“Didn't Know we were coming”

Residence Inn Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport
Ranked #18 of 73 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Reviewed June 22, 2011

We held a meeting here scheduled for a Friday evening. We were suppose to have the room since 3pm and arrive late in the 4' oclock hour. When we arrived no one knew we were booked!! Luckily, I had the reservation contract on me, but the room was not set up at all! It was a nightmare, the event was suppose to start at 5:00pm and we were not in the room until 6:15. There were so many complaints and free "gifts" I had to give participants for all the complications and the room never ended up as promised. Then, to top it off, a manager argued with us, in front of our guests stating it was our fault the room was not properly reserved, and demanded full payment or else she would remove our party. I was appalled that the hotel was not only not acommidating and apologetic, but also had the nerve to argue with me in front of our guests. I to date cannot understand why they couldn't have just taken care of us, and waited until the conclusion of the event to sort out matters since I proved my right to be there. The general manager the next week tried to make things right by refunded the room cost, but due to the negative public feedback we received due to the incident, I still don't know if that was enough, but also don't know what else they could have done.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank flcovermiss

Reviewed June 13, 2011

First, this is next to the Daytona Speedway yet fairly central for those visiting friends or other Daytona attractions. I was visiting family for Thanksgiving and was assigned the task of making both the mashed potatoes and the gravy for 35 for diner. So I needed a suite that had enough working space in the kitchen along with two bedrooms and this R.I. Marriott fit the bill quite nicely. The bed rooms were large as was the living room/kitchen space. I searched all the sites for hotels and found a great rate at a nearby comparable hotel , called this hotel directly and they matched the rate!!! Nothing fancy yet my needs were met without a problem!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank fldave
Reviewed May 3, 2011

We have been staying at this hotel every spring for the last 4 years. We usually stay 10-14 days. We always have enjoyed our stay here, but this year was by far the best time we have ever had. We traveled with our children and grand children. The room was always clean and well supplied. Some days we did not need maid service, but they were very prompt at getting us what few things we needed. The pool was nice and warm which made it very enjoyable for everyone. There was a problem with the hot tub and we missed being able to use it, but I am sure that it is fixed by now.

The breakfast was great! It has a big variety for everyone. The breakfast staff did a super job and are so friendly and helpful. We also enjoyed the Thursday night BBQ. It is fun meeting all the other hotel guests and socializing with them at the get togethers the hotel has for the guests. The dinner/social staff prepared delicious food/snacks for these events.

Bill, at the front desk, is so nice and has a wonderful sense of humor. He also has a wealth of imformation about the area which is helpful for us travelers. Everyone that worked there was always kind, friendly and helpful.

Stay here and you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 31, 2011

So horrible weather swept through the Daytona area, and our neighborhood once again lost power. In the past we would have just thrown our hands up and said "who cares" but with twin 1-year olds we decided it would be easier to just hit a local hotel for the night. Obviously this stay was totally unplanned.

My wife called the Residence Inn and got a business discount through work. So obviously the price was right.

But what amazed me was how awesome the staff was. The lady at the front desk was sympathetic and immediately put us on 2 p.m. checkout the next day because of our situation. She said "take the time if you need it, we'll be OK". Then she spent 5-10 minutes online trying to print out menus so we could get some takeout in the room. She didn't have to do that.

The next morning, I'm trying to get our twins into the van by myself, and it's still pouring on my head and I was in a huge rush to get back home and the manager himself helped me get them in there without the kids getting drenched.

Not only awesome staff, just really good human beings. Now, we may not get a chance to stay at the Residence all the time because we live locally, but they will be the ONLY place that gets our business if A) the weather does that to us again and B) we have family in town. We will recommend this place until rapture.....it's a new property and it's very well run.

The free breakfast was outstanding with plenty of space to sit. We got a two-room suite and the room was clean to the "T" with plenty of room to space out. Had a fridge, oven, microwave -- everything you'd expect at a place like this.

We walked away QUITE impressed.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We were in town for the Daytona 500 and couldn't have chosen a better spot!! Just a few short weeks before we were traveling to Daytona, I checked the website and found they had an opening. How lucky we were!! We got a two bedroom suite and it couldn't have been better. The track was only a block away and our suite overlooked it. We were thrilled!!

It was very clean and the service was fantastic. The food served for breakfast and the BBQ was great. The pool was warm and felt great on a cool evening. I can't wait to go back

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2011

Cant beat this hotel for the races. It is the absolute greatest location, and within easy walking distance to the track and all the events.
Breakfast is very good; and service at the hotel is very good. Bill the manager is so nice to work with; and to give hints on dining etc.
Best of all is location, location, location. A race fans dream come true. My grandson could sit in bed and watch all the before/after race happenings--when he wasn't at the track.
Easy drive to beach even during race events.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2011

We stayed here for an extended period of time for family function. It is literally at the end of the Daytona Beach airport property and also convenient to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. You must drive to the beach which is about 6 miles away.

Upon arrival we were given a studio room on the 5th floor. We opened the curtain to the only window in the room to stare at the corner of the building and therefore had a very limited view of anything. Disappointing at best. We called the front desk and were given another room on 5th floor. This room (studio) had 2 windows which was nice and looked out on the airport side of the hotel over the pool.

The only thing immediately noticeable was the amount of dust on the tables, desk and return duct. It looked as though this room hadn't been used for a while - so we just ran a towel over things and cleaned it up. Not a big deal.

After purchasing a few groceries, we put them in the refrigerator. The fan kicked on and wow - it was noisy. We tried to run the garbage disposal only to have it not run and the sink back up. My husband turned on the sink in the bathroom and the entire faucet came off in his hand! There was no way we were going to tolerate these inconveniences the entire time, so I went down the to front desk to report the problem. The front desk clerk put in a request for maintenance the next day.

The next day, upon returning to the room in the early afternoon, we discovered no maintenance on the items had been completed. I went to the front desk to ask when someone might be coming. The desk clerk (a different person) had no record that maintenance was to come to our room at all. He put in a telehone call and had someone to our room within a half hour.

The maintenance person, Cliff, who worked at the Courtyard down the street is to be commended as a dedicated Marriott employee. He was kind, considerate and extremely conscientious about his work. He had all 3 items resolved quickly. He showed pride in his work and we are hoping this note gets back to him and his supervisor.

The breakfast area was clean and well-stocked. There are a variety of food choices which is great. We didn't use the pool this trip, but have on past trips and it is nice and clean. Parking is well lit and plentiful.

Overall, this is a nice hotel - mostly thanks to people like Cliff who take care of the property.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple