“Ocean Walk is Just Wonderful for all the Family”
Review of Wyndham Ocean Walk

Wyndham Ocean Walk
Ranked #21 of 74 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 8, 2005

I have been in numerous amounts of timeshare resorts in both America and Europe and this is by far the best. Our two bedroom unit on the 13th floor was just beautiful with amazing ocean views. Our two year old grandson just loved the activity pool and what was so good about this, was he was never out of his depth at any point in the pool. We had no problem with lifts or trouble getting sun chairs and the lazy river was our favorite past time....our wee boy fell asleep on this twice while sharing a ring with gramps. We have visited Florida twenty plus times from Scotland and we always say we will do a different area of the state each time, but now all we want to do is return to Ocean Walk. The staff were extremely friendly and always helpful. We should have checked in at 4pm, but they allowed us in to our apt at 12.30 which was much appreciated. The amenities around the resort are great and there are plenty of great eating places close by. Ocean Walk definitely deserves it's Gold Crown status. I cannot fault this resort in any way whatsoever...one very happy Scottish visitor who can't wait to return.

16  Thank anneusa555
Write a ReviewReviews (2,242)

Reviewed September 22, 2005

we just returned from our vacation at oceanwalk and what a vacation. this place has everything, resturants-theaters-entertainment-minature golf- computer room- entertainment for the kids, wonderful pool areas. you will not have to move your car, you have everything right there. we will be back next year.

11  Thank caroleinoibnc
Reviewed September 18, 2005

Rooms are NICE
Great pools and Lazy River

2  Thank Lanetk
Reviewed August 30, 2005

We arrived at Fairfield Ocean Walk Resort in Daytona Beach on Fri., Aug. 19, 2005 at 3:40 PM; we stayed for a week. Apparently, the resort was not fully booked. We pulled up to the exterior of the resort and saw about three cars waiting. I had read reviews of the staff being rude to those trying to check in early, but I decided that “you can’t win if you don’t enter”, so I decided to see if we could get in 20 minutes early so we could go ahead and park. I was pleasantly surprised to walk into the very beautiful lobby to see that no one at all was waiting to check in! I had expected to see the hour-long line that I had read about and others had experienced. I walked right up to the desk (no line) and asked about checking in a little early. The lady was extremely nice and, with a lovely smile, immediately told me that my room was ready and that she would certainly go ahead and check us in. That was a great start to a great stay at Ocean Walk!

Check in was quick, and soon we acquired a young bellhop named “Charles” who was very nice and treated us as if helping us was the only reason he came to work that day! We made polite conversation as I walked with him to our room as he carted our large amount of luggage; meanwhile, my husband parked the car in the south tower garage. He had no problems getting a parking spot. We left several times during our week-long stay and never had a problem getting a good spot (although I could see that if the resort was filled to capacity that it could be a problem). Be careful about walking/driving in the garages, though! Too many drivers are driving around the tight corners like they are the only ones there! Slow down, please! :-)

We were blessed with an Ocean-front 1 Bedroom Deluxe on the 11th floor of the South tower near the back-end of the bandshell. We had room 1114 A and were thrilled with it. Upon entering, I gasped at how beautiful everything was and to see the ocean right outside of the sliding glass door. The unit was very clean with nothing missing, and the neat shapes that all the towels/washcloths were in made us almost not want to use them and mess them up! It was not perfect, but nearly so! The shower was a little tricky to get hot water from, but my clever husband figured it out and it worked (although I only used it once and enjoyed the hot tub the rest of the time); we had to turn the knob all the way on in one direction until the water pressure left and then turn it back the other way very slightly where there was a very small “window of opportunity” for hot water! (although not with as much water pressure as we’d prefer). There was a stain on the carpet in one small area in the living room, but other than that, the blue carpet was very nice. You could see where a part of the microwave door had been broken and glued, but it wasn’t an eyesore for me, just a close observation of mine. I loved the cheerful décor, the ocean-front balcony off of the living room was wonderful for watching fireworks from the pier and listening to a concert at the bandshell one evening. I enjoyed using the Jacuzzi nightly after my swim! There was never a problem with getting plenty of hot water for the Jacuzzi, by the way. The washer/dryer was a great help (I probably did 2 loads a day, our own clothing & freshening towels/swimsuits). The kitchen had all we needed for cooking and dining, and everything was in great shape. My husband and I thought that our King bed was very comfy, one of my sons comfortably slept on the queen sofa bed in the living room, and there was plenty of floor space in the living room for my other son to use his air mattress with sleeping bag. They are teen boys and will NOT sleep together! ;-) During the day, the air mattres was placed in the entryway closet out of the way. It was plenty of room for the 4 of us; we all loved our condo!

I couldn’t find any sheets/blankets for the sofa bed, so I called the front desk around midnight our first night there; they sent someone up within 15 minutes with clean sheets/blankets, which I thought was a reasonable wait. In everything, we found that we received wonderful service from the Ocean Walk staff!

It was very hot during our stay, so doing anything outside other than swimming wasn’t even a consideration for us. We loved being able to go to the 4th floor of the North tower to play putt-putt golf in the COOL A/C in the middle of the day when the sun seemed its hottest. This was free and a lot of fun for us. The resort offered many activities for all ages, but we opted to do our own thing for the most part.

I think that a lot of people checked out during the weekend, so Sunday through Friday left the resort much emptier during our stay. Since the resort was not too full, the pools were never what I would call crowded. I don’t know why, but pool wristbands were not used, nor given out during our stay. The lady at the front desk said that they weren’t using them; I was glad for that! Some may have saved their pool chairs, but it was not very noticeable if they did; there were always some empty lounges (usually many were available). I do know that the pools were always open except between 6:45am and 8:15am (or sometime close to those times). During those times, they pressure-washed the pool deck (I watched them a few mornings) and there were no towels or other belongings anywhere near the pools or deck. If someone had gotten up before 6am to save a chair, either their stuff would’ve gotten soaked or they would’ve removed them (so nothing was ever sitting down there at that time during my stay). The beach was never crowded during our stay, and we loved the ease of going back and forth from pool to beach and vice-a-versa (there are showers & spickets to rinse the sand/salt off as you enter pool deck from beach). I loved the lazy river (never a line for it, but clearly very popular), although I did suggest on our comment card (that we turned in to the front desk) that there be periodic adult-only float times i.e. first 15 min. of every even hour. Kids can get really rowdy in the lazy river…and it suddenly feels very UN-lazy during those times. There were some times that I could relax in the lazy river, although if it had been busier, I wouldn’t think enjoying it would’ve been as possible).

We chose to attend a timeshare sales pitch our second day there and had a time window of being there anytime between 9am – 3pm. It wasn’t too bad and took about 90 minutes. We didn’t buy, but thought that the $50 restaurant-of-our-choice gift card and 4 Free adult Daytona USA combo tickets (with track tour, worth over $30/person) were worth the time. There were several other choices in gifts available also. The resort never called us about attending, but we were pursued by a man in a Fairfield timeshare booth at the Ocean Village Shoppes. We had already planned on going anyway, so we didn’t mind him asking us about it.

All-in-all, we loved staying at the Ocean Walk Resort. My husband is pretty picky, and even he wants to go back whenever we take another beach trip! I could’ve easily stayed 2 weeks instead of the 1 that flew by too quickly! The place is beautiful, and I know that my instant camera photos will not do it justice.

24  Thank doula_lori
Reviewed August 21, 2005

This is our second time staying here and I promise I would not stay any where else. You do not need to stay any where else. If you have small kids or teenagers as I do, there will be something for them to do. It is a safe and protected place to let you kids be kids and have fun. The board walk is beside you and the shops are great. The rooms are fantastic and the service could not be any better. I cannot say enough about this place except tosay THANKS for making our vacation an absolute pleasure.
Thank You!!!!
The Poston Family
North Carolina

• Stayed: August 2004
11  Thank Mustlovedogs8
Reviewed August 9, 2005

We loved our room it was great and the view of the ocean from it was spectacular. The pools were quite noisy at times it definitly isn't a place for relaxing. This was by far the most crowded resort on the beach. It made the (4) elevators per tower crowded and ridiculously slow, we did however get a great workout because the majority of the time we had to go up or down we had to use the stairs. The crowdedness also made getting a pool side chairs IMPOSSIBLE to ever get, at least I never got one. They open it up at 8:00 and by 8:05 they are all taken so be first in line if you want one. There are signs that say you can not reserve chairs, and DJ Credible who is there from 10-2 daily announced that if people did that security would remove their belongings and they could find them at the front desk although during the 7 days we stayed there that never happened. When questioned about it we were told we could put their towel on the ground and use the chair but we were trying to vacation, not start confrontations. I feel the resort should have staff that does this.

Don't get me wrong, we were completely satisfied with our unit and we had a fabulous time while we were there. The kids had a great time playing in the pools,downstairs in the arcade and miniture golf area. We also did the timeshare deal were we got a $50 dinner certificate and four movie passes, the resteraunt (the views,* great food*) we picked sent a limo to pick us up for dinner for no additional charge. The kids loved the experience. There was so much to do at the resort and in the immediate area that we didn't even find the time to use our movie tickets. We would definitly stay there again anytime we are looking to have lots of fun, if we are just looking for a little relaxation we'll probably go elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2005
10  Thank mistyromine
Reviewed August 2, 2005

My husband and I, our 12 yr old daughter and her friend, and our 17 yr old son and his friend stayed at the Ocean Walk the end of July. We had been scheduled to go to Playa del Carmen to an all inclusive resort that week, but the night before our departure (really the early morning hours of our departure date) the forecast track for Hurricane Emily caused us to cancel our Mexican trip. We were all extremely dissappointed, having planned and looked forward to the trip for a long time. We were packed and determined to go SOMEWHERE, and were fortunate to get accomdations at Ocean Walk in Daytona, a 2 1/2 hour drive from our house.

We had a huge 2-bedroom beautiful apartment on the corner of the 24th floor in the north tower. It was ocean front, with amazing views of the ocean and down Atlantic Blvd. The master suite had a jacuzzi tub, king bed, nice sitting area. The other bedroom had two double beds, a walk in closet and another large bathroom. There was a washer and dryer and fully equipped kitchen, including a blender for margaritas. We could only have that room for 2 nights.

We then had one 1-bedroom for two nights, and two 1-bedrooms for three nights. The bellhops were very helpful, and stored our things the day we had to move. They even stored the refrigerated items for us. The next unit was in the south tower, (a little older) but was on the 18th floor and was beachfront with amazing views as well. It was smaller, with two double beds in the bedroom, a pull out couch, but a fully equipped kitchen with bar, VCR, and a washer and dryer as well. The bathroom was a little smaller but still nice. We didn't have to move after two nights. We just added another unit which was on the 12th floor for the boys.

The girls absolutely loved the resort. There were constant activities with the game room, putt putt golf, internet access, and video games. There were tons of teenagers and they made some friends. The 17 yr olds loved the location at the boardwalk, and loved the fitness room.

The hotel connects to the shops at the Boardwalk, which was really convenient. There were live bands at the bandshell and fireworks several of the nights. The hotel is beautiful, with entertainment by the pool during the day. It was the closest thing to the all-inclusive resort we could have found in terms of activities for the kids and entertainment.

We did have to play the "towel game" every morning to get a shaded spot by the pool. The security guards actually would not let anyone on the pool deck before 8:00 A.M. to reserve a spot, so what ended up happening was everyone waiting by the door (some actually kind of hiding in the bushes - really!!!) and then at 8:00 making a mad dash to get your preferred spot. We were lucky and were able to get shaded tables at the pool with views of the ocean every day. One man actually fell running to get a spot one of the days. He got back up though and did get his spot! I noticed people coming down around 9 still able to get chairs by the pool, but if it was much later than that, they were taken. I also noticed the beach in front of the hotel was really crowded, but we considered it a trade-off to put up with a more crowded beach in exchange for a full service resort with all of the activities and amenities it offered.

If it were just my husband and I, I would opt for a condo on a less crowded, more laid back part of the beach. But with teens and preteens, they'd probably be bored and this resort fit their needs perfectly. They had movies for rent in the lobby. They had crafts every day, and board games, footballs, frisbees, boogie boards, etcetera that could be checked out at no charge.

Worth noting is at The Eatery just off the lobby you can purchase a drink, and get free refills the rest of the day. They also have $1 soft ice cream cones, and reasonably priced blizzards that were deliciious.

We deep sea fished. We parasailed just a few hundred yards down the beach, and Ocean Walk guests get a discount. The boys rented scooters to ride around town and the beach and had a blast. Bubba Gumps is a neat place with good food. We also like the North Turn restaurant down in Ponce Inlet. It's right on the beach and the food is good. We also played putt putt golf. There's plenty to do in the area. Next time we're going to rent a pontoon boat and go down the river.

Check-in did take a while, and a few times the parking garage was over full, so people were parking in non-parking spots.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend this resort for active families that like a lot of activity and want to be in the center of all the action. I'd recommend it over Adam's Mark, which is next door. But if you want a less crowded, more laid back atmosphere, I'd pick something in Ormond Beach or Daytona Beach Shores. This truly is a full service resort with all the bells and whistles, beautiful rooms, and the kitchens and washers and dryers are big pluses.

• Stayed: July 2005