far. We have yet to stay at the same place twice but Tropical Winds has since changed our minds about that. We don’t like to stay too close to Main Street due to all the noise and traffic so the location was perfect. We were still close enough to all of the action so we didn’t have to ride too far after a long day. Check in was a breeze and during bike week that can be a timely process. They didn’t have enough parking for all of the bikes and cars but that is a problem at most hotels on the strip. At least this one doesn’t charge per day for a parking fee, as many of them do. Our room was on the 8th floor and the view was spectacular. There is nothing like listening to the ocean while relaxing in your room. The room itself was clean and the decor was recently updated. The size was more than adequate for two adults and the beds were super comfortable. The mini kitchen worked out great for us. No more wasted leftovers. The housekeepers we’re all friendly and each was very accommodating. Thankfully they have laundry room as this is essential when you’re traveling on a motorcycle and have limited space for excess clothing. The poolside café had great food and the staff treated us like we were long lost friends. A couple of them were from Chicago, as we are but I suspect they are just as friendly to everyone they meet regardless of where they’re from. For being an older hotel, overall they do their best to maintain the property and the atmosphere is a very pleasant one. If you’re looking for a great deal this is it. I did a lot of research this time due to my own paranoia regarding bed bugs and I’m happy to report this was NOT an issue at this hotel. In fact I didn’t see one single bug. Fortunately I did all of that research because a few of our other hotel choices were suspected of having these nasty little creatures. That is what led us to Tropical Winds and we could not have been happier with our choice. My hubby does freelance writing for motorcycle magazines and he’ll be sure to let his readers know how accommodating and motorcycle-friendly your hotel - and staff are. Kudos to you, Tropical Winds! We’ll see ya next time!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple