“Great Getaway”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Ponce Inlet, Florida, United States
“Great Getaway”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Needed a impromptu room on short notice and was recommended by a friend . to me this place was nicer than the Hilton just down the road. When you first pull up, the entrance is even more opulent. The rooms were very clean and on the floor above me they were doing work and I NEVER heard a sound.The decor was updated and never smelled mold or "hotel oldness" I call it which is almost always there with beachfront resorts. has everything you need there but close to a couple of fine restaurants (the oyster pub and Sapporos Japanese steakhouse) I did not use all the services (there is a plethora) but I was still duly impressed. I will be coming back....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Scott G.,
Thanks for the very complimentary review. Your comments on cleanliness, appearance, and first impressions are very much appreciated. I will be sure to pass them along to all of our staff. I hope that you the opportunity to return to Daytona Beach soon and if you do that you will once again chose to stay at the Plaza Resort and Spa.

Bob Van Bergen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Finnish first
Waimea, Hawaii
Reviewed May 28, 2013

To start, we did not stay at this hotel. I read reviews of this particular hotel, and it was billed as the top resort in Daytona. We stopped there this past weekend to check it out and I'm so glad we did because I would have been sorely disappointed had I booked a room.

This is not a resort, at least, it does not deserve to be in "resort" category. My generous rating would be a 3 star property. The carpets are dingy, paint peeling, industrial fans in the hallways from water damage ... the list goes on and on. It was a nice place to stop and have a drink, while looking at the ocean from their bar deck. But, that's about it.

The spa menu has reasonable pricing, but I would not feel comfortable booking a spa appointment at a facility I do not feel comfortable staying.

The only reason I'm rating as average instead of poor is because the staff. The staff was beyond friendly and helpful! We asked for directions around the property, and each staff member responded with enthusiasm, and courtesy. The bartender, Jon, was hospitable and informative. Kudos to the staff of Plaza Resort & Spa.

If only my cell phone battery had not died, I would have posted the pictures I wanted to take of the inconsistencies we saw - and we weren't even guests. Choose another "resort" when booking. Save yourself money and raunchiness, go to Ormond Beach or New Smyrna Beach.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Jackpot82,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visist to our property. We recently had some very hard rains which resulted in some water intrusion. Those leaks and teh resulting damage are in teh process of being repaired. I am so happy to hear that you had a great experience with our staff. They are a great group of hospitality professionals. Please come back and stay with us and experience an over night stay.

Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed here for memorial weekend! Through all the busy crowds, I have to say, checkin was so easy & the rooms are nice. A big king size bed with pull out couch. Nice up to date decor good size balcony & we ask for extra towels and they were quick for such a large place. Even got a late check out of 12:00, no charge. Will stay again!!

• Stayed May 2013
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear lovetovacay82,

Thanks for your great review. All of our staff are very excited to read positive reviews. We believe we have a one of a kind product here in Daytona Beach. Our location mixed with our outstanding staff and beautiful building make for a truly great experience.

Come back soon!

Florida
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My second stay at Plaza Hotel and Spa lived up to and surpassed my first stay a month ago. Amenities abound in this grand historic hotel . Built around 1910 it combines the grandeur of old with the modern due to rennovation and recent updates. Service was supurb from check-in to security. The onsite restaurant, Magnolia's, had a lovely setting and good food at a nice price. The indoor bar was charming with warm wood and lounging areas; still feeling comfortable and casual. Outdoors is a pool and pool bar. The beach, of course, is great. The location of the hotel permits you to take a short beach walk to the pier and boardwalk area. Next visit I plan to use the spa and treat myself even more.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Gayle23,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay. Our location is truly amonst the best in Daytona and our lounge and restaurant are very comfortable. I hope that you will return soon and indulge in our incredible spa.

Maryland Heights, Missouri
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

I would not recommend, anytime we asked for towels took hours and two or more phone calls. Room was not stocked and security was horrible just overall a very bad experience . The front desk was not very helpfull had our room moved three times and bad exp on pool deck but there response time was horrible.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Tonya W
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Tonya W.

Thank you for your review. We want to hear from all of our guests, even those who were not pleased with their stay. Please feel free to contact me directly. I would like to hear more details of your stay so that I may take corrective action immediately. We appreciate your patronage and hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Michigan
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Went to Daytona with some friends over the weekend. This hotel is a little secret of ours as the price is great and it has one of the best locations. The new updates in the rooms are really good. Also, we just discovered the SPA is one of the largest in the area. All of this time it was right under our nose. This is easily the best value. Very friendly staff and management is really working hard to make this place nice. I really enjoy this hotel.

Room Tip: I prefer ocean view. I think it is worth it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Allanallan,

Thank you for your review. I was delighted to see that you had a wonderful time. You are correct in that we DO have one of the BEST locations in Daytona Beach. We appreciate your confidence and loyalty and look forward to seeing you again real soon.

Port Orange, Florida, United States
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Just stayed this past weekend for Mother's Day what a wonderful relaxing time we had. Starting with a simple easy reservation our check in process was also simple with having 2 rooms we were able to get the side by side at a last minute booking on a Saturday with easy for a handicap person to walk out of our rooms right to the pool. Lots of room to move around in my room wheel chair friendly. We had such a peaceful and relaxing stay we didn't want to leave

Room Tip: Ocean front with balcony
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sharon T
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Sharon T,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review in Trip Advisor. We really enjoy hearing form our guests. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our rooms easy to manuever in and convenient to our amenities. PLease come back again !!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Daytona Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Daytona Beach Oceanfront
Daytona Beach Resort and Conference Center
Hyatt Place Daytona Beach - Oceanfront
Hyatt Place Daytona Beach - Ocea...
#2 of 31 in Daytona Beach Shores
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Daytona Beach
Hampton Inn Daytona Beach/Beachfront
Wyndham Ocean Walk
Wyndham Ocean Walk
#20 of 72 in Daytona Beach

Been to Plaza Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!