“Disappointed”

Ranked #52 of 72 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Ravenswood, West Virginia
“Disappointed”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We had booked our hotel room 2 months in advance and were very excited to arrive at the hotel. We had read the reviews and since there was a huge discrepancy in opinions we decided to give it a chance. We had booked it through Expedia. Once we got to the hotel we noticed that parking is very limited. We also found out that we had to pay a fee for "parking, breakfast and safe useage". We were told that breakfast would be from 6-10 each morning. As soon as we got off the elevator on our floor, the smell of marijuana was overwhelming. We entered our room and it was clean, yet small. The bathroom was so small that it was almost suffocating. Then we made the mistake of looking into the kitchen that we had paid an extra 100 for. It was disgusting. Not only was the refrigerator rusted, but it smelled horrible. We were told that there would be pots, pans and plates and a microwave in the kitchen. We called the front desk and they said that they would try to find us some pots, pans and plates but since we had a kitchen we would not have a microwave. They did however find us one and bring it up. We also complained about the pot smoking and could sit on our balcony very little since the people below us smoked it on the balcony. This is not something that I wanted my kids to have to smell through out the hotel. It was on the floor with the laundry as well as the floor with the ice. It was reported, however I don't know if they done a thing about it. Our toilet did not flush properly from day one so they brought us a plunger. Out of our 8 nights there we had to go get breakfast elsewhere at least 4 times because they could not keep the food stocked. We were told "the truck is late, we ran out..." one excuse after another. the shower for your feet outside by the beach did not work. People were rinsing their feet off in the pool. The noise from the bar was loud until about 2:00, but we just turned on the a/c to drown out the sound. Our room was not cleaned on a regular basis. we went and bought our own trash bags and cleaner so we could clean it. We were gone for the day and came back and our new sheets were folded up laying on the bed. They did not make the bed or empty the trash that day. We had to ask for towels/washcloths almost every day. we called the front desk one morning before 9 and told them our sheets needed changed that day. At 6 we called them back and they said they would put us on a list and never showed up. The employees were nice to us however I was in the bathroom in the lobby - because of our toilet issues - and I heard an employee on her cell phone in the bathroom yelling at someone who did her schedule. she was saying she wanted at least a 50 cent raise or she was quitting - she wasn't going to do everything on her own. I think this is a conversation that needed to be private, not to have in front of guests. I also know she was an employee because she had on a Mayan Inn shirt. We had to use the laundry room a couple of times, but the change machine was broken for a few days. We had to get change from the front desk and they did not usually have enough quarters on hand. If they knew the machine was broken, why didn't they get change? We also had to use valet parking - it was 20$ to park overnight, however they reimbursed us. BUT...what was the parking fee for??? IF you want to stay at a place with a good location, and don't care about cleanliness or the smell of pot, this is the place for you. We will not be back. We will pay the extra $$$ and stay somewhere nicer!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Theresa D, General Manager at Mayan Inn, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Disappointed is never a word we like to hear regarding a visit to our hotel, I apologize for your experience with us. We are thankful to you for choosing our hotel out of the many options Daytona Beach has to offer. Your satisfaction means everything to us, and no matter what the reason unsatisfactory service on the part of our team members is not acceptable. Our housekeeping department knows the importance of their responsibilities to our valued customers and I have shared your dissatisfaction with them so that we may all learn how small things like towels and a properly stocked breakfast room can be the difference between and excellent stay and a dissappointing one. I am unsure about the staff member you mentioned in the bathroom as I make the schedule for all the departments and can assure you a conversation like that never happened with me. My only explaination is that this person may have a second job which she was disscussing. Either way you are correct that it should not have happened in our lobby restroom! Please accept my apologies and thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
villa rica
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Booked this hotel the day I was arriving.The front desk and checked me right in. Nice oceanfront room on the no driving part of the beach. Normally I wouldn't book a hotel near attractions, this is right next door to the boardwalk. It was good though. Beautiful in the evening with all the lights. The bar next door is louder than the boardwalk! They have bands and karaoke until 2 am. Very loud! I enjoyed it during the day and early evening.That said, for the price it was fabulous! Room was clean, staff was nice, pool was cold, beach was clean. They definitely need a sign to show where to wash the sand off. People don't CARE! I watched almost everyone come off the beach and wash their feet in the Pool instead of walking another 20 feet to the hose and shower! Sad! The pool guy did a very good job cleaning it every day though. Toni was Awesome! She runs the continental breakfast, head of housekeeping, makes orders and never misses a beat! Didn't have to wait for anything. Towels, room cleaned, breakfast, nothing! They need to pay her triple for her effort to everyone! She bent over backwards for all guests! Security guard at night helps with parking,he's very good since space is very limited. Overall hotel was perfect for us. Very nice trip!

Room Tip: Would give better ratings on some things but hotel is older and not a fancy condo. It was just fine...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank guzisue
Theresa D, General Manager at Mayan Inn, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and taking time out to write a review. I am so glad that you found our team to be accomodating and efficient. Toni is a valued member of our team and her efforts do not go unnoticed by fellow team members and guests alike. I have seen numerous people mention that they see people rince their feet off in the pool, this is very frustrating and only makes the job of keeping the pool clean that much harder. You are correct that we are an older building, but we always do our very best to provide excellent service and make our much appreciated guests remember what we did for them and not what we didn't or couldn't. Fancy condo we are not, but we strive for the same quality of service one would expect from even the fanciest of places. Thank you again for your stay and your review, we appreciate it greatly.
Kissimmee, Florida
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This hotel was perfect for our mini getaway. The front desk girls were amazing! They helped us get into a room with a balcony on our second night there, which was the highlight of our stay. We really enjoyed sitting out there watching the ocean. The location was also perfect since it was so close to everything. I would highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: make sure you get a balcony!!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Theresa D, General Manager at Mayan Inn, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, I am so glad that we were able to get you into the room you wanted and that you enjoyed it so much. We look forward to having you back again. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others, we appreciate it greatly. Hope to see you again soon!
Orlando
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

We booked a night at the beach for our son and his friend last weekend. They said that the room was clean, the staff was friendly, check in and out were easy, and being right on the beach within walking distance to activities was great. The best experience, though was how they were treated when my son discovered that he left his watch. He called the evening that they checked out. The desk clerk said that nothing had been turned in but to call back the next day when the head of housekeeping was in. When he called the next day, they still did not have the watch; they put him on hold and checked the room - since there was another guest in the room they got permission to go in the room and searched everywhere - including the drawer under the TV where they found his watch! Honesty in a hotel cleaning staff is paramount!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
I remember this situation and I was so glad that we were able to locate the watch for you. We appreciate you staying with us and sharing with others the positive experience you had. I hope you guys are able to come and stay with us again, Thank you.
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Thought the bar band and live karokee would stop at 10 or 11pm next door.. WRONG!! It goes to 2am EVERY NIGHT! its an "entertainment zone" so noise laws do not apply. I travel a lot and even Vegas is not this loud! Parking is luck of the draw to get a space. Would not stay here. Staff was understanding and nice.

• Stayed March 2013
I am so sorry about the noise, while the bar next door is a wonderful place to visit if you want some excellent night life, it is not very good at providing an excellent night's sleep! All of our staff feel badly that our guests have to experience this, unfortunately it is its own establishment which we cannot control. I hope you enjoyed he rest of your stay in Daytona Beach, thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Travelers are raving about these Daytona Beach hotels

Québec
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I read reviews saying this hotel was noisy because of the bar next door... I had a good deal so I decided to go anyways and ask for a room as far as possible from the bar (wich they did, 601). Plus, it was on a monday and tuesday so I tought to myself maybe the bar will be close or will close early. I was wrong!! Music went on until 1:30am It's not just music, it's a live band!! On the balcony, we needed to speak loud so we could hear each other and inside, it was like if the band was playing on our balcony! At midnnight, when the band started it's second set, the kids woke up and could't go back to sleep because it was too loud. I went to the bar to ask if there would be a band the next day and when the doorman told me there was a live band EVERY night we decided to chek out!! The manager let us stay until 8-9 p.m the next day with no extra charges...
Ok now, beside the noise....
This hotel is really a great location! We had a corner unit so we had the view on the pier on one side and on the beach on the other, it was REALLY beautiful! The hotel is old... But in O.K condition... Did not see any roaches on the 6th floor even if there was somme garbage in the hallway... We had an efficency room (with kitchen) but it's really basic... We only had 2 pots and 2 knives when we checked in, but the room service brought us what we needed.... Matresses were in good condition. Clean linens and towels.
Definitly not a place to go with young children... The bar next door looked great! The music was good too! If I didnt bring my children, I would have enjoy the night life... But...When you need to wake up at 6-630am it's not the same thing! They really should advise there guests that there is excesive noise until 1:30am EVERY night...

Room Tip: Corner units 201, 301, 401, etc. Great view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Charlton, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 22, 2013

As I waited to check in, several guests came up to the desk with complaints about their rooms, which didn't bode well; but I had a coupon for cheap room rate, so I wasn't expecting luxury. I was surprised when they tacked on a "resort fee," which I was told covered parking, use of the pool and continental breakfast. Really?

It was a rainy, cool night, so I wasn't going to be using the pool; and for breakfast they put out a couple loaves of bread, some small pre-packaged muffins, and some cereals- the weakest attempt at service I've seen in a long time. And I was given a wristband for the "privilege" of entering this breakfast room. Who's going to make the effort to sneak in for free slices of bread?

The bed and pillows were quite comfortable, which is of course the main reason I was there; and there was a nice little balcony, off my room, where I could relax and listen to the surf roll in, as well as some reggae music from next door which I enjoyed.

The Mayan Inn had a nice look from the outside, it was on the beach, and it was in a nice location. Inside, it was a bit tired and in need of renovations, but I got a good night's sleep. All in all, for one night in and out of town, it was okay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo