“My favorite place to stay in Daytona :)”
Review of Sun Viking Lodge

Sun Viking Lodge
Ranked #7 of 103 Hotels in Daytona Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“My favorite place to stay in Daytona :)”
Reviewed March 7, 2006

My family and I love this place! I'm 21 years old now and we've been coming here since I was about 6 or so... The entire place is so filled with memories, and you always make friends with a new face every year! The activities are something my family highly enjoys, and it keeps my 6 year old brother entertained! He loves to wake up in the morning roll over and go "Mommy, What kind of games do they have that I can play today?!"

The staff is wonderful! We have never had a problem with anyone there... My older sister is handicapped and the staff has always went out of their way to help us out! And they remember her every year!

We plan on making a trip back there this year, just thinking about it makes me want to leave today! I can't wait till after I have my baby and I can start making family memories with my children at the Sun Viking like my parents started years ago.

• Stayed August 2005
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Wildwood, Florida
Reviewed January 24, 2006

the sun viking lodge is the only place to stay in the daytona area we have stayed since i was 15 now 30 i stay there with my family its not new but well kept and the kafe is not a sit down resterant but nice if your coming in from the beach there are plenty of things to do in and around the lodge no its not the adams mark or the hilton but if thats what your looking for dont stay at the sun viking lodge i have staved in the high rise and the 2 story motel the highrise is my personal choice
thanks to the management and staff for many wonderful years and hopefully many more
i will happily return to the sun viking lodge

• Stayed January 2006
26 Thank strickjr76
Reviewed January 16, 2006

Our family stayed at the Sun Viking Lodge in October of 2005, and we had a terrific time! We stayed in cottage 129. It was exceptionally clean, the cleanest hotel that we have ever stayed at ( we have travelled alot over the years!). The kitchen was exceedingly well stocked with a set of corelle dishes, and they actually supplied proper pots, pans, bakeware and utensils so that you could prepare any meal. The pool areas were lovely and very clean, and there were organized activities for families. The beach area was beautiful, and we enjoyed breakfast at the Kafe. The staff were extremely helpful, even providing pencils for the kids to do there homework when we had used ours right to the nub. It was a great family resort. We weren't impressed with the Daytona Beach area, however, our stay at the hotel made up for the lack of family fun in the region. If you have a family and are in the daytona beach area, this is the place to stay. We loved the hotel!

• Stayed October 2005
22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 3, 2006

I can't believe this place was rated #1 in Daytona! With all the other wonderful hotels in town? The Hilton? Ocean Walk? Shores Resort and Spa?

We stayed there a few months ago with my parents. It was just ok. It's a little mom and pop place, clean, but nothing special, and pretty expensive. I wished we would of spent the extra few bucks to stay at a bigger hotel. We've already made our reservations for next year at the Hilton.

They need to work on their customer service, too if they want to be truly #1. The groundskeepers and pool people are nice...but every morning you hear the housekeepers arguing and making a fuss, and the front desk staff and management range from rude to uncaring. I sent my son for extra towels one morning and he came back saying the "lady was busy". I went to see what was going on and she was on the phone (personal call) for five minutes before she even acknowleged my presence. Then I asked for extra towels and was handed them with out a word or a smile.

We stayed in the motel building on the first floor. Every morning my mom would sit outside and read the paper and comment that all morning the staff would walk by grumbling or were complaining about something to each other. She said he got the impression that it's not a very happy place to work.

The housekeepers bother you when you have a do not disturb sign on the door, the pools are very small, and they won't do anything about people saving pool chairs even though there's a sign saying it's not allowed.

The positives are the water slide, nice grounds and little snack bar by the pool.

• Stayed November 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, February 12, 2006
First and foremost, our goal at the Sun Viking Lodge is always to satisfy all customers.

I would like to apologize to any guest who was disturbed by noisy conversations between employees as well as by any employee on a phone call who failed to acknowledge the guest in a timely manner. Because our front desk staff answers our reservations phones which are located in a close-by back office area; I can understand how a guest might assume that the employee is on a personal phone call. All employees have already been reminded to talk softer while outside hotel rooms so as not to disturb our guests and the principal of promptly acknowledging a guest at the reception desk also has been re-emphasized with our front desk staff. We were however, happy to hear that our cleanliness, waterslide, poolside snack bar and grounds were appreciated by this guest.

We agree, the Hilton, Ocean Walk and Shores Resort & Spa are beautiful full service hotels offering valet parking, full service restaurants, lounges, banquet facilities and meeting rooms.

The Sun Viking Lodge has never tried to complete with these types of hotels. The Sun Viking Lodge offers a relaxed atmosphere with quality accommodations and family-friendly amenities. Our oceanfront resort features an outdoor heated pool with our popular 60-foot waterslide, indoor heated garden pool and waterfall, Nautilus fitness room with sauna, oceanfront gazebo with hot tub, poolside snack bar, complimentary year-round family recreation program, basketball goal, shuffleboard court, kiddie pool, Daytona’s largest children’s motel playground and two game rooms. Offering these amenities come with higher operating costs which accounts for our rates being somewhat higher than other motels not offering these amenities.

Two-thirds of our employees have been with us for anywhere from five to 34 years and have a great rapport with our guests – the principal goal of both our staff and management at the Sun Viking Lodge is to make all of our customers feel comfortable and at home during their stay at our oceanfront resort.

Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2005

we just loved it, it was very clean and the service was great.

• Stayed January 2005
24 Thank lowridermom
Reviewed September 25, 2005

We just got back from vacationing for a week at the Sun Viking Inn. It was terrific, despite the weather. It was just DH and I, and we were very impressed with the hotel and the employees. We both wish we'd been to a place like this when we were kids!

Let me start with check-in. Because we were staying more than 3 nights, we got all kinds of freebies. What a nice surprise! We walked out of the office with our arms full. Nice touch!

Our room, in the tower, was a surprise too. It obviously had not just been painted and redone, but it certainly looked it if you didn't look too close. It's obvious it's well cleaned and maintained. Usually in beachside motels/hotels, there are things I don't want to touch. I know it's the corrosion from the salt air and hard to keep up with, but it's gross. I'm used to spending a week walking careful so as not to rub against bathroom and kitchen parts. Not so at the Sun Viking. I think it's their ventilation system or the AC or both. Either way, though we were on the 7th of 8 floors and should have been dripping in humidity, we actually had bathing suits dry overnight in the bathroom! It was such a pleasant delight-- I've been to places where 3 days after wearing a suit it was still damp!

I don't know where to begin with the other details. It was nice to have a place to go in the hotel where we could get breakfast or lunch. It was a good option, especially breakfast! Plenty of tables around in various places too.

Really loved the indoor HEATED pool wiht the waterfall. How nice to have that option the 2 days it was rainy and windy (too windy for the beach). It is cleaned every morning, and despite what someone else said about being over-chlorinated, I didn't find that to be the case and I am very chlorine-sensitive.

Someone else said the pools were small. When we were there, there were a lot of families on the 2 weekends (not during the week) and although one day the outside pool was slightly crowded, I was still able to swim around while DH enjoyed the slide over and over and over. We could have gone to the indoor pool where only one other couple were, but wanted to enjoy the sun. Btw, our first night we shared the indoor pool with another couple and at least 7 or 8 kids. I don't think any of us felt cramped, although there was a clear respect for everyone's space.

Speaking of kids-- my husband and I often felt like kids in a candy store. What to do? Indoor pool? Outdoor pool? Hot tub? Ocean? Beach walk? Shuffleboard? Mini-Golf across the street? We spent one entire day in our swimsuits just running from one thing to the next at the hotel. It was great fun in between our sightseeing.

We never did get our act together enough to get in on the bingo games, breezeway bowling and the other activities scheduled at the Sun Viking. We look forward to better planning next spring when we visit again.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention this. I finally got my first jellyfish sting. Naturally, i couldn't remember what to use on it, so while coming up from the beach I decided to try asking the lifeguard at the outdoor pool. She handed me a spray bottle with vinegar and water in it to spray on the stings and told me if I needed more that it was right behind the counter. I did need more later (after she was gone) and had no problem getting it. I thought it was so very nice to have that handy like that. Haven't seen anything like that in all the other nice places I've stayed! In fact, the ones who have mentioned jellyfish in their information packages suggest going to the grocery store to get vinegar.

I have to comment on the employees. Everyone was always so friendly and with a smile, asking the guests if they were enjoying their stay and was there anything they could do for us. It wasn't forced-- they seemed to be very happy working there and they seemed genuine in wanting to make everyone's stay a happy one. I mentioned earlier how clean the rooms were-- the grounds were too. Every morning early, there was a crew cleaning up, and someone was always around during the day seeing to things. This was completely different from my other experiences at other places.

The truth of the matter is that our lovely room at the Sun Viking was about $25 more a night than the "bargain" place we'd been staying in Daytona Beach. It was completely worth it. The difference between that other place (I'll leave it nameless) with it's sometimes not working elevators, dim lights, non-working lamps in rooms, cramped bathrooms with corroded fixtures, damp rooms, indoor carpets that get wet and stay wet when it rains, one cold pool that is never cleaned the entire week, no activities, a cafe that is only open a few hours in the morning, grumpy staff, lots of noise and an overall sense of dilapidation. I LOVED having a bathroom mirror with a light overhead that didn't leave me wondering if my makeup was streaked or not. We loved having two sinks (each with its own mirror and lighting). I really just loved having everything looking clean and fresh.

Oh, I can't believe I almost forgot this-- REAL DISHES AND UTENSILS! Our room had a full kitchen. The dishes were corelle (SMART move-- takes a LOT to break/chip them-- I know, they are the only dish I'll have in my house!). The utensils were not some cheap light set purchased at Kmart or worse. They were mid-weight and a pleasure to use. I'd even brought a knife with me because usually there isn't one, but Sun Viking had a very nice one in the room. And get this-- an ICE MAKER in the fridge!

These little things... all week long we kept coming up with little things that did make a big difference in the enjoyment of our visit, and they were worth the $25 more per night. Add in the big things, and we felt we got quite the bargain at Sun Viking.

Thanks Sun Viking! We had a great time, hated to leave (sorry for being grumpy at checkout, but we didn't want to leave!), and are already planning our return.

Stayed September 2005
40 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 5, 2005

Recently stayed for the second time at Sun Viking while returning my son to college in the area. We went down several days early to enjoy the beach and the sun.
Last year we stayed ocean front in the large building, which was nice, but this year we stayed on the second floor of the smaller building( trying to be frugal) , we missed the balcony but the accomadations were good. The room was very clean and good size for the three of us, the fridge and microwave came in handy and the daily newspaper is nice. It is only a very short walk to the pools and oceanfront. The little oceanfront cafe is good for a quick breakfast or lunch.
The staff was very pleasent and we had no complaints. It was a great deal for an oceanfront property. They have a returning guest rate that is great.
Would not hesitate to stay there again, not fancy, but great for a smaller family owned property.

• Stayed August 2005