“Stayed here many times”

Ranked #78 of 103 Hotels in Daytona Beach
West Des Moines, Iowa
“Stayed here many times”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

My husband & I have stayed here many times & will stay again. Although the hotel is nothing special it's in a convenient location with great beach access. We always stay ocean front on the 8th floor. My biggest complaint is the bird poo on the balcony. I know it can't be comletely prevented but it could certainly be cleaned up better. I'm certain the balcony of the room we had in January hadn't been washed since the last hurricane. Joann at the front desk is wonderful and I'm glad to know that Barbara is still the bartender. (I just wish the bar was open more often) Yes, the elevators are old and slow but when I'm on vacation I try not to be in a hurry. The breakfast could be improved but it's acceptable.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SusanB1965
, General Manager at Mayan Inn, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Thank you for being a return guest to our property and taking the time to share your experience with others. We do understand that there are areas we need to improve upon, and appreciate feed back from our customers on the things we should focus on. I'm greatful for your continued business and we will be sure to address your areas of concern as we work toward improving our overall guest experience here at the Mayan. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Medina, Ohio
Reviewed June 20, 2012

The lobby looks nice and inviting, the staff is very friendly.... then you step into the filthy elevators, to the filthy hallways, to your gross room. We had ocean front so that was the only reason we stayed there the two nights. Splurge and go somewhere else!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Theresa D, General Manager at Mayan Inn, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Thank you for staying with us, I am glad you found our staff to be friendly and dissapointed that you found all else to be unsatisfactory. We are in the process of improving our elevators, but find it unacceptable that you found them to be dirty, as well as our hallways and your room. Your comments help us to know where improvement is needed and we appreciate you taking the time to bring it to our attention. I will be sure to mention your findings to those staff members whose responsibilities they are and we will do all we can to ensure that these areas are not in the status you found them again. I am sorry that our accomodations did not meet your expectations and hope you will give us another chance to improve your experience with us.

Thank you again for staying, your comments help us to do better and are appreciated.
Brandon, FL
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The older reviews scared me on here when I purchased a room online. The ones saying this place is horrible are wrong. Or they just had a bad experience, which can happen at ANY hotel. You know some people are more picky than others and I hate when uptight people ruin the reputation of places with STANDARD accomodations... you can't pay $125 for an ocean front view room with a private balcony and expect the place to look like the Hilton. That's just unreasonable. I was on a budget, looking for a room with a nice view to watch the sunrise. This was in my price range and I'm happy I went with it. Here is the truth, coming from a 36 week pregnant, 26 year old girl who rented a room for her significant other's 30th birthday on Father's Day. I'm not some kid on "spring break".

The hotel IS older, and I would recommend that the elevator be updated, but the rooms are clean. Customer service is very good. I did not see one single bug, so if this used to be a problem, it isn't now. For an extra $10, you can extend your stay from 11am to 1pm. The air conditioner worked very well. The tub did drain a bit slow, but it was clean. There was a mini fridge, coffee maker and microwave available for use and all worked fine. There was one small stain on the carpet, but you could tell the carpet was clean.. again the hotel is just a bit older. The beds did creak some when you moved around in them, but they were SUPER comfortable. I'm pregnant, so that counts for something! I like a bed that's a bit older and broken in. I don't like firm beds, but that's just my preference. The pillows were AWESOME. Super fluffy. I was surprised by that actually. The soap they provide smells pretty darn good, but I would bring my own shampoo next time. Theirs isn't bad, it's just the generic hotel stuff and I'm picky about my hair being soft. I did not use the safe. I took my laptop and left it in the room. No one messed with it. The front desk has towels available for when you're done swimming. Downstairs has a bar with a pool table. The pool goes to over 10 feet deep! Since the other reviews said that karaoke was a problem at the bottom and bird droppings on the balcony were a problem at the top, I requested a room at mid level. We had no problems with either one of these issues. The free breakfast consisted of juice, coffee, milk, oatmeal, 4 kinds of cereal, pre-packaged danishes and muffins and toast with jelly. I don't know why people would complain about that. That's pretty standard in the places I've gotten free breakfast. The boardwalk is super close. We walked to the mini carnival, restaurants, bars (didn't go in those though), beach shops, etc.. The pictures make it look like it's kind of in a dead area, but it's not at all. The roof on a FEW of the balconies is cracked, but that's just because it's older. The balcony was clean. It's clear from the condition of the hotel, that people swim a lot that stay in the rooms. It's got a used-beachy feel, but to me, that's not bad. I mean, they are right on the water.

I will definitely stay here again if I come back. I'd rather save $30-$50 on the room per night compared to other places and have that money to do fun things. =D I hope this helps!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank brigitte7186
Theresa D, General Manager at Mayan Inn, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
I cannot thank you enough for your very honest and accurate review of our hotel. While we do have some aging, we do all we can to keep our prices reasonable for the type of hotel that we are and with our incredible location to a lot of area attractions it is certainly a fair deal overall. We appreciate you taking the time to let everyone know your experience, we can only hope that people will see this and give us a chance. It is wonderful to have some positive remarks out there. We see so many times people will leave having had a wonderful time but fail to go online and tell others about it. It is usually those who found a negative aspect of their stay that want to yell it from the roof tops!!

Thank you again for your kind words and good luck with your new baby!!
Kissimmee, Florida, United States
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We spent 2 nights at Mayan and had no issues at all. Clean room, friendly staff and Barbara was a great bartender! The hotel could definitely use some updates (the shower head) but all in all a very enjoyable place to stay!

Room Tip: Ocean front King room is the best!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your review and thank you for staying with us. We have an excellent staff that always does their best to ensure our guests feel comfortable. Barb is a fantastic bartender and is loved by all who get the chance to meet her! Sorry about your shower head, we will be sure to look into that. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience, we look forward to having you come and stay with us again in the future.
Distant
Reviewed June 14, 2012

This was our first time staying at the Mayan Inn. We have been to Daytona many times but we had to find a new place to stay. The desk clerk above & beyond to help us get the rooms that worked for us. We reserved 2 rooms through a general booking company and they had us on opposite ends of the hotel. When we arrived the desk clerk took care of us & got us adjoining rooms. Love places that have adjoining rooms. rooms were nice and little outside tiki bar was nice. Stayed a week and had a parking space each night, was worried abouth that from other reviews. Will stay again on next trip to Daytona.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
I am so glad that we were able to accomodate your family and make your week with us more enjoyable. Going above and beyond for our guests is important and we always strive for excellence when it comes to customer service. I am pleased to hear that parking was not an issue for you. I can be honest and say we do have some challenges in that department sometimes! We do have a number of adjoining rooms which is great for larger families, and having the full kitchen certainly helps as well. We look forward to your return and thank you for your kind words.
Luverne, Minnesota
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I have stayed here several times and can always show up and get a room for a cheap price with fantastic views. I love to sleep with the patio door open and hear the wind and ocean all night long (from Minnesota so we don't have that) and this hotel delivers on that! The staff is always nice, the room is as clean as it is going to get. The rooms are small and outdated but if you are on a budget and want some of the best views you will ever have stay here. The higher you stay the better the views! The pool is great!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Avon, Ohio
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I was able to stay at the Mayan Inn for almost a month and over that time was able to watch and meet the staff, Everyone at the front desk was great, especially Mike, who was accommodating and super friendly while maintaining his professionalism, honestly the location, the view and the rooms are great but those can be found many places, the reason ill go back to the Mayan Inn is because of the people

Room Tip: rooms that end in 01(like 301) are the bigger suites but they take from the rooms that end in 02.(li...
Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Theresa D, General Manager at Mayan Inn, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
I am happy to see how much you enjoyed our hotel and staff during your stay. We work very hard to ensure the highest level of customer service. We have a wonderful staff here who appreciate each and every guest that decides to stay with us. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience, we look forward to a return visit from you in the future!