“Fantastic Resort Hotel”

Wyndham Ocean Walk
Ranked #21 of 74 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 26, 2014

If you travel to Daytona Beach, this hotel is where you want to be. Absolutely gorgeous, great location, right next to Ocean Walk shops, restaurants and boardwalk. This is a five-star!! We had a 2 room condo for three days for 4 people...Unbelievable large condo. Way bigger than our condo at home, Would trade it any day. We requested an ocean view or front, we didn't get that but made the best of it. Every night there were ambulance, police, fire whistles blowing. Very noisy on the street side to sit out on the balcony..we were on the 17th floor so not too bad.

Room Tip: Try to get at least an ocean "view" - the street side of the hotel is quite noisy outside...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,244)

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I rented two different, 2 bedroom condo's, Iin order to get the 8 days I wanted. THESE original two units WERE NICE. The third unit was the problem. The lack of help was the problem. I called the front desk to recheck on the reservations before arriving ,.. My name had been misspelled. It took a couple days to find the reservations. "Thank God I checked."
On arriving in Daytona I called to check if the condo was ready and was told that it had "not been cleaned yet". This call was after the promised 4 pm check in time. A call to the owner assured me that the unit was ready and that the front desk was wrong. Turns out, "the The front desk is wrong was a recurrent theme"...
After checking in I decided that the unit was a little tight for my family, 6 adults, a 2 y/o and my granddaughter a 7 wk old infant (portacribs).. I went to the front desk and rented a additional one bedroom unit, I wanted a king bed for my wife and myself.. (over 700 dollars for 2 nights)....Problem is that this unit had been FLOODED by a broken toilet earlier that day... The unit had been REPAINTED less than 3 hrs before we checked in. It STUNK like Hell. I called the front desk and was told the only other King Room had just been rented.
I asked for the manager to call me and I gave my cell phone number. We opened the patio door, turned on every fan (including the bathroom vent.) and left the room. We returned around midnight and the unit still STUNK, but we weren't going to wake the 2 babies. The manager had NOT called " THE ROOM'S PHONE WAS OUT OF SERVICE." Please see the picture of the light with the exposed wires that flashed when you touched it and see how we had to tie the drapes together to stop the hallway lights from FLOODING THE ROOM WITH LIGHT. I was told that part of the shade was missing. I woke in the am with a headache.
OK, enough with the small stuff...?? ? 750 dollars for a room that was not habitable.
The next day we checked out of the 2 bedroom condo and were to check into a WORLDMARK two bedroom unit. I had asked and was told "since this was a simple ROOM CHANGE". our new suite WOULD BE the FIRST ROOM CLEANED. It would be available as soon as they could clean it after the noon check out. . I again EXPLAINED THAT THE 7 WEEK OLD BABY AND THE 2 year OLD WOULD NEED THEIR NAPS. I was assured this would not be a problem. I was assured this not only at check in, but by phone, prior to making these reservations.. I stood in line at 1 pm on Saturday, and was told "not ready", 2pm " not ready" 3pm "not ready" 4 still "not ready" .
At 5 :30pm I was finally given a key (only after starting to lose my temper) and went to the room, it was nice, IT DID NOT SMELL. But, the maid was still working. Yes we had already given up and set up the cribs in the "other tower" . The front desk staff were nice. They joked that I had spent more time at the front desk than at the pool. Unfortunately, this was not funny, it was just true. I spent the first day of my vacation at the front desk.
We had planned for a family get together, an early dinner, (to avoid the crowd and to keep the little ones on their schedule). By the time we finally got this room and got to the restaurant it was 6:30 and the "by that time" 1 1/2 hr wait was just too long. The Kids and grandkids went back to the room with DOGGIE BAGS..
I had been promised a discount on the first 2 nights. 9 days later and several calls I still have no idea what they are charging me for the unusable condo...... Several calls several trips to the front desk and still no answer.

FINAL CONDO was GREAT, I'm not saying to avoid this place. Just FRONT DESK, CONFUSION was TERRIBLE... NO PROBLEMS ONCE WE GOT INTO THE FINAL CONDO.. i have stayed at a number of Wyndhams in the past and have always really enjoyed them. The first 2 nights were just NOT up to Wyndham's standards... Or any ones any ones standards for that matter.

Room Tip: OCEAN FRONT ROOMS ARE THE BEST, BUT THE SIDE OCEAN VIEW WERE FINE. WE BOOKED 2 UNITS FROM PRIVATE I...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank fred060901
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Ocean Walk, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Hi Fred,

We are extremely disappointed in what you went through during the first two days of your vacation. Like you mentioned, this is not Wyndham standards and we know this negatively affected your vacation. We realize you spent a decent amount of money to come and stay with us. It’s important to us that you get the full value of what you paid for during this trip. Our management staff will be following up on your inquiries regarding a reservation discount for the first two nights. We hope these problems you encountered do not discourage you from coming back to visit.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

We stayed at the Wyndham Ocean Walk in Daytona Beach the last week of Feb & the 1st week of Mar 2014. We knew when Bikers Week was & made sure we were out of Daytona Beach before their main events unfolded. We actually enjoyed the Bikers Week set up on several streets & the biker’s arrival at several hundred more each day toward the end of our stay. Interesting folks & some beautiful bikes, but when there are thousands of them, the noise can be overwhelming. Ocean Walk is a beautiful resort right on the beach & boardwalk – great for ocean viewing, beaching, walking, etc. There are 2 outdoor pools overlooking the ocean with a lazy river & very nice pool bar – we didn’t spend much time at the pools because the weather was a tad cool, but a lot of other braver folks including little kids were at the pool.
The room was very nice & clean & ours had the ocean front view with a very nice balcony for ocean viewing & sipping a little scotch or glass of wine. The staff was pleasant & helpful. We had free Wi-FI & had no trouble with it. The resort is less than 10 minutes from the Daytona Beach Airport & there are lots of restaurants, grocery stores, pharmacies, etc in the area, so there isn’t much hassle associated with just enjoying the place. We will most definitely go back to the Wyndham Ocean Walk – but not during Bikers Week.

Room Tip: Ocean Front rooms are fabulous. Avoid Bikers Week.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

I had a room booked to compete in an event across the street. The hotel lost the reservation and said the name was probably not spelled correctly. I spent over an hour there waiting for the manager to be told there is nothing they can do without the right spelling. The other rooms were booked. It was terrible.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jennifer R
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Ocean Walk, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

Hi Jennifer,

We cannot apologize enough for the major inconvenience you experienced regarding your reservation. We strongly encourage the verification of any reservation with the booking company prior to check-in to avoid any similar situations. Our management staff will be reviewing the issue that occurred to ensure this does not happen again. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Stayed Feb 28 to Mar 7th. Very nice resort on the beach. Can walk for miles when the tide is right. Room was very nice but furniture was uncomfortable. Balcony had partial view of ocean and partial view of city. Never had any sun on the balcony and doors looked right into the doors of the resort beside. Even though it was Spring Break for some, everyone was very well behaved and we had no trouble with noise. Pool was warm but by about 2 p.m. at this time of year it is shaded. Only complaint I had was smokers at the pool. People need to have consideration for others. We were in the timeshare units and we arrived on a Friday and left on a Friday and never had anyone come to replenish any supplies or change towels but when we went to the front desk they supplied us with what we needed. Apparently you have to stay longer than 8 days to get any service in your room??? Overall I would return to this location again. Very pleasant, relaxing holiday and that is what we went for.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We stayed at this hotel during Bikers Week in Daytona Beach. The room was clean for the most part.The pools were also very nice, great for kids and an excellent way to relax and cool off, yet they were only really an optimal choice for visits in the morning, because the day would wear on, the pools would become shadowed (and therefore a bit chilly) because of the hotel's height. Its location on the beach made it easily accessible. Besides the pool though there were a lot of activities for kids (eg., mini golf, tye-dye t-shirt making, milk sand stone making, an arcade, etc.). There were also plenty of options for entertainment and restaurants around. However, the Wi-FI accessibility was extremely limited, and about 90% of the time we received absolutely no Wi-Fi. The only place during these times that we could go to receive internet was the main lobby. In our particular case the shower also resembled more of a shower stall in a public swimming pool than a regular shower. The parking towers were also completely filled, however this can be related in part to the fact that it was Bikers Week. The front desk staff, when consulted about changing rooms, were not helpful. The phones in the room were also not working, and when asked to make a brief phone call to a long distance number to pass a message to another guest at the hotel, the front desk simply shrugged us off. Overall, this hotel was fairly good, minus the horrible Wi-Fi and filled parking towers. If you're planning to visit this hotel, make sure it is NOT during Bikers Week. Will definitely never be staying there again during Bikers Week, as it makes for a very unpleasant stay.

Room Tip: Get the room facing the ocean on the south side. Also, do NOT go during Bikers Week.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank M P
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Ocean Walk, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

We are sorry to hear that your internet needs were not met. As you know we have many properties which house a large amount of guests and their wireless devices. We are working to improve this feature; however this may take some time. We also apologize for the issues you encountered with parking due to Bikers Week. This time of the year can be a bit hectic as there are many guests onsite. On a positive note, we are so happy your kids enjoyed the pool and many of the activities available. We hope your experience does not discourage any future visits to our resort. We value your feedback and appreciate you reaching out.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel for five years in a row during biketoberfest motorcycle week.
The positive..world famous beach, condo accommodations full kitchen ,living room ,washer dryer.
Very close to Main Street .two pools one with water slide . Lazy river . Covered parking area .close to water park.
The negative. You have to rent beach chairs..no maid service..only a snack bar type restaurant on the premises. ( plenty of restaurants nearby ) . The pool has no sun in late afternoon due to the height of the building. They tell you whatever you want to hear when you make your reservation but when you get there you get what is available..and they are not always polite about it.
This is a timeshare owned operation. Customer service is not a priority.
I would stay here again . Knowing what I know I work around the negatives and enjoy the positives.

Room Tip: I always ask for oceanfront king. The oceanfront is guaranteed . I ask for a Low floor so I don...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple