“An overworked motel, try somewhere else.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of San Marina Motel

San Marina Motel
Ranked #85 of 103 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Cleveland, Ohio
“An overworked motel, try somewhere else.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Truly, I'm not fussy when it comes to accommodations. When I'm at the beach, I'm fine with a local place that has good rates, a decent pool and a friendly staff. The San Marina motel is not really the best spot. It feels like the place has seen one too many seasons of spring break or bike week without the proper TLC to get things spruced back up again. Most of Daytona Beach feels this way, but I digress.

The room I stayed in was shabby, the linens and towels were not very clean. There is no hair dryer in the room (I mean, come on. Who packs a hair dryer anymore? I thought that was a standard in the hotel business these days.). The grounds are positively littered with cigarette butts and bottle caps.

The owners are not friendly; they come off as brusque and surly. I never feel compelled to secure my things when I leave my room but I locked up my suitcase when I saw the housekeeping crew. In fact, I refused service from them when they first came to my room because my things were scattered about and I didn't have time to gather them and secure them that day.

The pool truly is the best attribute to the place but it was not clean and, like everything else on the property, looked like it needed a good scrubbing, along with skimming and maintenance.

Internet signal was really weak in the room where I stayed (119) and when I asked for the PIN for the stronger signal, I was flatly denied.

I saw that some reviewers complained about the parking situation. I didn't have a problem at all with parking, which came as a relief.

I bailed out 2 days earlier than I'd planned and headed to Orlando. Unfortunately, I lost money because I booked through hotels.com and the reservation was nonrefundable. Save yourself the expense. Daytona was a bust, overall. Go north to Ormond Beach, which seems far less sketchy. But if you must stay in Daytona, go with a different choice.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank italia9970

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Here on business trip now May 28,2013
Small room but has new carpet,flat screen TV, microwave, and fridge. No clue what people are complaining about. OK it is small bars of soap, my experance with hotels they are all the same, small hotel soaps. Also same thin small hotel towels. Will always stay here when I come to Daytona! The price is great. Only complaint is the deposit for non smoking room that was not disclosed up front. Yes all rooms are not created equal but room 119 is the best. On back side of building, could park my car in front of my room door. Not many rooms have this, since parking is on the back side of the building.

• Stayed May 2013
Magnolia, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Worst service possible. No service actually. We stayed there new years eve because we didn't plan on spending much time in the room and just needed a place to sleep. We had errands to run around town the next morning, but I ended up wandering around the parking lot and hotel grounds for over an hour instead. Someone had parked directly behind our car. I contacted a wrecker service to move it, but they said they needed the hotel's permission. No one would answer the door or phone at the hotel though. Someone finally answered to office door to the hotel and it turned out to be one of their employees/family members that was parked behind me. They're lucky I wasn't in my truck or my Ranchhand would have moved that BMW for them. Won't be back, at least not in a car!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Daytona Beach hotels

Ocala, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

I came to Daytona Beach for the day and night to visit a friend. All I needed was a clean room to lay my head down for a good nights sleep before I left the next morning. Upon check in I asked to see a room. The room I was shown was by the pool and looked acceptable for the low rate. I paid and was given the key.
To my surprise when I came back from my evening out, I rwalize the key # was not to the room I was shown. It was to a small one bed room in the back of the bldg. Can you say "bait & switch"? I was horrified but I was exhausted. I noticed from the outside the rusted air coniditioner unit. That was just the beginning. Inside the bedspread had large cigarette hole in it. The "towels" were thinner than my dish clothes and had rips in them. The shower and sink were filthy. The mini fridge was rusted. When the AC was turned on it directly blew on your face when laying down. It was only 2 ft. away from the bed. I went to use the phone to notify the desk of how unacceptable this was but...hark...there was no phone!!!!! What if there were an emergency and I needed to call 911???? When I had initially pulled up there were seedy looking people in the back of the bldg. and I did not want to go out, walk all the way around the bldg. at night to notify the desk of my problems so I just sucked it up. At 9 am I was awakened by someone trying to enter my door. Fortunatly I had the dead bolt on but I screamed out loud thinking I was beeing robbed. Then there was loud pounding on my door and someone yelling "time to wake up". Was this my wake up call? Oh yes it was! UNACCEPTABLE!!!! I cannot believe in this day and age that filthy horrible practices of this kind are still in use. Please, for your own safety, peace of mind and health, NEVER stay in this motel regardless of what room they "show" you, how reasonable it is or at least for your own health.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank parrot2head
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

my girlfriend and i stayed at this hotel the past weekend.the people stay closed behind the doors.you have to keep ringing the door bell before they answer,upon entering the room,we saw a chicken bone by the bed which goes to show, the maids don't clean up.i was in the room no longer than 15 minutes and i was welted on my hand and arms from mosquito bites.they gave us a beat up wash cloth and towel.when i went to ask for more, they said they didn't have anymore when my girlfriend seen more by their desk.they told me to come back tomorrow and the truck would bring new wash cloths.morning came, went to get was rags, rang the damn door and no one came.i kept ringing it till someone came. the indian lady opened the sliding window pissed off because i woke her up,i asked her for some rags, she said she didn't have any.on their website, it states a dvd player is included in the stay, you have to ask for one.asked the guy about it, he said no,there isn't no dvd player.i shown him his own damn website.then he said he would call his boss to find out.he looked under the draw and pulled out some beat up dvd player and said here, and said i had to give him $100 bucks to borrow it.i told him to forget it.he got pissed off.how dare i have him look for something his web site said it provided.by far worst ever motel.cops everywhere,drunks.i would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank js583
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

It was hard to find parking in the tiny parking lot. As we walked to our room, I could see our window from outside. However, upon entering the room, I saw that it had been boarded up, plastered over and painted over WITH THE CURTAINS STILL ON THE WINDOW and visible from outside. There was no phone, clock, or microwave. There was no cleaning service at all for the week we stayed there. The only thing clean was the pool. Only top half of one of the 2 electrical outlets worked. Our “queen” size bed was a twin at best. The headboard was covered in dirt and grime. The TV was turned to face the wall and there was no remote control for it. We were asked for or offered drugs every night that we smoked outside on our balcony. One morning we awoke to a man POUNDING on our door and shouting obscenities for at least 5 minutes but since there was no phone and we had no cell phone, we had to sit on the bed and wait for him to leave. HE TRIED TO FORCE OPEN OUR DOOR but surprisingly enough the locks were functional. The only light that came into the room each morning came from the peephole on the door because there were no windows. While were staying there, we saw a car back into another car and then speed away. There was a pile of vomit on the sidewalk on the way to the pool that stayed there for most of our weeklong vacation. Every night we dreaded the thought of going back to our windowless prison. I would highly recommend suicide before staying here again. There was coffee mix waiting for us in our room but no coffee pot or microwave to make it in. We had a bunch of good laughs about how terrible our room was and love telling people our story about it. This is the first review we have ever written for a hotel but this place is so unbelievable! I recommend this hotel only so that you can see something like you’ve never seen before. We enjoy reading the terrible experiences others have had; they bring back such vivid memories of our stay and never fail to make us laugh.

Room Tip: Your car would be the best option
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Alexandra Y
corunna
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I came to Daytona Beach for vacation a week ago and stayed at the San Marina Motel on Atlantic Ave. Other than the cheap pricing and the somewhat cleanliness of the room, my experience was terrible. The guy at the front desk was not polite at all. I had left my room to do some shopping and upon returning I had been locked out of my room because someone apparently was knocking on my door when I was gone. I had not seen anything out of ordinary before I left and was not notified that someone had been knocking on my door that afternoon. I was highly upset when the man at the front desk said it was because of this happening and I was not aware of this situation whatsoever. Later on that night I was sitting outside on the balcony and two suspicious men were walking through the parking lot. They proceeded to go to a girls car that was staying in the room next to me and slash all four of her tires and pour sugar in her gas tank. This was unbelievable to me for they did it only 3 feet away from where I was sitting. The guy from the front desk came out, saw it, and did absolutly nothing. He saw me sitting outside still and didn't bother to ask if I was ok, what I had seen, alert the girl whos car it was, or even call the police. The next day come to find out the girl had said it was a "bad drug deal". Long story short the people in the motel are the number one problem and the man at the front desk including. When I told him that I felt unsafe to stay any longer he would not do a single thing for me, even though I am a 20 year old girl 1500 miles away from home. This was by far the worst hotel experience of my life and I would never reccomened this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family