“bad experience”
Review of Mayan Inn

Mayan Inn
Ranked #54 of 73 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is the worst motel to stay and a rip off. The cleaning lady stole our camera out of our room, and when confronted about it, she said why would she take that little camera when she could have taken my brother's bigger camera in the room next door admitting that she's gone through our stuff. They told us they have problems with pizza delivery guys breaking into rooms. They broke into my daughter's room and ransacked it and stole money. Also, I booked this room direct through the website. They quoted me a price of $80.00 per night not including tax, but charged me $95.00-$105.00 before tax. So that was a rip off. They have safes in the room. I strongly encourage everyone to use them. Our safe kept freezing up. This is the first motel I've ever had to use the safe in.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Julie C
Theresa D, General Manager at Mayan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Julie, we appreciate your business as I know you were here for a wedding and had multiple rooms. I was involved in the situation that occurred along with our security staff and I know that your camera was found and a gentleman came down and appologized for the misunderstanding. I understand the housekeeper involved was upset having been accused of such a thing and was surely defensive when approached. If she did make a comment like that I can agree it was inappropriate and unnecessary and I do apologize for that. At the same time your camera was found and it infact was not her that took it. Guest safety is always a priority, which is why we installed cameras, added a 3rd party security company for additional coverage, and always recommend to every guest to use the inroom safe to store their valuables. I am sorry for the confusion regarding your rate, your reservation comes to use through an automated system and the rate was predetermined at the time of booking, we do not modify them in any way. Thank you again for leaving your comment and for choosing our hotel.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I frequent Daytona Beach often. The Mayan Inn is the best bang for your buck in the area. The staff is really awesome to deal with including Rachelle at the front desk. The rooms are kept up and the location of the hotel is great. The Tiki Bar out back is really good with some of the best drink specials in all of Daytona Beach. I'm a big race fan and would choose no other place to stay in Daytona Beach besides the Mayan Inn.

J- Ocala

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Theresa D, General Manager at Mayan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Thank you 99jake for your business and your kind words. We most definitely appreciate your decision to be so loyal to our hotel and our team of excellent people. Rachelle is wonderful and I am so glad to hear she has made your experience commendable. Come back soon!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed here Friday and Sat. night, I think it's kind of a "you get what you pay for" kinda place. But, in daylight hours we noticed a large part of the support structure of the building is missing, and the foundation is held up by metal poles and jack stands. It just doesn't seem right. Is this place about to fall into the ocean? We chose this place due to pricing when we researched hotels a couple of months ago. At the time it seemed like a good deal relative to nicer properties nearby (Hilton, Wyndham) but oddly enough using Trip Advisor, I noticed these nicer properties were completely competitive in price when you are flexible and don't make your reservations months in advance. Go figure, could've stayed in a luxury resort for the same price, low $100's per night. So, lesson learned, booking online and early is not the best deal.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We are preparing to start some exterior concrete restoration, which the jack stands are a part of. In order to make the needed improvements to the pillars which support that area of the building we must place these to relieve the pressure which rests on them. This area is normally one which you could drive under the building and park in the small parking lot behind the area by the beach. There is nothing missing, we have just added the stands as we prepare to begin restoration. This is a process that includes engineering and inspections to ensure that what we are doing does not jeopardize the safety of our guests and the integrity of the structure. While it is not visually appealing and does not help our parking dilemma by forcing us to lose 12 parking spots, it is necessary for the future success of the Mayan Inn. I hope this helps in offering a better understanding of the circumstance. Thank you

Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is an older property, but don't let that scare you away. The service is excellent! The front desk staff was exceptional when we checked in, and just now Phil helped us book a return visit. Housekeeping is friendly and efficient! This is an older hotel, but clean and the service is what you would expect at a 5 star!

Room Tip: South side fronts a popular restaurant/bar with live music that you can enjoy from your balcony, but...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review and for your recent stay with us. You are correct that our building is older, but we take pride in our ability to focus on a positive experience through excellent customer service. I am very happy to see that you found our team members friendly and efficient. Your comments mean a lot to us, thank you. I hope you are able to return again soon.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Do not stay here! Booked an accessible room, which it was not. Regular height toilet and tub/shower combination. I guess they wanted a wheelchair bound guest to shower by the pool! The door from the hotel room to the balcony over looking the garage and the restaurant next door did not lock! One double bed was freshly made but the other double was filthy. Hallway permeated with smoke. Went to front desk and we were moved to another room. Room was at least clean but do not look at the rusty door, the peeling paint on the ceiling, and the yellowed stained bathtub and sink. Why was it stained, turn the water on! Even after the I left the water running, it was still yellow. I am still wondering what the $8.00 a day resort fee was for. Stay somewhere else!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your business and for letting us know how your stay was. I am very sorry that your request for an accessible room was not accommodated. We have 4 accessible rooms with larger restroom & doorway, hand rails, and one with a roll in shower in our ocean view room type. It is very probable that these rooms were already requested by other parties. Our building is older and showing signs of its age, but I am glad to see that you found your room to be clean. We do have some repairs planned over the next few months and I hope that you will give us another chance to better serve you. It is best when requesting an accessible room to contact the hotel directly so we can ensure that we are both aware of and able to accommodate your request.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed here with family. We ended up moving from another hotel down the beach to this one, which we regretted. The hotel is very old and run down looking. Nice staff with an excellent location. The Ocean Deck Restaurant, right next to the hotel was worth the stay for me, because it was very good and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Theresa D, General Manager at Mayan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Matthew,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry to see that you were dissappointed in our accomodations. Our hotel is an older building, but we do our very best to provide clean rooms and a quality of service that one would expect at a 5 star hotel. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our excellent location and that you found our staff to be friendly. We appreciate your business and thank you for taking the time to leave a review.