“Good but technical problems and not compensated”

Richard Petty Driving Experience
Junior Race Car Ride-Along Program at Daytona International Speedway
Vancleave, Mississippi
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Good but technical problems and not compensated”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

So let me give you a background. I have always wanted a 911. I went to Junior High School down the street from the Porsche dealership in Bossier City, LA and we would walk to the dealership on football game days (wasting time after school) and I'd drool over the car. So when I called to book and found out it was the cheapest, it was fine with me...it was the car that I wanted.

Now the cars are getting used daily and hard. Don't expect a showroom car. That being said, I wasn't there to scrutinize the condition of the leather seats, I was there to drive the hell out of the 911 so I was fine with that. The instructional course is more of a "how to handle the course" class. It tells you things like 1) keep your hands a 3 and 9 2) don't look at your speed (we blocked the speedo anyway) 3) where to turn and when 4) where to brake and when. They also tell you how to handle situations where some grandpa is in front of you doing 15mph and you need to pass. The solution: pass on a strip that bypasses the actual course. Huh? Because I am here to race and this grandpa is here to Sunday stroll in a Lambo, I have to skip the course to get around him?

So THREE times I came up on somebody and had to pass. The guy says, "Sorry about this, I'll give you a few more laps". I said "It's alright. No problem". So he tells me to pull off like normal and I'm thinking "Was that really 7-8 laps? No way." It wasn't, he never gave me the extra laps but I didn't complain I just went inside to get my videos and printouts/times. I get inside and I'm watching the girl fumble with my video and my wife says "is there a problem?" Long story short...yes there was, the video completely crapped out and skipped and jumped through the whole thing. It was so messed up that the data sheets wouldn't even come out right. You are supposed to leave there with all the video and a printout showing how you did on all five laps. I skipped three of the laps and didn't even get to do it over and then didn't get my video or printouts.

They made no attempted to actually compensate me for either of the missed laps or the missing data AFTER the whole missed laps. Just handed me a stack of papers with jumbled information and said "Thanks, come again".

I realize that most people's experiences are probably pretty nice but this is like any other company and they have problems and they should know how to handle the problems. I paid for myself to race which was about $180 and then paid for both of my boys to do the NASCAR ridealong thing which was another $130. I kinda expected a little better.

4 Thank Shawn R

jacksonville florida
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“You have to try this!”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

It was a little confusing at first to get signed-up and out to the track because the fellows in guest services did as little as possible to communicate how the process works. First they suspended the experience until later in the day because of track activity which was understandable. They told us to come back and they would sign us up. When we came back at the designated time there was a line forming and thank goodness we made it when we did as they were only taking the first 30 people. Once signed-up the fellows in guest services just pointed on where to go so most people were confused on how to get to the parking area out by the track. We just followed each other until we saw the sign. However, once we got to where we were going it was AWESOME!

We were taken by tram to the Pit area of the track. This is where you pay (we had ordered my husband's ticket via the internet) and sign a waiver taking responsibility for anything that may happen. Once this process is complete, you go to where you put on a drivers suit and the helmet. Then off to your car for either a ride along or to drive.

My husband absolutely loved the ride along! Next year I might buy him another ride but maybe longer. He wasn't the only man that came out of the car saying, "I'm not totally convinced I could drive the thing."

Make sure to check out the internet specials and dates they have the experience in Daytona. They have the really high turns!

6 Thank skeeterflorida
London, Canada
142 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 317 helpful votes
“I want to go back!!!!!!!”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

This was a Christmas present that I used on Valentines day. This is by far the best thing we did during this trip to Florida.

The speed was like nothing I have ever experienced. The 32 deg bank looked like a wall!

The drive yourself has an instructor sitting beside you helping you out. I peaked at 166 mph. The 8 laps were over in a blink.

The really great thing was that we were here just at the start of Daytona week and a week before the 500. All of the teams were present and we were allowed in the fan section where you could watch the crews working on the cars. We stayed for a couple hours just walking around.

2 Thank dan459us
Denver, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Was amazing but mind the detail”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

If you are into speed, this is for you. I did the driving experience and it was like no other experience. The corners are amazing and driving yourself is the way to go. I will do again and probably go for a longer package. One detail to know is that your total laps include a warm up lap and a cool down lap so for my 8 lap experience, it was actually only 6 laps. Still worth it as race week is next week, all the carrier trucks, actual race car and excitement was here

Clifford, Pennsylvania
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“So Nice I Did It Twice”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Planned my drive program on Friday since I was coming from Pennsylvania that way if there was a weather problem I would be able to do the Sat or Sun event. I had such a great time on my Friday run I came back again on Saturday and did another program. Everyone at the experience was fantastic from check in, driving class, pit road, to check out. Anyone that is a NASCAR fan, Car person, or thrill seeker should do one of these racing programs. I’m sure I will be doing this again at another track and when I get back to Daytona I may go for another run there.

Visited January 2014