“The good, the bad” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 102 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
“The good, the bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2004

Good...very nice room. Spacious, well equiped, nicely decorated, and clean. The staff I dealt with were all very competent and professional.
Bad...long check-in, over an hour. No beach chairs, you have to rent for $25 a day. Very hard to get a chair at the outdoor pool area.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2004

We just returned from a 4 night stay and couldn't have been happier. We purchased our stay from an owner on eBay. It was in the new north tower and it was wonderful. We were on the 9th floor and our unit looked directly into the condos across the alley, however we could see the ocean to the right and still hear the waves at night. This particular unit did not have the A & B lockoff mentioned in other reviews, it was a 2 bedroom & 2 bath with 1 kitchen and 1 living room.

The beach was beautiful, uncrowded, and just a few steps beyond the pooldeck. The pools (2 outside and 2 inside) and lazy river are perfect and relaxing. Check in was quick, sales pitches were in the form of a letter on the door daily (not a big deal), and check-out was smooth as well. They have a computer lounge with 3 terminals, fitness classes, and lots of activities that are free of charge. The gift shop is not overpriced, as I figured it would be and the arcade was well equiped as well.

I have just a couple of somewhat negative remarks - there was sometimes a small wait for the elevators (the longest, probably 10 mins., when a storm blew in and the beach and pool deck were quickly closed causing everyone to need an elevator at the same time...the pool deck fills early so get there early if you want a chair...the parking garage can fill quickly in the evening (we never had a problem finding a spot, but there were several cars parked in non-spaces by the morning.) Finally, the resort is missing huge profit potential by not having an onsite convenience or grocery store (a large grocery is nearby.) If there would have been one there we would have used it even if it was a little more expensive.

The decor and facilities are beautiful and we had a great time. We are even looking into ownership, which we have NEVER considered before. It was great having enough room for the family to stretch out without fighting for space, TV time, or privacy. We really enjoyed our time there and look forward to returning soon.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Clarksville, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2004

My family and I just returned from a weeks stay at the Oceanwalk. We had a great time. This is a wonderful resort especially for families. Tons of activities for everyone. The unit we stayed in was a three bedroom deluxe unit in the North Tower. It was great! Rooms were large, plenty of space for everyone. Full Kitchen had everything you needed, every room had a television. We had a balcony directly over the pool area with a fantastic oceanfront view. Staying here you had the luxury of a condominium plus the amenities of staying in a resort hotel.
My only complaint would have to be getting a chair at the pool. In order to get a chair you would have to get up very early to put your towels out. Signs were posted saying this was not allowed, however was not enforced by the hotel. After the first couple of days, we gave in and played the game.

The beach was very clean and the ocean wonderful. My experience with the staff was good, no problems. We were there during a very busy time, June 26 - July 3, but didn't have any problems. This resort is very active, so if you are looking for a very quiet area you might not want to go. I had four teenagers so they had a blast with all there was for them to do. Oceanwalk shoppes were great and the pier also.
I made a point of calling ahead to make sure of what kind of room I was getting because I had read other reviews. Was NOT dissappointed, it was a very enjoyable vacation and hope to be able to go back.

1 Thank JDK4132
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2004

You don't always get what you pay for! I called to confirm reservations 3 different times and was assured I was getting this great brand new 1 bedroom condo. NOT!! Management couldn't care less. Sorry but all our rooms are full!! What a mess and we weren't the only ones dissapointed. The condo was very dirty and had big stains on the carpet. Brown gunk all over the kitchen wall, chairs, and mold in the bath. I was so dissapointed.

As far as the pool deck goes that was great. Wonderful pools and great beach. Bad customer service. I begged for towels and never did get them so I had to wash the ones we had and I couldn't find anyone in housekeeping that speaks English. I do not have any desire to stay here again especially at these prices. Check-in don't be in any hurry and have plenty of other activities to do while you wait for your room. Some other people I spoke with had a great room. I guess it's the luck of the draw. Good Luck!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Daytona Beach hotels

Peachtree City, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2004

For Daytona Beach this is one of the best. We had a great 1 bedroom ocean front room. The full fridge made breakfast and lunch very convient. My biggest complaint is that chairs by the pool were very hard to get. I don't know what time people got up to save the chairs but we would go down at 7:00am and there would not be a chair to be found. This should be stopped. Also the pool is in the shade by 3pm but I went there for the beach anyway. I would recommend this hotel for a Daytona stay. But would say that there are alot better places to go than Daytona Beach.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2004

Called ahead of time to check on rates, was quoted a price, they said come on in there are plenty of rooms at that rate. Upon arriving there were no such rates and the rates rose by $100 per night. Needless to say I was a little upset, asked for the manager, manager informed me there was nothing he could do. He offered no comprimise, no apoligies, nothing. I would have still stayed there had he at least apoligised that the info I rec'd came from the marketing company, not the hotel directly. I've stayed there before and the experience was nice. However since I received nothing resembling service, I left and stayed at a wonderful hotel Next door. I will not return to Ocean Walk. Seems silly that they would leave a room empty when they had a paying customer offering.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member