“Best deal I could have gotten (sams club package)”

Daytona Beach Regency
Ranked #21 of 72 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Atlanta, GA
“Best deal I could have gotten (sams club package)”
Reviewed October 22, 2009

Wow. for the price I paid Id say this was well worth the trip. I got the best room that wasnt overlooking the ocean. It was from end to end of the hotel so I had a balcony off the bedroom (better view than other side) and another off the living room. As seen in other reviews we couldnt go out on them, but the view was still nice. The room was clean and ready to go when we arrived (early check-in, around 1:30). the lady at the desk got us in quickly and I was surprised. We got the keycards and drove down to the underground parking. It was biketoberfest, which i was a little worried about, but we ended up having a great weekend. The indoor pool was open, although the spa was not, and we enjoyed pool and airhockey in the game room. The beach is right there of course, and we enjoyed picking up seashells. The location is nice, although a few buildings around need to be removed *one is burnt down, the other is abandoned* Dont think I could ever pay the real cost of this place, because I just refuse to pay that much to go to FLA, but if I ever got another deal like this, Id jump on it!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kelsey K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cape Cod MA
Reviewed October 18, 2009

We are owners with Diamond Resorts, so we booked this stay in conjunction with a Disney vacation. After reading a couple of bad reviews just days before our departure, I impulsively called the resort to ask for a room NOT on the side of the property adjacent to the vacant building...big mistake!!! Yes, the abandoned building is an eyesore, but it is small and hardly noticeable when taking in the beautiful sunny views of the shoreline all around it. Not the case on the other side of the building, where we stayed in a somewhat darker 2-bedroom unit that overlooked a "skyscraper." The room itself was clean, comfortable and well stocked, but our unit did have a funny odor which my husband decided was "cake batter deodorizer." Yeah, EW, but not a dealbreaker for us. The mattresses were awesome, but earlier review about the balconies being literally blanketed in pidgeon poop are completely true. Not a real problem, though, since we thoroughly enjoyed sitting on the beachside patio area. The staff never seemed at all put-out by our questions, concerns or requests, and our needs were always met promptly and courteously. The pool is sparkling, and my two kids (14 & 7) loved the slide. The ocean is the best feature about this property. We live just a few miles from a beach on Cape Cod, and somehow Daytona's powdery sand, warm water, and massive waves made us feel like we were experiencing something truly extraordinary. The Tiki Bar serves tasty food, great cocktails, and friendly service. A word about the Daytona area. It was dusk when we arrived, and the area felt a little "sketchy." This is definitely not Marco Island or Naples, but if you're not snobby about it, then you will have a wonderful stay. Clean/ comfortable accommodations, great dining, and awesome beaches are really the priority for us when we vacation and, overall, we were more than satisfied with this property.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank 2ChrisTravels
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed October 14, 2009

We just came home from a week at the Daytona Beach Regency. What a great resort; location, amenities, guest service; everything was wonderful. I had heard some rooms and floors are not renovated yet & can be a little dingy, small & musty. Several elevator stops and a hunt to find a laundry room did confirm this. Book a premium suite if you can. We were on the top floor; we got a huge former model suite with an spectacular oceanview. could see the ocean while lying in bed!
No problems with transients next door; the "dark" hotel has been fenced and there didn't seem to be any vagrants about nor did we experience or hear of any negative incidents on the beach at night. Will definitely go back if we travel to that area again.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Phxred
Louisville, KY
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Our room had a full kitchen, separate bedroom and couch with a pullout sofa bed. There was plenty of room for all 5 of us! Very clean and everything in the room was high quality (linens, dishes, tv etc.). The staff was friendly and the pool area was nice. The oceanfront rooms were unusable due to some crumbling balconies, but our oceanview room was fine. The hotel was older, but seemed to be recently remodeled. There were lots of restaurants and shopping nearby.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Kelly76
Connecticut
Reviewed September 20, 2009

The property is old and weathered. It is next to an abandonded hotel, which is home to vegerants. The mini mall across the street burnded down on Labor Day and has not yet been grounded. Our room was redone(?), it was a lock-out room. Very small and dreary. Upon arrival we were not made aware of the housekeeping policies. If you want clean towels, you must call everyday. The room only gets cleaned once a wk and there is no daily making of the bed or tidying up. I would suggest that the manager of the property retrain his front desk service in customer service. I was trying to get resolution to a situation, talking to the rep - phone rang 2x she answered the phone took care of callers while ignoring me. I would have told this to the manager if he had returned my call. I left a message with desk rep on Sept 14th - we left yesterday the 19th and no call back. Also asked for a room change - never ocurred. We asked, on our first day there, at the Tiki Bar what she would suggest doing/seeing while in Daytona, the reply was not what we expected - she said Daytona is the armpit of Fl - not much to do. We also called Interval to change hotels - it took 2+ hours and no satisfactory resolution. Security is everywhere on the property, that was somewhat reassuring.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank VogueConnecticut
Tallahassee, FL
Reviewed September 15, 2009

I exchanged my timeshare to stay at the Daytona Beach Regency and was I severly disappointed. It's very small. We got to our room and the smell that hit us when we opened the door was really bad. It stayed there all week. We tried everything to get rid of it. I reserved a two bedroom for six of us. The king size bed was in the 2nd bedroom and the queen size was in the lock-out room. The sleeper sofa was awful. After the 2nd night, my family ended up sleeping on the floor. The dishwasher was broke so that when you tried to load it, the top shelf would fall. They don't stock the room with any of the utensils that you really need. Who uses a potato masher these days? The shower stall in the hall bathroom was disgusting. It had mold and mildew all over it. Housekeeping told me that it's because the building is 40 years old and after awhile, it just don't come off. None of the Ocean Front rooms could use their balconies, because they were all being repaired. There are only two elevators and one got stuck in the parking garage. There is an abandoned building right next store that is an eye sore, especially for the patrons who had rooms on that side. Homeless people were sleeping in them. I will never return to this hotel and I will never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
colorado
Reviewed July 30, 2009

Ok, so I am the hotel finder when it comes to our group. I spend weeks finding the right place for the right price. I read all the reviews, look at all the pics, make graphs, etc. I thought I had found the perfect place. BOY WAS I SO WRONG! I don't know what is wrong with the people who wrote all the other reviews!

So we get there. Everything seems ok although the hotel looks pretty trashy next to the other (be it much more expensive) hotels. We walk in and it looks like all the pictures, but much smaller than expected. Still ok. Went up to the 2 room lock off suite and although the furnishings are like the pictures, the floor plan is not. Both rooms did not have a private bathroom. One did, the other was across a hallway (not much privacy).

Ok, here is the bad stuff...
One, there is an abandoned building next door and it is filled with homeless individuals. We decided to walk back to the hotel on the beach at about 3:00am from the bar. We walked up to the hotel from the beach and they had these huge chain locks on the gate (strange we thought until we found out why). So we began to walk around to the front when 2 guys asked us if we wanted anything illegal. We said no thanks and started to walk away when they started making comments about what they would like to "do" to me... Well there were 4 of us (2 guys, 2 girls) and we are not ones to ignore things like that, so my husband inquired about what they said... Next thing we knew, they were coming over the wall, up from the beach, around from behind us. All together there were about 12 of them. Although we like to fight, we were out numbered. After a few blows, we did get away and into the hotel. The next morning we asked the front desk about the building and the chain locks. We were told that they have been trying to get it torn down for years with no luck and "DO NOT TAKE YOUR WOMEN ON THE BEACH AFTER 1:00am around it". WTF, seriously!!!!!

Two, the place was really dirty and I am not the picky clean freak. We stay in A LOT of hotels (like 2 a month) and this was by far the worst as far as cleanliness that I have ever seen. Really disappointing. The whirlpool bathtub looked clean so I filled it, got in and turned it on (bad idea). All this gunk came out of the jets, but I didn't notice until I turned them off. YUCK!! There was hair on floors, balcony looked like it was never cleaned, furniture was stained. Everyone kept making comments on the smell in the hallway (smelt like mildew). The smell in our room was worse though. Mildew, Mold, dirty sock smell. Bad.

Three, they charge for EVERYTHING! You want coffee? $.75 per pack. Oh, you want cream and suger packs, $$ Forget a razor $$, make a call $$. Plus they only clean your room once a week. So if you are there for a weekend dont expect any service and they only leave 2 towels per room!!!

Overall, this was the worst choice ever. There are so many more hotels in this area that are soooo much better, pay the little extra it will be worth it! I would say that the only good things about this hotel was the tiki bar (very cool) although there is another hotel bar just south of the peir that is much cooler!! Sorry I dont remember the hotel name. And the kitchen in the room was nice. Thats about it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends