“Great Place!”

Ranked #82 of 103 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
“Great Place!”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel for ten years now on Labor Day my family and I love the hotel and the staff! The rooms are very clean and affordable. The outdoor bar is great and of course the beach and pool are right at the hotel. Breakfast is great love the service and great parking. This a a great getaway for the family!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great as they all have a view of the beach!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 27, 2012

For paying as much as we did for the rooms, we expected WAY better. During my two night stay, I killed a total of 7 roaches. That's 7 too many. I was so disgusted with our room. The mini fridge that was in our room was dirty. The sheets that were on our bed were stained. The room had a moldy, old smell to it. The only thing I loved about this place was the staff and the Bonkerz Comedy Club inside the hotel on the 10th floor. They hired some HILARIOUS comedians and had some good drink specials, but that still doesn't cancel out the fact the hotel looked like it was falling apart. It really needs to be renovated.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first when checking in.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Meluhknee
GeneralManager36, General Manager at La Playa Resorts & Suites, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so glad you enjoyed your time at our Bonkerz Comedy club and thank you for the kind remarks about the staff. I apologize if you found your guest room mini frig and sheets stained. I will review your feedback with our housekeeping department and staff to further strive to provide the quality we expect for our guests'. I do apologize you have come across the issue with bugs. Our Pest Control company take measures on a weekly basis to terminate and or prevent any type of bug in our hotel and guest rooms. Looks like you are only a short drive away from our beautiful beach; we do hope you give us another chance to provide a great travel experience in the future. Please call me direct for your reservation.

Have a great day.

GM

Travelers are raving about these Daytona Beach hotels

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Was booked in for two weeks. Left after one. First impressions: carpets when you walk in are WET. Don't ask me how, but the 80's carpets are just drenched. That's disgusting. Flip flops or shoes needed all day. Stayed on the 8th floor. Very loud weekend, quiet during the week. Rooms a very dirty. Bugs. Lots of small ants now moved into our luggege. Pretty gross but thankfully not cockroaches. Thankfully the beds were pretty comfortable and we only went to the room to sleep and shower. I was locked out of the room for an hour. Not because I forgot my room key, but because the door card reader needed replacement during my stay. In dire need of maintence. If they renovated EVERYTHING, it would be worth 59$ a night like I paid. In conclusion, tolerable but just barely. Place is filthy and smells bad. Mold. Did I forget to mention the dozen of hidden fees?

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank Tinatini
I truly thank you for your time in writing a review of your most recent stay with us at the La Playa Resort. We are aware of the wear and tear issues with our guest room carpeting and we are in the process of making improvements. We do have a commercial Pest Control company that services all areas of our hotel and any areas of great concern from hotel staff and guest feedback like this. I do apologize for the maintenance issue with your door card reader. Unfortunately we do not have the ability to know when a reader and or batteries go bad; we are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. As for the hidden fees you mentioned, I feel that are fees are not hidden at all, fees after room and tax are clearly stated on all reservation booking engines and directly included in the hotel room rate package when calling the hotel direct. We do hope you do give us another chance, we are in the process of making many improvements to our product.

GM
Centerville, Iowa
Reviewed August 25, 2012

The hotel was the worst place we have ever stayed it made low budget motels look almost like a luxury hotel. It was so outdated even the bedding looked to be 20 years old. The rooms were filthy, you felt dirty just walking into the room. My advice don't stay!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Becky M
Kingsville, Texas
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We were booked into the LaPlaya by the Preferred Guest Travel Agency on a vacation package my wife purchased and the place appears to be falling apart. Fortunately, I asked to see our room before checking in and we looked at 3 rooms before checking in. The tile walkway in front of our last room was coming up and maintenance had to place a couple of red cones over it. The next morning there were ants coming out from between the base board and the carpet, not one or two but lots of ants. After 2 tries maintenance was able to get rid of them. When I went to the restaurant, the upholstery in my booth was stained, worn out and had tares in the upholstery. The chairs at the adjoining table were had stains on them as well. Basically, the place seemed to be falling apart but the staff was very nice and tried very had to take care of our concerns, especially the maintenance guy.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before checking in, that way you can request a room change before carrying your...
2 Thank Larry342
GeneralManager36, General Manager at La Playa Resorts & Suites, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for staying with us, I am glad you found our hotel staff to be friendly but disappointed that your guest room and surrounding areas were of a concern. We are happy to say that the concrete walkway issue has recently been repaired. We had advised our Pest Control company of the ants in the guest room and see no activity since it has been treated. We do hope that you give us another chance when you are in the area. Thanks again for your feedback.

Orlando
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed somewhere on Daytona Beach on Friday and decided that we should find a cheap hotel/motel and bring the kids to the beach for a day before they start a new school year. Our original plan was to find a cheap room near the beach with a pool to rent on Sunday so that we could eat without sand in the cooler, have an unshared bathroom and be able to get out of the sun if the little one needed a break/nap. Before we picked the cheapest place to stay we decided to check out a couple places in a guide book we found outside of a gas station that rates the were "too good to be true." After checking out five places, we went back to LaPlaya (which was place #3 that we checked out) and rented the room for Saturday night and asked about late check-out times. They didn't guarantee a late check out time so we were hoping one would be available, if not, we would have rented another night that we would not have stayed for. We ended up with a two bedroom suite on the 9th floor, full kitchen and an oceanviewing balcony that slept 7 comfortably for around a hundred dollars. The pool was clean, the room was a little "stale" due to it being a smoking room and the elevators are slow. We knew that the indoor pool and hot tubs were not working, so that was no suprise. The tiki bar and music was nice and going almost the entire time we were there, which was from 1:30 pm on Saturday until we checked out on Sunday night at 6:00 pm. It did rain on Sunday very hard for at least an hour and a half and I believe the music and bar shut down then. It was still pouring down rain when we left, so I don't know if they started up again or not. I would go back. I only saw two bugs the entire time we were there. Staff isn't the friendliest, however, they aren't rude either, just very professional. There were a few leaks in the roof/ceiling that we had to walk around on our way checking out, but not in our room, that we noticed. Walls must have been pretty thick because our neighbors partied until 1 in the morning. I know this because I could hear them very well while I was on the balcony but not while I was inside the room. My husband and I slept on the murphy bed and I slept very good. The doors were a little hard to open and close. If you think the Hampton Inn is a decent place, then this is not the hotel for you. If you think that Motel 6 is a good value, then you should try this place out.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view, it will add to the "positives" of your trip.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
GeneralManager36, General Manager at La Playa Resorts & Suites, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you very much for taking your time and posting a review of the La Playa Resort. I am happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay here with us. We may be an older property but we do our best to maintain our guest rooms and overall property appearance. I hope next time you plan a getaway to Daytona Beach you think of us. Please be sure to tell the reservation department you are a repeat guest to receive your discounted rate. Hope to see you soon!

Scott Depot, West Virginia
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We have had a great time every year that we have stayed at this resort. The staff is always willing to help and is very friendly. Room was very clean. We really love Tara who works at the Tiki Bar. She is so friendly and sweet. She makes a effort to get to know you!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joy Ann C
Thank you for such great feedback. I will be sure to share your comments with Kara and our housekeeping staff. It is great to see that you are loyal guests of our property. Come back and see us soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Daytona Beach
Daytona Beach Resort and Conference Center
Daytona Beach Resort and Confere...
#23 of 103 in Daytona Beach
Atlantic Cove
Atlantic Cove
#20 of 28 in Ormond Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Daytona Beach Oceanfront
Hilton Garden Inn Daytona Beach ...
#13 of 103 in Daytona Beach
Grand Seas Resort
Grand Seas Resort
#55 of 103 in Daytona Beach
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,244 reviews

Been to La Playa Resorts & Suites? Share your experiences!