“Great Family - Oriented Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sun Viking Lodge

Sun Viking Lodge
Ranked #7 of 103 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Manchester
“Great Family - Oriented Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

We have stayed at Sun Viking Lodge since I was a kid and now I take my daughter every year. It has a homey feel to it. The staff are always nice and friendly. I've never know it to be dirty. The waterslide is awesome. Right on the beach with. I recommend the efficiency room with the small kitchenette. It's only about $10 more per night and totally worth it.

Room Tip: I recommend the ocean front rooms on the 4th floor.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Kimberly G
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
First, let me thank this guest for returning as a repeat visitor and ranking us so high al all the different categories, it is such a nice compliment, thank you.

I agree with this guest; kitchens are just a little more in cost but the savings are quite welcomed. Our kitchens are equipped with all that is needed including a full size refrigerator with ice maker, full oven and 4-burner stove, microwave, pot, pans, silverware, toaster, coffee pot, etc. Most of our guests that rent rooms with kitchens, go out for dinner but eat breakfast, lunch and snacks in their room. It saves gas, saves the cost of eating out, and is convenient for not getting everyone cleaned up, and driving to a restaurant.

Our housekeeping and maintenance staff not only does a great job keeping the rooms and property clean but they love welcoming our guests as they go about their day.

Yes, the waterslide is our most popular amenity – kids of all ages love it and being located on the oceanfront is just the "icing on the cake"!

Once again, thank you for your loyalty – we appreciate you kind words!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

We have been going here since 1987 missing only 2 yrs. Lately we have been going two times a year. Its almost like a home away from home being as we always request and get the same suite. Its a great family place to vacation at

Room Tip: Id advise the original two story building. Its less expensive and easy in and out of rooms without h...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I would like to thank this guest for their review of our property. I must say, reading the words this guest expressed “a home away from home” is a tremendous compliment for a hotel owner to hear. Making our guests feel at home is our ultimate goal . . . everyone feels loved, safe and secure in their homes!

Many of our guests prefer our 2-story building with easy access to all our amenities, waterslide & pools plus the accommodations are less expensive – a win-win choice.

We are so happy they enjoyed their stay with us look forward to their return visit. Thank you again for your kind review.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

I've been coming here since I was 3 years old!! Very family friendly!! LOVE the slide. All the employees are wonderful. I hadn't been there in about 10 years and I went 2 years ago - and the pool lady remembered us from when we were little!! This is the only place I stay when I go to Daytona. We went during the end of August and they have screaming deals! So many memories!

Room Tip: Really, any room is great.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
How kind of this repeat guest to send in such a nice review. It does our hearts good to hear from a returning visitor, and knowing that this guest originally came as a 3 year old! Over the years, we’ve seen many families return; as several generations in their families continue to vacation with us . . . we are very blessed.

Yes, we agree, our employees also have keen memories and they too look forward to seeing the familiar smiles from our returning guests.

It was nice to hear that this family enjoyed their stay with us and again, and I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to send in this review.

We all look forward to welcoming them back to the Sun Viking Lodge . . . a place where they are always welcome!
Melbourne, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

This was our third stay at the Sun Viking. Twice between Christmas and New Year's and once after Memorial Day in May. Grandma, grandpa, two boys ages 8 and 9 and 3 other adults in two suites...there is something for everyone here. It's not the Ritz but then neither is my home...and it's better than my home in that the beds are comfy, we can cook our own meals (including barbecue on their gas grills),it has a heated indoor pool, a fun outdoor pool with slide and my favorite is that the suites are right on the beach. Nothing more beautiful than a sunrise over the ocean and a morning walk with on the beach with grandma and a flashlight walk on the beach at night with the kids. Excellent value and responsive staff. We'll be back!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank kadMelbourne_Fl
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
First I would like to thank this guest for returning to the Sun Viking Lodge and taking the time to write this review. It certainly warms our hearts to read of how much this guest and their family enjoyed their stay with us.

Many of our guests vacation here with their grandchildren and really enjoy just spending time together at the beach. The kids and grandkids will always remember the memories; what a wonderful gift to give them. We feel it’s a perfect way of connecting as a family and God’s way of calming us down.

We certainly agree that our employees are “responsive” and they do sincerely care deeply for our guests and their comfort. Again, I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to send in this review and we all look forward to welcoming them back to the Sun Viking Lodge . . . a place where you are always welcome!
Hamlin, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2011

We read Tripadvisor reviews which lead us to the Sun Viking Lodge, mostly for the waterslide and the ability to for a suite rather than just a room. We stayed over Thanksgiving. First, I agree with many other reviewers- this place is dated. Our room was clean but....could use updating. Kitchen- provides dish soap, one dish towel- paper towels holder, but no paper towels. Fridge was clean. Stove was old, foil on the burners, but clean overall (we did not use during our stay). The staff was very accomodating. They were nice and eager to honor requests. I didn't realize the poolside cafe was seasonal which was a little disappointing, also we read the pool hours and my son was ready to do at 9:00 but the waterslide doesn't open until 10:00. We stayed during the turkey run so no fault to the motel staff- it was loud in the morning when the cars where heading off to the race track. In the early hours it seemed some of the cars were in our room as they were preparing to head to the track. Now- the reason that I was reluctant to review- my 12 yr old son and I believe our room was haunted. The first night I wrote off the weird happenings and the woman's voice
I heard as a dream and a couple nights of not sleeping very well. However, when my son asked if I heard the woman after the second night, I knew it wasn't just my imagination. I don't believe in ghosts, but this experience has changed my beliefs. Due to the fact we were checking out that day, no need to change hotels. The presence wasn't harmful but there was definitely a presence. I read the place was once owned by a family from NY (1940's)- when I got back I researched if anyone else experienced anything weird ironically- another NY'er felt the presence- I don't know maybe somewhere back in time, something happened in that room and there is a relationship to NY- I wouldn't not stay because of this, I might however avoid this room- overall, the place is trying, it is clean, a few improvements could be beneficial. It was definitely a different experience during our stay- especially between 3-5 a.m. !!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank T1T2
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, December 14, 2011
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to send in her review. I am happy to share some of our great new improvements; some completed and some being done as I write this reply, that may help with the “dated” look this guest mentioned. We have spent almost $600,000.00 in the last year which is not an easy task, going deeper in debt. during such a slow economy! We started with all with new beds and new comforters in all 91 rooms, replaced all mechanical equipment of both elevators, new carpeting in all 91 rooms, a new large shade awning near our indoor pool, all new “top of the line” sofa beds, new upholstery on all guest chairs, new wall tile in all kitchens in 8-story bldg., all new curtains, bolsters and bed throws in all rooms in the 8-story bldg., complete resurface of outdoor pool, resurface 60-ft. waterslide and paint exterior of the 8-story bldg. Certainly, in a better economy, we’d do more.

Once again, I agree with the reoccurring comment that “our staff was nice and eager to honor requests” we get this comment all the time! We usually schedule the waterslide to open at 10am because of its popularity, the fun everyone is having on the slide, may disturb guests who may want to sleep in, if we open it earlier.

I apologize for our Kafe only being open seasonally, February thru Labor Day. Average daily sales in our off-season were running $18 per day in 6 hour time period.

We are not sure how to reply to being haunted. We did have Ghost Busters come and check and . . . NOTHING! On a more serious side, the actual buildings and all rooms, were not here in 1940 as suggest by this guest; the buildings were completely newly built in 1971 & 1987. As far as the voice this guest and her son felt they heard in their room while sleeping; perhaps, due to the special event in town, the Turkey Run Classic and Antique Car Event, there may have been some guests returning to their rooms very late at night talking and laughing close to the outside of this guest’s room or exterior hallways.

Once again, we are sorry if we did not live up to the expectations of this guest. Daytona Beach is a wonderful destination and our beach is one of the most beautiful beaches you will find. Thank you again for your review.
Coconut Creek, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

When my son was 11, twenty years ago, he saw the basketball hoop at Sun Viking as we rode in our car on the beach. In Daytona, we have never stayed anywhere but Sun Viking Lodge.
This past week, we visited with m son's children age 7 and 9. They enjoy Sun Viking just as much as their father did 20 years ago. We visit oonce a year and sometimes twice. We love having the peace and majestic beautiy of the balcony over looking the ocean. We love the
activities: Bingo, hula hoops, basketball shootouts. Both pools (one with slide and one screened in with water fall. We love the hot top, shuffle board and of course of the beaach.
The rooms are functional(full kitchen) Plan 6 has two t.v.s Second room is awesome with the sleep away couch. There is only one improvement we see: the restaurant by the pool is seasonal- we miss that very much off season.
Overall, we are Sun Vikings Fans through and through. We love Daytona because we can drive our van on the beach. Sun Viking We Will Be Back Lynda Micheslon and Claire Noonan

Room Tip: Get room type numbers 4 or 6 if you want a balcony view of the ocean
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
As owners of the Sun Viking Lodge, we would like to thank this loyal repeat guest for such a nice review. One of our goals has always been to offer family-friendly activities and amenities that encourage family bonding. Yes, we agree, our basketball goal is liked and enjoyed by many of our guests and it’s a pleasure to see children and their families shooting hoops together!

Our activity program is schedule year-round, even during our off-season. Both kids and adults love the events that are offered but what we like best is seeing our guests enjoy themselves. Families love the competitions and the kids love beating their mom and dad, not to mention their grandparents!

About two years ago, we made the decision to only have our poolside Viking Kafe open during the busy season, February through Labor Day and close it during our off-season. Since our Fall and Winter guests have kitchens in their guest rooms, most cook-in so there was almost no business at our Kafe, which prompted this decision.

We all look forward to welcoming these 3-generation family members back to their home away from home, the Sun Viking Lodge, a place they are always welcome! Thank you again for taking the time to write such a nice review.
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

The my kids, 11, 9, 6 and my husband and I loved the activities they had for the kids so we had some alone time together. The ocean view one bedroom room had a beautiful view since it was on the end with extra windows. Loved the roominess and accomodations. It did smell a little musty when you first walked in, by the airconditioner, but wasn't too overpowering. The room and location made up for it. Everyone in the office and by the pool was very nice. Met a nice family there.

The only thing I we were really let down by were the pools. We were sooo excited to try the slide and indoor pool, but the water smelled fishy and salty. My husband swore that it was a salt water pool. The pool attendant said it was fresh water with clorine, but too many people were jumping in from the ocean without showering first. We've been to lots of hotels near the ocean and never experienced that smell before. Maybe if there was more chlorine or cleaned more it would have been better. It looked beautiful by the pool, with the tropical flowers and the wind shield window was a nice touch. Please clean your pool a little better and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, November 26, 2011
As owner of the Sun Viking Lodge, I would like to thank this guest for this review. We were happy to read that this family loved our family activity program and that they enjoyed the location and view of their oceanfront room. The roominess of the accommodation is a comment we hear often, especially from families. Since July, when this guest stayed with us, we have replaced all the carpeting in every room, so the musty smell should be completely gone! Once again, the comment this guest made that our office and pool staff were very nice is a comment we hear all the time. We were happy to read that this family met another nice family (we have the nicest guests); this happens all the time with many families, who then make plans for their next stay with us, so they can “hang-out” again during their next vacation.

More importantly, I would like to apologize to this guest for the discomfort of a salty, fishy smell, she and her family felt came from our pools. I would like to guarantee that our pools and hot tub use only fresh, clean city water; we use chlorine in all and manually check the chlorine and chemical levels several times each day. In addition, both our pools and hot tub chemicals are continuously computer tested, which controls the amounts of chemicals and chlorine that is dispensed by our pool pumps. We also get unannounced water quality checks on a regular basis by our county health department with good reports. It is true that some of our guests’ just jump into the pool with ocean water on their swimsuits, so a little bit of seawater may enter our pools. However, this should be such a minimal amount compared to the tens-of -thousands of gallons of water it would not be noticed. Since we have not heard of this complaint about our pools before, I am a little unsure what these guests could have smelled. I have a few thoughts on what “might” be the culprit: the first is, occasionally, if we have strong tropical ocean breezes, coming in as an ocean mist, this can have a salty, fishy smell; generally, this is not that common; a second thought is that in the middle of the night, our irrigation system waters our grass and it uses underground well water which contains a certain amount of salt in it along with the element sulfur, which at times is stronger than other times, resulting in a odd smell.

We are sincerely sorry that this guest and her family were not completely happy and we hope that they decide to give us a second chance. All of us look forward to welcoming them back to the Sun Viking Lodge, a place where they are always welcome!