“Going again this year!”

Sun Viking Lodge
Ranked #7 of 103 Hotels in Daytona Beach
“Going again this year!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2006

This will be our fourth trip to the Sun Viking Lodge. We usually go for Memorial Day, but this year we have a newborn and decided that the 7 hour trip was too long.

We then decided to go to Gulf Shores since it was a shorter drive, and made reservations.

That lasted about a day, and we were so depressed about not going to Daytona that we cancelled our reservations and booked here again.

Some of the decor is a little outdated, but it's not bad. The pools are great, and the indoor pool will get a lot of use from us, sheilding the baby from the sun.

The cafe is wonderful, even though one of the ladys who works there is very rude.. the other lady who works there makes up for it, though. My husband loves their hash browns, and talks about them year-round. We always take family friends who have kids, and their children LOVE Sun Viking. They never get bored.

Make sure you eat at Crabby Joe's and Aunt Catfish's, as these are our favorites!

• Stayed May 2005
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Folcroft, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2006

Love this place. Stayed at a room with a complete kitchen. The only complaint I would have would be mold in the shower but there is mold in my shower at home. They were working on the roof of the building facing the ocean but the equipment wasn't bothersome. I have no complaints and will definately return.

19 Thank blondiex46
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2006

My family and I love this place! I'm 21 years old now and we've been coming here since I was about 6 or so... The entire place is so filled with memories, and you always make friends with a new face every year! The activities are something my family highly enjoys, and it keeps my 6 year old brother entertained! He loves to wake up in the morning roll over and go "Mommy, What kind of games do they have that I can play today?!"

The staff is wonderful! We have never had a problem with anyone there... My older sister is handicapped and the staff has always went out of their way to help us out! And they remember her every year!

We plan on making a trip back there this year, just thinking about it makes me want to leave today! I can't wait till after I have my baby and I can start making family memories with my children at the Sun Viking like my parents started years ago.

• Stayed August 2005
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Wildwood, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2006

the sun viking lodge is the only place to stay in the daytona area we have stayed since i was 15 now 30 i stay there with my family its not new but well kept and the kafe is not a sit down resterant but nice if your coming in from the beach there are plenty of things to do in and around the lodge no its not the adams mark or the hilton but if thats what your looking for dont stay at the sun viking lodge i have staved in the high rise and the 2 story motel the highrise is my personal choice
thanks to the management and staff for many wonderful years and hopefully many more
i will happily return to the sun viking lodge

• Stayed January 2006
26 Thank strickjr76
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2006

Our family stayed at the Sun Viking Lodge in October of 2005, and we had a terrific time! We stayed in cottage 129. It was exceptionally clean, the cleanest hotel that we have ever stayed at ( we have travelled alot over the years!). The kitchen was exceedingly well stocked with a set of corelle dishes, and they actually supplied proper pots, pans, bakeware and utensils so that you could prepare any meal. The pool areas were lovely and very clean, and there were organized activities for families. The beach area was beautiful, and we enjoyed breakfast at the Kafe. The staff were extremely helpful, even providing pencils for the kids to do there homework when we had used ours right to the nub. It was a great family resort. We weren't impressed with the Daytona Beach area, however, our stay at the hotel made up for the lack of family fun in the region. If you have a family and are in the daytona beach area, this is the place to stay. We loved the hotel!

• Stayed October 2005
22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2006

I can't believe this place was rated #1 in Daytona! With all the other wonderful hotels in town? The Hilton? Ocean Walk? Shores Resort and Spa?

We stayed there a few months ago with my parents. It was just ok. It's a little mom and pop place, clean, but nothing special, and pretty expensive. I wished we would of spent the extra few bucks to stay at a bigger hotel. We've already made our reservations for next year at the Hilton.

They need to work on their customer service, too if they want to be truly #1. The groundskeepers and pool people are nice...but every morning you hear the housekeepers arguing and making a fuss, and the front desk staff and management range from rude to uncaring. I sent my son for extra towels one morning and he came back saying the "lady was busy". I went to see what was going on and she was on the phone (personal call) for five minutes before she even acknowleged my presence. Then I asked for extra towels and was handed them with out a word or a smile.

We stayed in the motel building on the first floor. Every morning my mom would sit outside and read the paper and comment that all morning the staff would walk by grumbling or were complaining about something to each other. She said he got the impression that it's not a very happy place to work.

The housekeepers bother you when you have a do not disturb sign on the door, the pools are very small, and they won't do anything about people saving pool chairs even though there's a sign saying it's not allowed.

The positives are the water slide, nice grounds and little snack bar by the pool.

• Stayed November 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, February 12, 2006
First and foremost, our goal at the Sun Viking Lodge is always to satisfy all customers.

I would like to apologize to any guest who was disturbed by noisy conversations between employees as well as by any employee on a phone call who failed to acknowledge the guest in a timely manner. Because our front desk staff answers our reservations phones which are located in a close-by back office area; I can understand how a guest might assume that the employee is on a personal phone call. All employees have already been reminded to talk softer while outside hotel rooms so as not to disturb our guests and the principal of promptly acknowledging a guest at the reception desk also has been re-emphasized with our front desk staff. We were however, happy to hear that our cleanliness, waterslide, poolside snack bar and grounds were appreciated by this guest.

We agree, the Hilton, Ocean Walk and Shores Resort & Spa are beautiful full service hotels offering valet parking, full service restaurants, lounges, banquet facilities and meeting rooms.

The Sun Viking Lodge has never tried to complete with these types of hotels. The Sun Viking Lodge offers a relaxed atmosphere with quality accommodations and family-friendly amenities. Our oceanfront resort features an outdoor heated pool with our popular 60-foot waterslide, indoor heated garden pool and waterfall, Nautilus fitness room with sauna, oceanfront gazebo with hot tub, poolside snack bar, complimentary year-round family recreation program, basketball goal, shuffleboard court, kiddie pool, Daytona’s largest children’s motel playground and two game rooms. Offering these amenities come with higher operating costs which accounts for our rates being somewhat higher than other motels not offering these amenities.

Two-thirds of our employees have been with us for anywhere from five to 34 years and have a great rapport with our guests – the principal goal of both our staff and management at the Sun Viking Lodge is to make all of our customers feel comfortable and at home during their stay at our oceanfront resort.

Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2005

we just loved it, it was very clean and the service was great.

• Stayed January 2005