“An Enjoyable time on a beautiful beach.”
Review of Mayan Inn

Mayan Inn
Ranked #54 of 73 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“An Enjoyable time on a beautiful beach.”
Reviewed February 24, 2011

First of all we booked this hotel for a Valentines and Anniversary trip during speed week, then saw the reviews and were a little worried about the hotel. We were pleasently surprised with our room when we arrived, it was clean, comfortable, and what a view. Yes it is an older hotel but other than the door being hard to close and the noise from the garbage truck at 8 am we had no problems. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable, and we didnt see any bugs at all during our 4 day stay. We spent a lot of time on the balcony and had no issues with the club next door, matter of fact we had to play our own music because we didnt hear theirs. All the personnel we dealt with were professional and nice. So if you want 5 star go up the street and pay 3 times as much. (we do travel alot and have many hotels to compare it too, it is an average Beach hotel). Parking was a negative issue, where there was plenty of spaces they do charge a daily parking fee of $5.00.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tammyv

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Deer Park, Washington
Reviewed February 17, 2011

Stayed at the Mayan Inn on a business trip.

It looks like it used to be part of a well-known and respected chain but has left the chain and I wouldn't be surprised to learn it was kicked out.

1. My room was swarming with cockroaches. I woke up one night with a cockroach actually on my back;
2. The hotel is right next to a noisy nightclub. Now, my room was on the 7th floor but the yelling, whistling, shouting and very loud music from the club sounded like it was right outside my window. I was there 4 night and the music, yelling, honking and revving engines happened on 3 of the 4 nights until 2am. Luckily I had ear plugs which dulled the roar a little even though sleeping with ear plugs is less than ideal.
3. The hotel is in dire need of renovation. Towels are threadbare. Furniture is extremely uncomfortable. For example, my room had two chairs. However you could not sit in them for more than 30 minutes without getting an aching back (not great when you're trying to get some work done)
4. There is no level of security at the hotel. Random people wander the corridors sliding menus for local food places through the doors. During my stay I received at least 5 menus through the door.
5. Was advertised as having internet service. About 95% of the time I couldn't even connect to the wireless network, and the other 5% it went so slowly that I couldn't even get through the registration process. I used my wireless broadband card instead.
6. Walls are paper-thin and certainly not even close to being soundproof. In the room next door was a bunch of drunks who repeatedly yelled, shouted and banged on the connecting door.

Overall, as a frequent traveler I have to say that this might have been the worst experience I've ever had at a hotel, which is definitely saying something. Unfortunately I prepaid through hotwire so I toughed it out but otherwise I would have been out of there on the first night when the music and the cockroaches started.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Daytona Beach hotels

central florida
Reviewed February 10, 2011

I read alot of negitives. It is pretty clean. It is in the heart of it all. IT IS ON THE BEACH AND HAS A POOL! king bed, fold out couch, 4 seat table and chairs, micro and fridge. Every room faces the beach!
If you want room service breakfast, the $10 over cooked buger and white linen dinner. Go up the street and pay 3 times the price. You want to hang out on the beach, get sand in your toes, jump in the beachfront pool and have a place to lay your head. This is it. Silver spooners, go up the road and sit in your tah, tah room and watch Oprah! Thats why you came to Daytona? Right?
The music from the bar does exist? Turn the fan on. They were done at 12:30

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank myezzy
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed February 9, 2011

I read the previous reviews about the Mayan prior to a 2-night stay over the last weekend in January. (Theoretically AFTER the “renovation”.) Unfortunately, my lodging arrangements were made by the volleyball event that I was working and I didn’t have any choice in the matter. I wasn’t expecting luxury. Being former military, I’ve had to sleep in a hole in the ground that I had to dig before I could “check in”.

On the positive side, the room temperature was quite pleasant on a chilly winter weekend. There were two Queen-size beds, although that made the rest of the room a bit cramped. And, had my work not kept me away from the room during all daylight hours, I probably would have had a nice view of the Ocean. Of course, if I’d brought anybody along to enjoy a romantic view, they would probably have tossed me off the balcony for selecting such a dump.

This hotel’s room style clearly dates back to the 60-70s and hasn’t been updated since. Contrary to the management’s response to earlier negative reviews, there was little “newness” to our room. There was an abundance of mismatched and clearly used furniture. If management says that the linens & carpet were new, I won’t dispute that. However, it has little impact on the overall impression when the floors are littered with debris from previous occupants in the corners and behind the furniture items.

As is typical of old hotels, there were few AC outlets for modern electronics, and at least one of those didn’t work. The lights for the enclosed bathroom and separate vanity area are on the same circuit. So, if you need to use the toilet in the middle of the night, you either need to do it in complete darkness, or turn on a light that can annoy anybody still in bed. The vanity faucet had a single control that would tilt to turn on/off, but would not rotate at all to adjust water temperature.

The “free Internet access” appeared to be some sort of scam. On the first night, we couldn’t even access their wireless network. My call to the front desk brought a practiced “We don’t know nuthin’ about computers.” When I did eventually connect, it immediately led to a webpage that demanded a virtual biography of personal information. If that wasn’t bad enough, it then took you to a second page that demanded credit card information even as it clearly displayed a charge of $0.00 for the service. Momma didn’t raise no stupid children, so I gave them no useful information and was cheated out of the service.

Don’t even think about staying in the south wing if you expect to sleep. Friends staying there reported so much noise from motorcycles & barflies that they couldn’t get to sleep until after 3:00 AM. They were on the top floor. So, if it was that loud up there, imagine those with closer rooms . . .

The shared kitchen was in fact NOT locked by management. I have no clue who we were sharing with and made no attempt to use the kitchen. I used the built-in lock and had no problem.

The icing on the cake was returning to our room following a 14-hour workday, only to discover that housekeeping had never touched the room. Beds unmade, no clean linens; they never even opened the door! When I called down to complain, I was informed that absolutely no employees were on the premises other than the security guard. Apparently this happens quite frequently as he was very proficient at delivering clean linens to our room; lots of practice.

Management says that only 2-3 complaints were received that weekend. Maybe if they were actually present they could have heard all the others.

There are many nice hotels in the Daytona area, near the airport & race-track, and great bargains can be had through Priceline & Hotwire. If you must stay on/near the beach, then look carefully before you invest a penny. However, if you really want to be within staggering distance of a noisy bar and plan to pass out oblivious to your surroundings, then the Mayan may be for you!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 6, 2011

They charge for parking and the room safe. Didn't have extra bath tissue. Staff was somewhat rude, not friendly at all. Had I known this, I would've stayed elsewhere. Bathroom is extremely small too.

• Stayed February 2011
MI103, General Manager at Mayan Inn, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
The main draw for the Mayan Inn is its central location. We are a limited service hotel that was built in 1973. We just renovated our rooms in January 2010 to include Queen Size Beds, New Furniture, New Carpeting, New bed linens and New window treatments. Our bathrooms are small as was the construction norm 38 years ago. We do charge for parking which is listed on every web-site as well as clearly displayed at the front desk upon check-in. We also have a nominal safe fee which is also listed and it is explained that this fee may be removed at the guest request if they did not use the safe.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed February 2, 2011

We were in town for a youth volleyball tournament at the ocean center. Got a very good rate and loved the location. The only issue was noise from the bar next door. Not a great place for light sleepers. Breakfast was good and the staff was overwhelmingly helpful and friendly. I will probably stay there again next year and have people bring earplugs for the bar noise.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business