“Inexcusable Hotel Room (221)”

Residence Inn Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport
Ranked #29 of 103 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Tampa
“Inexcusable Hotel Room (221)”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

I am (normally) a fan of Marriott Residence Inn's. However, after my experience at this property I may never book at a RI again. This is one of the more expensive properties in Daytona, and the fact that I was put in a room with massive spotlights, and EXTREMELY loud vent ports, was not appreciated and resulted in a horrible nights sleep. This was a single night stay for business purposes, so basically I am going to my meeting on 4 hours sleep. That's fine.....I'll live and I do not make a habit of complaining. In fact, under my profile, you can click to see my "review distribution. Out of something like 34 reviews, I've given only 3 "1 star" reviews. Most of my reviews are only to rave, but this is just inexcusable.

I am attaching photos so that others can see for themselves. These multiple lights....right outside both windows, light up the room. The shades are no match! As if that wasn't enough, it's as though when the property was designed the engineers said, "Let's make this room the worst in the property.....we need to make it the brightest AND noisiest!!" I don't know what the vents are for that you see, but there is one outside of EACH of the two windows. Perhaps they're vents for the laundry room. I do know this: They are LOUD!

Also, why do Residence Inns by such cheap fitness equipment? I spent an hour on in their "newly refurbished" fitness center, and their treadmills and ellipticals are just flat cheap.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY IN ROOM 221, or anywhere on the 2d floor!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank TampaScott
AlexFreid, General Manager at Residence Inn Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Good Morning...

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again in the future.

I am sorry to hear that you had such a disappointing experience at our hotel, most specifically with the quality of you room. This is the first feedback I've heard regarding the lighting and noise from that room and I will make sure to have our engineering team look into all the issues. This is not our typical level of service and/or quality of product and I am surprised and disappointed to hear that you experienced this. I would love the opportunity to make it up to you. If you are traveling to the Daytona Beach area again, please consider giving us another try. I would personally like to ensure your stay is to the level guests expect out of a Marriott hotel.

When and if you come back to Daytona Beach, please contact me directly. My name is Alex Freid and I am the General Manager. It would be my pleasure to see that your next stay is more to your expectations.

Alex Freid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
St. Augustine, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Very nice hotel near both the airport and the speedway. This was a business trip so being near the beach was not necessary. This hotel was very nice as were the staff. Had a 1 BR Suite that had its own living room / bedroom and a small workable kitchen .. very nice. Close by are lots of restaurants and you have a shopping mall @ 1/2 mile away.
Overall very nice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
AlexFreid, General Manager at Residence Inn Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Good Afternoon...

Thank you for choosing Residence Inn by Marriott Daytona Beach for your most recent business trip. Whether traveling on business or pleasure, our hotel has everything a guest or family would need! Just as you mentioned, we are very conveniently located near the airport, restaurants, shopping and just a short drive to the beach.

Even though this was a short trip for you, I am happy to hear you were able to enjoy the area a little bit. Please come back and see us again soon!

Orlando, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed one night with family. Room was comfortable for the 4 adults. Friendly staff, hot free breakfast. Chilled at the very nice pool and was less than 5 miles from restaurants, shopping, etc. Also very short drive to beach and boardwalk. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013
Good Afternoon and thank you for your recent stay with us! As you mentioned, we are very conveniently located to shopping, restaurants and just a short drive to the beach. Your gracious comments are greatly appreciate and we look forward to having you back in the very near future!

Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed at this hotel over Memorial Day weekend with my family. This hotel is located 2 minutes from the airport and 5 minutes from Daytona Speedway (you can see both from the hotel). There is also a large number of fast food and sit down restaurants within 1-2 miles of the hotel. The staff at this hotel goes above and beyond to satisfy customers. They are friendly and responsive, and it shows...the hotel is VERY clean and well maintained. The pool area is very comfortable - nice outdoor furniture, grills for cooking out and a basketball court. Pool towels and basketballs are provided. The beds are comfy, as are the pillows. Rooms have flat screen TVs. The parking lot is well lit, and there is plenty of room to park cars, trucks or trucks towing trailers. I did not eat breakfast here, but it appeared that the standard breakfast was provided in a nice eating area. This is my 2nd stay here, and I would stay here again.

Good Afternoon!

Thank you for your continued loyalty to our Residence Inn by Marriott in Daytona Beach. Seeing how it is your second visit, we must be doing something right! :)

Thank you for the great comments. Our staff continually goes above and beyond every day to ensure our guests get outstanding service a safe and quality environment and a great night's rest. I am happy to hear that we delivered on that promise during your two stays with us.

Again, from all of us at Residence Inn by Marriott Daytona Beach... thank you!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a number of times when visiting my daughter at Embry Riddle. It's as close to the school as you can pretty much get and the Speedway is just across the street. They have a great breakfast in the mornings, with just about everything you could want,and it's all included with your stay. The rooms are nice, roomy with sitting area and kitchenette, and very clean. The best thing though is the staff. They are very friendly and most helpful. My 99 year old mother and father-in-law were guests and they really kept track and helped my mother. Bill was awesome along with several others on staff. The rooms are very reasonably priced too! There is a small market off the lobby where you can purchase a number of items. The gym is nice with a good variety of equipment.

Room Tip: Never had a bad one!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
AlexFreid, General Manager at Residence Inn Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Good Morning...

Thank you for allowing us to serve you during your most recent trip to visit your daughter at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. Seeing how this isn't your first trip to the area, it is nice to hear that your experiences at our Residence Inn by Marriott Daytona hotel have all been memorable. Your observations and experiences are shared with all of our guests and we hear such great comments regarding our location, our service and our upgraded product. Not only this, but your views regarding Bill at our Front Desk are shared by so many of our guests. He is truly an asset to our organization and I will make sure he is recognized (again) for his outstanding service.

Thank you for the GREAT review!! Please visit us again soon! We look forward to serving you in the future!

West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Very clean and staff were very nice. Close to Universities, airport and shopping. Free breakfast was great and they extended my stay as needed and did not have any issues doing so. Room was clean and neat. Grounds and pool were in good order and plenty of towels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Good Morning...

Thank you for your recent stay with us and thank you for the great review! Our team prides itself on delivering outstanding service and a clean, crisp product for our guests. I am pleased to hear that you were able to experience all of that in our conveniently located Daytona Beach location.

Please visit us again soon! We look forward to serving you again in the future!!

Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

You never know when you are going to have an unexpected surprise and the Residence Inn on the Speedway in Daytona – was our unexpected surprise. Why you ask? What could be different about this Residence Inn?
People, comfort and appearance. Bill gave us so much service, was happy and just knew how to make a guest feel welcome. He went above and beyond the call of duty wanted to carry on a conversation took interest in his guests. He switched us to two queen beds, gave complimentary waters, local tips and made sure my son knew about breakfast and conversed with him. You know the old saying – happy wife, happy life. Bill knew to treat my son special and he would make mom happy, then husband is happy and the family has a great time!
Something I suggested that the clerk at the Bohemian Hotel in Celebration needed a lesson on. Bill and the team from Daytona Residence Inn should give some lessons to other Marriott Staff members. The other clerks we encountered were friendly but we only spoke in quick passing.
The room was checked before we entered – it was clean! This hotel was clean and staff was in the business of hospitality and really got it. Kudos to all of you.
The breakfast was standard fare and satisfying enough remember it was included in price of room.
Location was perfect for our needs while there for basketball tournament and we were in for only one night. Remember I said one night and we were treated like gold. We used a reward certificate for this night so I didn’t pay for the night and still was treated like gold. That’s why I stay committed to Marriott because when I run into people like Bill they make me want to come back. Check out my other reviews and you will know that I am fair and well-traveled to know what feels good, looks good and is good.
I would stay again just because and maybe next time try to squeeze in a tour of speedway.

Room Tip: We were pool side on the ground level. Quiet and no complaints.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
AlexFreid, General Manager at Residence Inn Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Good Morning and thank you for your recent stay with us in Daytona Beach! Your fantastic comments are much appreciated and your observations of Bill and the rest of our team will most definitely be shared with our entire staff. Bill is an outstanding associate and always goes above and beyond for our guests. I will be sure to recognize him for his efforts with your family's stay.

Again, thank you for the great comments! We look forward to having you back in the near future!!