“Review of property”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Howey in the Hills, Florida, United States
“Review of property”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

First of all .....the lobby is awesome......it really looks great. The staff at the front desk were very nice and helpful and took time to answer my questions with a positive attitude. Let me say that I did not stay on this property as my girlfriend had booked another property close to this one but I had to go and take a look being a past guest. I had heard of a remodel and wanted to see how it was. A relative was looking for a place to stay last minute, and I suggested this hotel but wanted to go see it when they arrived as I didnt want to feel bad if I had suggested a poor atmosphere. So after entering, we rode to the elevator to their floor (8th) with no problem and this place was really busy with people in and out. The rooms looked great and they were pleased that they hadnt paid $289.00 at the Hilton, in fact they bought supper later........lol...... I asked other guests on the elevator how they liked the place and all seemed happy and those leaving seemed a little down that they couldnt stay. The only thing I could say negative was that there were a couple of door jams that need some attention, not that they are unsafe or anything like that, just with the make over they need to be brought up too. Overall, my relatives had a nice stay, the rooms were well cared for by the maids and the food in the restaurant was very good. Its a close walk to the Boardwalk, shops and restaurants off property are nearby.

1 Thank Kenny G
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Kenny G,

Thanks for the great review. I am pleased to see that you took the time to inquire from other guests how they were enjoying their stay. We have a wonderful hotel in a great location with a fabulous staff. PLease stay with us next time you are in Daytona Beach.

Bob Van Bergen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Finnish first
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Nice hotel overall. Requested Ocean Front View room and got partial ocean view room. Was told the hotel was full. When I made the original reservation I was confirmed for an Ocean View Room. Stayed in room 1409 which is partcial ocean view room. You can see from the pictures I took what partial view is. I was able to visit a friend that did receive ocean front view room and was able to take pictures from her balcony. Ocean front view rooms are bigger and nicer. Had to find the pool on my own. There were no signs as to where to go to get to the pool. Walking distance to everything you need.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Construction at hotel was not mentioned at time of reservation. Oceanfront location was best thing! Beds were comfortable, room was small and bathroom very small. Maid service was poor. Location to shops, movies and restaurants was very good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Kenny G,

Thanks for the great review. We are making improvements continuously this year and the Plaza is truly the place to stay in Daytona Beach. Glad tyou recognized our friendly staff and even heard it from other guests. Next time you and your friend need to stay with us!! Come back soon.

North Carolina
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Overall, we had a good experience at this hotel. On the positive side: the rooms are large and have a small kitchenette area with a microwave and refrigerator. The beds were very comfortable, and we had a nice large flat screen television. The views from the rooms are also excellent. The beach is very nice and the hotel is an excellent location. You can easily walk to a number of restaurants, shops, movie theater, the boardwalk, and a Walgreens.

On the negative side: the hotel is definitely older and you see that in some areas such as certain hallways and especially the parking deck. The elevators are very old and quite an adventure at times. In addition, they were generally crowded and you had a to wait quite a bit. The hotel is also currently undergoing renovation and the work can be noisy at times (jackhammers).

Howevever, for the price and location, I would still recommend this hotel. We had an overall enjoyable stay with no major problems.

2 Thank RowdyRedneck
Dear Rowdy /Redneck

I appreciate your comments and was thrilled to see that overall you enjoyed your stay. WE are going through some renovations that will make useven a better value. Our location is great and our hotel is stiving to be your hotel of choice when visiting Daytona Beach. Please return soon!!

Pekin
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Some earlier reviews had us concerned as we had booked 5 nights. The parking and elevator stiuations were fine. The views and location were awesome. Rhe rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. The pool area and beach access a plus. Overall a very satisfied guest. We will be back to see the progress of this landmark hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank saltlife91
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear saltlife91,
Thanks for your review. Happy to hear that you recognized what a great hotel we have. The location really is superb and the views are second to none in Daytona Beach. We hope to welcome you back soon!!

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I wish I had read the other reviews before I made reservations. I am from N.C. and my stay was the last week of March 2013.

A few problems I encountered with this hotel: I had requested in 3 separate reservation emails that I wanted 2 rooms and I wanted them adjoining. Upon arrival I discovered that the rooms were on separate floors. The front desk was then able to give us 2 rooms only separated by another room. We had to wait an extra hour for this room to be cleaned only to notice later after dinner that the ceiling was badly stained and leaking. We packed and unpacked again having to change rooms; being further away from our other party. The front desk had also attempted upon check in to attach the $17.00 per day resort fee. ( I had asked in my previous emails if all charges were complete and assured they were) .The front desk corrected this. One of the elevators had problems working and in fact had guests trapped inside them at least twice during our 5 nite stay. The AC/Heat in our room was so loud it was impossible to speak to someone in a normal tone. The fire alarm was pulled as a joke one night by a guest. I called the front desk as some guests panicked to find out about the circumstances. There was no announcement made to calm guests regarding this. The back door was to remain locked during evening hours for safety but was always unlocked.
We would have changed hotels if there had been any available with oceanfront rooms . This was spring break for a lot of families.
The staff at this hotel was accommodating and always attempted to fix the numerous problems but was more than I wanted to deal with on vacation.
To add a positive : the location is great.
M.S.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Melanie S
Dear Melanie S.

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. We appreciate all forms of feedback so that we can continue to improve. We are taking steps to improve both service and security during busy spring break times and have hired additional staff to do that. Glad you appreciated the location but do hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed there March 24-26.
This place is a paradox between down right nasty and new and grand. Security was completely lax. The outside doors which were supposed to be key only entry after 5pm didn't even have locks. "Pizza guys" roamed the halls looking for doors that are so coated with paint that they don't even close properly. When we fell victim to them, the hotel didn't seem to really care and the security manager said, "Yeah sometimes those pizza guys are running around and we can't keep up." B.S. Our room was new, but the A/C was leaking all over the carpet and soaking in. The deck was decomposing. (at least they are working on that as others have pointed out...this place is under construction so expect lots of jack hammering) The restaurant had a total of 3 guests and was way over priced and not even usable. No concierge. No Kids Coordinator even though this place requires a 25 year old to checkin (which is nice btw). The pool was very nice. The other issue is it is in a weird "shady" section of the strip right now with a bunch of abandoned buildings around that are creepy. Again, not their fault, but still something to consider. So much wasted potential, but just not 3 stars yet. Find somewhere else.

Room Tip: Find out if the construction is done. If you get a room on the South side, be prepared to over look...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jtthomas10
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear jtthomas10,

Thanks for your review. We really do appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions, good or bad.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the pool area.We are doing some renovations that include repairs to balconies.The first phase of this work should be completed the first week of May.We will also soon be adding HD to our TV programming, a new business center, and some upgrades to our pool area and our fitness center.Rooms will also be receiving some new sleeper sofas and bathroom vanities. We are working with local authoirities to stop the pizza flyer distribution and are addressing the door locks as well. I appreciate your past patronage and do hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Daytona Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Daytona Beach Oceanfront
Daytona Beach Resort and Conference Center
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Daytona Beach
Hyatt Place Daytona Beach - Oceanfront
Hyatt Place Daytona Beach - Ocea...
#2 of 31 in Daytona Beach Shores
Hampton Inn Daytona Beach/Beachfront
Best Western Daytona Inn Seabreeze

Been to Plaza Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!