“Nice condo, but beware of major renovations” 2 of 5 stars

Daytona Beach Regency
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   400 North Atlantic Avenue, Daytona Beach, FL 32118   |
Ranked #32 of 105 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Birmingham, Michigan
“Nice condo, but beware of major renovations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We returned home this past Sunday after a week spent at the Daytona Regency. I booked the accommodation on 8/24 and at the time no mention was made anywhere that they are busy doing major upgrades to the balconies by putting up new rails - that the contractors begin working at 9am and end at 6pm (and don't always end punctually - so one has no other option but to complain to the staff). When I booked I asked to be placed in a unit on the north side of the building on one of the lower floors, however the day we arrived we were told none of those units were available, and we were put on the south side on the 4th floor. We only became aware of these renovations on Monday morning when we were awoken by hammer drills that felt like they were coming through the walls and the roof of the house and an electric crane that belched smoke and made a dreadful racket each time the basket would be lifted or lowered which meant we couldn't even go out onto our balcony, not that we would have because instead of a view, we looked directly into Wyndham's dumpster and parking area . I spoke to the General Manager who told me that units on the north (quiet) side were reserved for owners and club members which means people like us who are independent, were treated like substandard guests and put where all this noise was happening. He did assure me at the time of our conversation that they would try to move us, but that they were full - and no-one ever got back to us, so I presume they continued to remain full - My husband and I had taken this vacation to go and enjoy a bit of peace and quiet, do some reading, go for quiet strolls on the beach, but instead we were forced to leave the resort Monday through Friday and had to spend our time at public beach areas or in malls to get away from all the hammering. I thought the resort was really well run, it was clean, the beds were great, as was the garden tub in our 2 bedroom - However if you are independently considering to rent a condo at Regency between now and the end of the year (the General Manager told me these renovations began in October and would run all the way through the end of December) I would be very sure to ask these people what type of renovations they are busy with and how noisy it is going to be ..... if you are going to spend all your time on the beach or do touristy stuff, and won't be at the condo but to sleep - that is fine - however if you are planning of doing more time at the resort, be aware that you are going to get very little peace and quiet !!

Room Tip: Why bother ..... management told me the quiet side of the building was reserved for owners and club...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy N
diamondresorts, Manager at Daytona Beach Regency, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns of your most recent stay here at Daytona Beach Regency. We always strive to provide exceptional hospitality and quality accommodations to each of our guests who stay with us, and it is quite concerning about the concerns you brought up in regard to the noise and handling of your request for relocation. We are truly sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. In regard to your concerns about room assignment, there seems to have been a miscommunication about how we assign rooms to our members, owners, and guests. Fixed owners and certain members of our management company have purchased specific units for occupancy, and are assigned that unit on an annual basis. For those units, we cannot relocate or reassign other guests for occupancy, as it would be unfair to the current member, owner, or guest to just kick them out because another guest wants to stay there. When assigning a unit to future guests, the fact that they are a member, owner, or guest does not have an effect on the type of unit they are receiving, unless they are one of the owners or members described above. Our front desk staff will do everything in their power to locate an unoccupied and serviceable room that meets a guest’s request. Unfortunately, due to the high occupancy of our resort during the time of your stay, we were unable to relocate you and your party. For any upgrade project that is currently scheduled, we notify our 3rd party rental and exchange affiliates of these projects, so that they can notify their clients. We truly regret hearing that the company that booked your reservation failed to advise you of this upgrade project, and we will make sure to let them know of your disappointment due to this failure of notification. If you are willing to give us another chance, we are extremely confident that your next stay with us will be much less noisy and even exceed your expectations as a vacation destination for you and your party. Your business with us is sincerely appreciated and we wish you the best on all your future travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
DEVON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had a two bedroom lockoff. Kitchen was tight but adequate. Livingroom very nice. Dining area was confied by two close walls and a pillar, so getting in and out of your chair was a bit difficult. Master bath room was accross the hall from the bedroom, which meant you had to wear a robe to get there. Master bathroom had no tub, only a shower. Lockoff had a tub in the bedroom and a shower in the bathroom. Balcony had room for two chairs and a small table and awas off the living room. Lockoff had no balcony. Pool area was very nice, but by 2:30 PM the shdow of the building had blocked the sun, so it was almost totally in the shade. The exercise room was more than adequarte, and there was a computer room with two computers and a printer. Wi-fi in the room worked well most of the time but slowed down at 5:00 PM. The staff was the best part of the hotel, as they were very friendly, and when we needed something fixed in the room they were there almost right away and the problems were fixed. I have listed the various negatives, but almost any hotel will have them. The location is prime, and I will definately recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the North side, so that you have a view of the beach.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank paltinpa
diamondresorts, Manager at Daytona Beach Regency, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay here at Daytona Beach Regency. We appreciate the feedback about our lockoff units, and are extremely glad that our accommodations, amenities, location, and especially our staff, met, if not, exceeded your expectations. Your recommendation is truly appreciated, and we hope you will come visit us again soon!
Pordenone, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We were very very lucky since we probably got the finest room of the whole resort... the presidential suite no. 1109 on the 11th (and last) floor... really amazing.... and huge... with oversized windows overlooking Daytona's stunning beach... with the bed facing the sun rise every morning... nice and recent furniture, a shower able to accomodate 5 people at least and a huge hot tub.... two lcd tv... a modern kitchen with all the facilities... in the end, an amazing stay! So why only 4 and not 5 out of 5 as a rate? Because the resort shows its age, and the renovation process is still ongoing. Balconies for instance need painting so much, the lobby is a little old style... but I surely appreciate Diamond's efforts to keep its properties at a good level. One more thing is that internet was a mess. A connection that comes and goes is never good, especially when you travel for business and you need to be in touch with your office. A pleasant stay anyway, I would suggest room 1109 to everyone!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband, daughters, boyfriends, friends, and grandbabies have been going to the Daytona Beach Regency for many, many years (we are actually owners there) - since the mid 1990's! My beloved husband passed away last winter, so, this summer, I just could not bring myself to go back - it was his absolute favorite place, and I was afraid of the memories and feelings that would come flooding back. But, I really missed it badly, so, for our Fall Break at work, I decided to bring my in-laws down for a few days - we had always wanted to take them, but, as you all know, "life" kept getting in the way - and last fall, when we had made plans to take them, my husband became sick with cancer.

So, at the end of this past September, we came down for about 5 days - I made the reservations at the last minute, and Jenny Lou was kind enough to find us a room for Sunday - Friday. We were lucky enough to get a north facing 07 room, which had a great view of the beach and ocean - my father-in-law loved sitting out on that balcony! We had a great time - my mother and father-in-law, and my brother and sister-in-law, just loved the condo, and especially the comfortable beds, the tiki bar, and the closeness to the beach! In fact, they loved it so much, no one wanted to leave! Thank you, once again, to the Regency for making my first trip back to Daytona after my hubby's passing so easy to do - my family and I will definitely be returning there next summer!

Room Tip: Ask for a north-facing room, if there are no oceanfronts available!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rags5930
diamondresorts, Manager at Daytona Beach Regency, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your most recent stay with us and for being an owner here. We want to offer our sincere condolences in regard to the passing of your husband. It was great to hear that you came down with your family, and had such an enjoyable experience. Jenny will really appreciate the mentioning of her in this review. We look forward to seeing you and your family again next summer!
Livonia, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

This was an amazing hotel! My boyfriend and i stayed for 6 days, it is VERY clean, the staff was very nice and helpful. Iv been in Daytona about 4 times now and stayed in other hotels on the beach but they were nothing like this one. The ONLY thing i didn't like about this hotel is the elevators, the buttons did not work too well otherwise this is the hotel i will always stay in when i visit Daytona!! Thank You Daytona Beach Regency staff for the great experience!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
diamondresorts, Manager at Daytona Beach Regency, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about you and your boyfriend’s stay here. We were very pleased to read that you had a very pleasant experience here, and that our staff went above and beyond in providing exceptional Customer Service. They will be truly touched when they hear about the kind words you had for them. We appreciate your comments about our elevators. One of our maintenance staff will take a look at them to see if there something that needs to be fixed. Keep in mind that our elevators are routinely inspected to make sure they meet Florida Elevator Safety Codes. We really appreciate your recommendation, and look forward to seeing you and your boyfriend again soon!
sandersville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This is a very good place to stay. I have stayed here for 4-5 times in the past. Beautiful outside pool area, convenient beachside bar and grill. Fun room for kids. Sauna and exercise area available. Friendly and helpful staff. Great housekeeping service. Comfortable beds, flat screen TV's in room. Well stocked kitchen with cooking utensils. I love staying at this oceanfront facility. The property is clean and well maintained. Different activities available for your enjoyment also.The only thing that I am not happy about is the wireless service. It is not very good inside the rooms. The wireless signal is easily lost if you move around with your laptop, etc. Service is good if you sit in the lobby and use the wi-fi.

Room Tip: We ate breakfast in the room or across the street at IHOP.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank angeldee52
Ocala, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

It was the last hoorah before the kids went back to school. Fabulous view of the beach. Salt water pool with a slide kept the kids busy all day. Great TIKI bar. Walking distance to Ocean Walk, movies, eateries, pier. I would definitely go again....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family