“Good place”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Kansas
“Good place”
Reviewed May 3, 2007

The Ocean Walk was an okay place to stay. I've seen a couple people on here say it's one of the nicer places to stay in Daytona Beach, but that's not saying much. I'd agree, but say it's an okay place, even for non-Daytona standards. The timeshared part of the hotel (you can rent through vacationrentals.com, and I'm sure those poor timeshare suckers will be really thankful you did) is pretty nice. Suite-style rooms, with nice living room areas, TVs in all bedrooms, great master baths, washer and dryer, and a great kitchen. Not even a kitchenette - a full kitchen with oven and range. If you're coming to stay for a long time, you can definitely treat it as a home away from home. The rooms are clean, but you don't get replacement towels each day.

The beach is actually quite nice and not horribly crowded. The pool's a little different story - fairly overrun, but not awful. It's a little dirty and rundown - everyone in our party cut their foot while in the pool. Some okay stuff for kids, including a nice (but small) lazy river to float in.

We didn't eat in the hotel's restaraunt, so I can't comment there.

The parking's okay, assuming you have one car. If you have more than one car, it'll cost you and you'll have to hike at least across the street if not beyond.

All-in-all, a pretty decent place to stay in an otherwise nasty tourist trap of a city.

• Liked — The rooms were spacious and clean
  • Disliked — The location (Daytona) is a little run-down, and so are this hotel's pool facilities
1 Thank LyndaKansas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed May 1, 2007

Before my trip to The Ocean Walk Resort, I did a lot of research on the resort. I looked through a lot of reviews till my eyes went cross, and when I got in the car for the trip I have to admit was just a little bit worried. We got to the Resort at around 2, and since our friends were VIP we had early check in. Granted we waited for about 10 minutes while the people in front of us took forever, but as soon as it was our turn it took about 3 minutes to check in. We didn't have to wait till four like people had talked about on so many sites. The bell hop was right there ready to take our luggage upstairs. The eleveators were quick (in fact the only time we had a really long wait was the day we left). After we got back from the grocery store we realized that our fridge did not work, they came up in about 10 minutes to fix it. they advised us that if it still didn't work they would come back. at about 10:30 at night we called them because it still wasn't working. They came up and replaced the fridge that late at night. That was the only problem that we had. The rooms were nice, nothing was broken or stained. The pools were the right tempature. Later in the afternoons the teenagers got a little out of control, but the security (yes they are every where around this place) quickly put stops to it. I have nothing bad to say about this place. It was the best place i have stayed in, and I have stayed at some really nice places. the staff is perfect and always willing to help (if the bartender is Nathan ask for his special drink). And I am not sure if the problem was fixed or never exsisted, but we never had to wait for a pool chair. There were always more then enough, and they do take your towl and stuff to the sun center if you do leave your chair for more then a hour. Also if you are looking for gifts a local gift shop across the street from the resort on the corner is the best out there. nothing is overly priced and has a lot of stuff. Too many people are picky about this place. They need to understand that this is a time share type enviroment. you are not going to get new towls everyday and you beds are not going to be made (although half way through our trip they came in and gave us new towls and made the beds). If you really want a great stay in Daytona Beach, stay here.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
7 Thank srigole99
Boston
Reviewed April 30, 2007

I read so many bad reviews before leaving, I was scared. But I must say, our stay (family of 4 - 2 small kids) was great! First, we booked privately through a timeshare owner. I did this online through vacationrentals.com. This I believe is the way to go. The owner owns the condo outright, so the unit was CLEAN and everything was great... even check in.
My husband used the spa for a massage and had a wonderful experiene. The pools were clean and the overall resort was clean. The front desk stay friendly as were all the employees we encountered. I honestly can't say one bad thing. For all who are going... don't fret.. we had a great time!

3 Thank 123Boston
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed April 20, 2007

I should have realized when it took us close to an hour to check in that this wasn't going to be a good experience. Next was the clueless time share girl who had no idea what I was talking about regarding if we took their time share tour. When we went to the vip desk to inquire the woman working had a very difficult time listening to our problem and was very impersonable. After she finally made the phone call to the 1-800 # on the ocean walk website and spoke with someone in reservations and confirmed what we were stating she sent us back to the time share desk only to have the 2 girls again state that what we were saying wasnt something they did. After explaining that yes your vip attendant just verified this she again wanted no part of the conversation. The employees here are not "people friendly" and want in no way to help make your stay easier.
We ended up with a room with a fantastic view. That was a plus. But the couch and bed were so hard my back ached. (I never have backaches)
We had a 1 bedroom w/ hot tub. Think that was great? Nah- Tub wouldnt hold water right -so if u used it as a regular tub all you heard was loud draining. Not very relaxing.
Screen door to the balcony was broken. Our rooms were never cleaned. Towels were minimal.
The food situation was a joke. Breakfast that came in a plastic container. We decided we were going to check out a day early due to the unfavorable atmosphere.
Couldnt get a bellman to come up for our bags- When we went to get a copy of our bill the front desk couldnt find it. Mind you they left us standing there and carried on a conversation with each other in the mean time. I am a Florida resident and I can tell you as a "local" there are plenty of resorts/hotels that will make your stay comfortable. This resort was a great one when they first opened but somewhere along the line they have become a little worse than everyone else.
It amused me to look on their website to try to find a contact person at the resort. Guess what? There isnt any listed so now I understand why after my experience and reading others.
Good luck if you stay here!

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — The condition of rooms and the employees
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hhess407

Travelers are raving about these Daytona Beach hotels

Shelbyville, IN
Reviewed April 19, 2007

We stayed at this resort during spring break, April 1-6. We rented directly from the owner, not the hotel. Check-in was a breeze, room ready on time, and the room was clean! (and I'm very picky). We bought all our own food, and even extra TP just in case, washed our own towels, which by the way, we had plenty for 7 people. You do have to wash your own towels and take out your own trash, but they have trash chutes on all floors. We felt very safe, always security walking around, checking wrist bands to see if you were a guest around the pool area. Always found a parking place, but we were never out super late maybe 9pm at the latest, with 4 small children. The only down side was that the elevators were slow at times, like check out times or "time to go to the beach and pool" times. But overall not too bad. Never waited for one longer than 5 minutes. You have to expect crowds if you go during spring break, and maybe even a little partying, but there was never anything that was too annoying, couldn't hear much thru the walls, and we had some parties going on above us a few nights. The pool does get crowded early, and you can't go down just to put your stuff on a chair, b/c if hotel staff walks around and sees no one in the chairs, they put a notice on them, and if no one has returned in 30 minutes, they remove your things and take them to the towel stand to be retrieved. I suggest renting 2 beach chairs, little table, and umbrella for $25/day, plus you can add extra chairs for $8 a piece. Pool does calm down later in the day, so go then. Whatever you do--don't order delivery from a restaurant called "Pizza, Subs and More". There was an advertisement in our room for it, so one night we called and it was the worst food ever! Not just a few of the things, but everything we ordered! We just laughed about it b/c it was so bad.
All in all the price was right for the time of year, and I will definitely go back if I get the chance. But like I said, rent from an owner, not the hotel. Just so you know, Daytona beach is much cleaner and newer than what I remember from my "spring break days" many years ago.....

• Liked — Roomy, washer and dryer, kitchen, view
  • Disliked — Nothing!
7 Thank Morningstar97
Depew, NY
Reviewed April 16, 2007

I arrived at the Ocean Walk on April 7th and was immediately upset with the customer service. Got kicked out of line twice stating that we were not allowed to pre register. Room was not ready by 4pm. When we finally got into our room, we were given a 1 bedroom instead of two. When I called down to the desk they told me I had to get back in line to get the room fixed. When I finally got the right room, we all decided to take showers, but no hot water. The whole tower had no hot water and this had been a problem for 2 days now, and they checked me in anyways. I went down to complain and there were 30 some
people down in the hotel lobby complaining about the hot water. I finally got my room changed about 10pm at night. What a vacation. Then when we got to our new room, there were no towels and it was smaller than the original room. When I went to the desk, I was told that the laundry is sent to Orlando and the truck hasn't come in yet. I was able to get a few towels, but no washcloths for 3 days! The next day I called to see when my room would be cleaned, since when I booked it a year ago, I was told it would have housekeeping included. The woman laughed and said "honey you must clean your own room, wash your own towels, and take out your trash!!!" So I paid over $300.00 a night for nothing. The next morning I again went to the front desk and was given free dinner tickets for all my problems.
So my family went to dinner the next evening. We ordered chicken, and
actually got 4 plates of completely raw chicken. We returned it to the kitchen and they were very apologetic, but my kids got up walked out and went to Burger King. They did make sure they took pictures of
their raw chicken!!The next day we went to Disney and came back at midnight to no parking spots. One day we lost power in our room. You definitely don't get what you pay for here at this hotel. The staff got to know me because of my frequent complaints, and they stated since they changed hands from Fairfield to Wyndham, the hotel has gone downhill. They fired most of their housekeeping staff. The staff
hates it. They laugh about the inservice they must attend where they learn about MAGIC-making a good impression on the customer. This hotel makes an impression on the customer, but not a good one. You must go down to the desk for toilet paper or anything else you might run out of. Its a joke of a vacation staying here. I saved up all year to take my kids on this trip with their friends, and I was thoroughly disgusted. I have stayed at alot of hotels before, but this is definitley the worst. There were parties down the hall with kids getting arrested. It was very loud. There were missing pictures on the wall, just nails in the wall, the sliding glass door to the balcony didn't shut properly, so we were left with sand flies all over our room every morning. And you would think when a different company takes over, customers would be notified since it doesn't include the same things as when the room was booked. If it had housekeeping when it was booked, it should have it when I stay there or my price should be reduced. The owners of shops in Ocean Walk also
laugh about the hotel. They say when they have friends and family come down, they won't let them stay at Ocean Walk because its so bad,
they stay at the Hilton. The security is a joke. I also picked this hotel because it was supposedly safe and you needed your key to get into the hotel, parking garage and into the pool area. There was never a security guard at the pool gates. The gates were always open There were always kids walking around from different hotels. The elevator waits were sometimes 10 minutes long. We were told during spring break to take the stairs, but we were on the 23rd floor. I would never go to a Wyndham Hotel again.

• Liked — that it was on the oceanfront, thats it
  • Disliked — poor customer service, poor service in general
5 Thank denene914
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed April 14, 2007

We just returned today from a little getaway to Daytona Beach. This was my first time staying at a condo type stay and the experience was very good, I would stay here again. The view and amenities were excellent.
A few things: Believe them when they tell you that checking in is at 4pm. You might want to stack up on food for the little kitchen as the Fairfield does not have a good restaurant and the little bar area is very minimal, mainly just for snacks.

• Liked — Generous space and good views from the balcony
  • Disliked — the bedroom window faced the hallway, so everytime people walked by they would wake up my baby
2 Thank snshn3