“Not that great!” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Round Lake, Illinois
“Not that great!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2005

We just returned from this resort...first of all do not make your reservations with the 800 number. I called on 3 different occasions with various questions prior to booking and was hung up on twice when I said I was not ready to book at that particular time. I found the representatives to be very rude! I finally booked thru a timeshare owner and got a great deal on a 3 bd 2 ba in the north tower. So, now with the resort itself.... if you are looking for a lot of action than this is the resort for you. If you are wanting something a little quieter and less crowded, do not stay here. The pool area is packed! We had an oceanfront room and at 8:30 a.m. I would look down at the pool area and most of the chairs were already taken. We did the beach the entire time and then hit the pool after 5 when it started to clear out. Also, the pool area is in the shade by 2:00 so if you want some sun you will need to move to the beach. The resort had a horrible odor. It seemed like they needed to use a lot of fragerance in order to mask an already existing odor problem. The other thing I didn't like is that in the master bedroom you only have a window (does not open) so you cannot lie in bed at night listening to the ocean. The room itself was ok. We had come from a very nice resort in Cape Canaveral so it was difficult to go to this resort. The beach is ok. The sand is brownish/red not your nice white sand. They have miniture golf (inside). It is not anything great but something to do at night. It is too bad they did not put it outside though, being indoors, coming from Chicago, was the last thing I wanted to do. Now, for a few of the positives, there is a lifeguard in the general vicinity of the resort and that was comforting to me since I have 3 small children. Trust me the lifequards stayed busy pulling people in from the rip currents. The boardwalk shops were nice to go to at night. We made "Coldstone Creamery" our treat at night. Hope this helps and believe me I did a lot of research and reading and wish I would have listened to the comments because most of the negatives posted are true.

• Stayed May 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Kristen0599

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2005

We went to Ocean Walk the 3rd week in April 2005. Check-in was fairly quick and they had concierge to help us bring our bags to the room. There was a parking garage on site.
The room was a 1 bedroom suite with a queen size sleeper sofa, full kitchen, living room, bathroom and ocean view. It was roomy and comfortable. It was great that I could cook breakfast and dinner in the room to save money, then we could splurge more at lunch when we went sightseeing.
The resort offered daily activities for kids (and teens) ranging from sandcastle building, various crafts (for a nominal fee) to karaoke that was all supervised by Ocean Walk staff. They had plenty for the kids to do to keep busy and for a fee, parents could get away one night during the week to spend alone while their kids were cared for.
The pool area was great, though one of the pools was unavailable due to some repairs, but there was still the kiddie pool, lazy river and other large pool, not to mention the indoor pools and the HOT TUB (which was heaven!) And you could walk right down the steps from the ool onto the beach.
The Main St. Pier was a quick walk from the hotel (which is conveniently located next to Ocean Walk Village for shopping.
Overall, it was an amazing vacation and we will definitely be visiting Ocean Walk again and recommending it to our friends and family!

28 Thank ctrose14
FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2005

Myself and my husband first stayed here in Jan 04. It was wonderful, not one complaint. The room was superior, nice lounge. We didn't have to worry about the crowds due to the time of year. Our second stay was in July 2004 with our 2 children. We were arriving separately due to the fact I was just returning from Iraq. The room was paid for in cash including a cash deposit. After I waited in a very short line for almost 30 minutes, I was rudely greated by the staff. No greating what so ever. All she said was I need your credit card. I explained to her everything was previously paid for including the deposit. I need it for identification. I explained I would give her any picture ID she needed but she didn't need my credit card for identification. After that went on for some time the manager stepped in, needless to say I did not have to give my credit card. This was after a 20 minute dispute. We were supposed to have an OF room but didn't. Everytime we returned to our room, or to the parking garage for that matter the keys didn't work. One time I was by myself and had to go back in to the lobby so the could give me a new key. I was in there no more that a minute when the security guard came in screaming that I needed to move my car. Even though there were several other cars out there, I was not blocking the flow of traffic. I asked were can I move it to? His response was I don't care just move it. There were teenagers in the pool after 11pm practically having sex and drinking in the pool; cursing up a storm. There were no remotes for ANY of the 3 TV's in the room and when we requested them they said they should be in there and couldn't give us any. Parking was atrocious. Before arriving we had informed them we would have 2 cars, they said it wasn't a problem. It sure wasn't for them. We had to park our 2nd vehicle at the public garage and pay 15 dollars a day. There "food court" is the worst. You are better off going to 7-11. I have been treated better at a Super 8 than I had been treated here. Although this hotel is beautiful I would never stay here again. There are other very nice hotels in the general vicinity (Plaza Resort and Spa) that are much more enjoyable to stay at. I understand that dealing with people all day long can get frustrating, I myself work at a major international airport. So i know what it is like. I believe in customer service and it doesn't exist here.

• Stayed July 2004
9 Thank Laura J

Travelers are raving about these Daytona Beach hotels

Daytona Beach, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2005

There were six in my party; me and my 4 yr old daughter; my sister and her husband and their 2 kids, aged 14 and 15. We stayed April 17-24. Arrived at the resort earlier than the 4:00 check in time, but had no problem and in 5 minutes we were done. Allison waited on us and was extremely pleasant. We were given enough room keys for everyone, pool passes/armbands and even requested a visitor pass for the parking garage and got one. Incidentally, we reserved from a condo/vacation rental place from a private owner and got a steal of a deal. The resort was way more than we expected. By far the nicest place on the beach. I live here and have been through my share of Daytona area hotels and resorts. In my opinion there is no reason to go anywhere else when you've already been to the best. We rented a 3 BR; 2 BA in the north tower on the 13th floor. Great view, great accommodations. The master bedroom had a king bed with a huge bathroom that had a jacuzzi tub and a shower with a glass door. Just huge. The second bedroom had a king bed and the third had two full sized beds. The 2nd bathroom was very large with a tub/shower. Units are equipped with blowdryers, blender, toaster, micro, coffee pot, TV's in every room, alarm clock/radio's a stereo, dishes, pots, pans, silver, glasses; everything imaginable. You do not need to bring anything. Dishwasher detergent, palmolive and laundry detergent is also included, as well as bath and pool towels of all shapes and sizes. Room was touched up midway through the week, but that was OK for us and even an added surprise. The pools are wonderful, the activities, superb; game room, gym, indoor pools, computer rooms, one for kids; one for grown ups. Pool tables, ping pong tables, indoor mini golf...I could go on and on. You will not be disappointed. Please email me with any questions as I think I'm a good judge.

11 Thank SueN0724
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2005

I read a lot about the hotel/ resort online and was very excited to book a room. I called the reservations number and after holding 9 minutes I was disconnected. So I called back, this time I held for 15 minutes, but I did speak to a man, who was very, very rude! I asked him the rate on the hotel for a 1 bedroom for Apr 24-30th. He told me he did not have a 1 bedroom for that time so I asked him about a 2 bedroom. He quoted me $229.00 a night. I told him I had seen online you have a spring fling special for this time and asked him if I could get that rate. He then rudely asked me if I was planning on booking the room right them because if not it was not worth his time? I told him I was comparing rates to other hotels and needed the rate to give to my husband. He told me again he was not going to give me a rate unless I wanted to book right then. I asked him why did he not want to rent me a room and he then HUNG UP ON ME! So I called back for the third time. This time I held 23 minutes and was again disconnected. I am so disappointed in the service I received. They seem to have a nice resort that offers many amenities but I do not know anyone who wants to stay somewhere on their vacation that has such rude employees and bad customer service so I will not be staying at this resort and will not recommend it to any of my friends until this problem is corrected.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Grand Rapids
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2005

We stayed from 4/1 to 4/8/05. We had 2 bedroom ocean view that faced the Ocean Walk Center and had a great view of the ocean and bandshell. We brought our two teens and they each brought a friend. Two boys age 17 and two girls age 15. They loved the place. were never bored and met many other teens. I have heard the complaints about the pool, but the kids went down there every morning at about 9 or 9:30 and they found chairs. My husband and I would arrive at 11:00 and found chairs together only 1 day - so we went to beach, which was more fun anyway - we love to people watch and there is so much more to see. Rental of 2 chairs, and umbrella and a table was $25 a day - good deal if you didn't bring your own. We only rented one day. The other times we would walk the beach or swim or sit by the ocean in our chairs and periodically check the pool area. We found chairs each day eventually and every day sat by the pool for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. By 3 pm the entire pool area is shade. The nice thing about the pool is the DJ playing music and the bartender service. But nothing beats the sound of ocean waves. The kids loved the pool area and the lazy river during the day - every night they went to one of the 3 hot tubs. There is an indoor Mini-golf course, an internet room(1/2 hour limit), a game room, and an arcade. They also hung out at the Ocean Front Center and at the bandshell area as there was always something going on. (battle of the bands, Car Stereo contest, National Cheerleading comp.) One word of advice. The kids had to stay on the ocean front areas in the one mile stretch of the resort. The street side appeared a little risky at times especially during the car stereo show and we walked with them when they wanted to explore. We went out to eat at Adobe Gilas (not impressed) Bubba Gump (what a great time), Johnny Rockets (fun, but pricey for what you get - punch in the song RESPECT on the little table jukebox and see the staff dance for you!) Inlet Harbor (outside casual area so much to see!) . There is a Publix grocery nearby and we bought all the food we needed for breakfast and lunches. We got a free roll a way bed upon request and any request that I had of housekeeping was met promptly.
The one negative was the elevators. A bit of advice, if one stops get on. Don't worry about up or down. The wait could be very long - many times the elevator door would open and it was full. We went there with the intent to have fun and not sweat the small stuff so it was great time!

12 Thank king_mom
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2005

My aunt decided to take my grandmother and I here for a little getaway. She had made online reservations and had all of the papers with her. We arrived at the hotel and there my aunt was greeted with unacceptable service. I am a Rosen College of Hospitality Major at UCF so no I am not being unreasonable. My aunt said that she was here to check in and Nicolle could not find the reservations in the computer. My aunt handed her the papers as proof and this girl had the nerve to say that because it wasn't in the computer we did not have reservations where if she were a good provider she should have just gotten her manager to address the issue leaving that attitude out. She went off in a fussy manner to find her manager who then took care of the situation after waiting for about 15 minutes(we checked in around 10pm and it was not busy). Then she said in a snide manner "Enjoy your stay" with a smirk. I went down to the desk the next day and spoke with a manager who said they would contact me when the have investigated the situation yet they never did. Another thing that dissapointed me was the wheelchair lift to the Ocean Walk Shoppes. It is locked off and you are supposed to call a number to get a security guard to operate it yet there are no phones nearby(I looked). Thankfully I had my cell phone with me but imagine someone who doesn't have one... The rooms were nice but we had a handicap access room and there was a door to another room and it would not lock so on our second night the actual guests of that room came into ours which had me anxious the rest of the trip. Their welcome breakfast was ridiculous. They clearly do not anticipate guests. They ran out of food before the even even started and my aunt and I had to stand next to the wall. Thankfully my grandmother had her wheelchair with her.

• Stayed December 2004