“Don't sell yourself as a hotel!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Wyndham Ocean Walk
Ranked #31 of 102 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Elkridge, Maryland
“Don't sell yourself as a hotel!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

We were placed here as part of a conference. Very disappointed in the facility as a hotel for such groups. No housekeeping service, no deadbolts on guestroom doors and no real restaurant. For the amount we were charged per night ($169) compared to the other conference attendees at the Hilton ($179) we were grossly overcharged!

This would make a good time-share facility, but stop selling your place as a hotel and part of conference blocks with the convention center!

2 Thank Brian S
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Ocean Walk, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Hi Brian,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We are sorry to hear you were unsatisfied with the room and resort accommodations. Our goal is to make each guest feel at home with a kitchen and laundry. Because we have condo-style resorts, certain “hotel” amenities such as daily housekeeping and concierge do not exist. We strive to provide this information to the guest through our website, pre-arrival letter and confirmation letter. We apologize for any confusion and will work to better communicate this through additional channels in the future. We appreciate the information regarding the restaurant and lock features on the unit doors as we are always looking for ways to improve. We are sorry for your experience and greatly value your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pitts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a conference at the convention center and I only stayed at this hotel because the host hotel was full. I realize that each unit is individually owned, however none of the units had internet access and guests had to move to the lobby to get a signal, which was very disappointing. The unit seemed just blah and dreary. In fact my shower curtain had mildew on it and I had to ask twice to have that and some light bulbs replaced. When I asked if there was maid service because I needed additional towels, I was told I could wash them myself in the unit. Again disappointing. The fact that you had to provide a deposit for the pool towels was ridiculous, again Hilton provided them free of charge.

On the plus side the breakfast that I had in the cafeteria style restaurant area was very good. It wold have been nice to have a few more restaurant choices.

Upon checkout, I wanted to pay with a different credit card than I checked in with and was told I couldn't do that. I asked if the original card could be credited and the other card be charged and I was told no.

1 Thank poolgirl66
Springfield, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

I was here the last week of October 2013. Started out a little grossed out by the front desk agent who was sick and I assume her deep snorting was to keep ner nose from running. It probably would have been better to blow your nose as often as needed. (There was a lot of deep deep snorting.) She was nice enough and I was sick too during my stay for this conference, so I do understood her "pain" and I do feel a little bad saying this - but I would never have made that disgusting noise in front of a client. When I woke up my first morning there I started the shower to get the water warm. At least 15 minutes went by and it was still completely cold. I did not have time to deal with waiting for maintenance and not knowing if they would be able to make it a quick fix so I had to at least get started by washing my hair under this horribly cold water. Eventually I had to get in. Being sick made this experience even more miserable. By the time I was finishing the shower, it finally started getting a little warm. It took more than 25 minutes! I did call the hotel from the conference and explained what happened. They said maintenance would fix it. I know someone came to the room while I was out because they did bring me the blankets I requested. Also when I returned to the hotel late that evening there was a voice message from the staff saying they just wanted to make sure my issues were addressed. The next morning, it was cold water again! At least this time I knew it would eventually get warm. 27 minutes later it was finally warm enough to get in. By the way - the shower never got hot, but at least it eventually got comfortable. I stopped at the front desk on my way to the convention center to tell them it was still a problem. They said they would make sure maintenace took care of this. The third morning I had to catch an early flight. The cab was picking me up at 5:30am. Low and behold, cold water again. I told the front desk agents about this again when I checked out. I confirmed that I informed their staff of this problem every day and it continued to be a problem every single day. I did get a "sorry", but I'm not convinced it was sincere. There was no offer to do anything for me either. It would have been nice to be offered a bottle of water or cup of coffee for the ride to the airport.

Side note, I inquired about transportation to the airport the night before from the front desk. They were way off on the cost. Thank you for scheduling my cab to pick me up, but you should know the cost to the airport.

Room Tip: Avoid 501B if you plan to stay at this hotel. Otherwise, check out the shower before you unpack.
2 Thank Dawn B
Hi Dawn,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We are sorry to hear you had to spend even a minute of your vacation dealing with water temperature issues. Our goal is to have our resorts up to each guest’s standards and your feedback will help us to do so. We also appreciate the information regarding transportation costs to the airport. We will be sure to share your review with our staff to ensure these are not issues for future guests. Thanks so much for reaching out.

Travelers are raving about these Daytona Beach hotels

Lithonia, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

this hotel looked like a very cheap motel- when I checked in the floor in the room was dirty- the housekeeper said she did not clean because she did not have a vacuum cleaner to do it. the drapes were falling off the rod. ? All the shades on the lamps were hanging . How can you rent such shabby rooms.

1 Thank Carol M
Hi Carol,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We are sorry to hear you had to spend even a minute of your vacation dealing with unit cleanliness issues. Our goal is to have our resorts up to each guest’s standards and your feedback will help us to do so.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

You can't go wrong here. The beach is awesome and the afternoon breeze keeps the temps under control, even in August. Beach is great (world famous). Shopping is fun. Food? So many great places to eat in Daytona. Oh, and the poolside bar is a blast and has surprisingly great food.

Room Tip: Obviously beachside is better but the street isn't bad. There's always a lot of activity.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hi George,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We appreciate your kind words. We are glad you enjoyed your stay along with the poolside bar and food options. We look forward to your next visit.
Valrico, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed at the Daytona Beach Hilton Ocean Walk in June and while the hotel was beautiful, we felt the rooms were a little small for our little family of 3. So we decided for our next trip, we would stay somewhere that offered a little more room. The Wyndham Ocean Walk advertised 1 bedroom suites with a kitchen for a reasonable per night rate. So we decided to book. The room was in the South Tower (the North apparently is for Timeshare owners) and we stayed on the 4th floor. I do recommend that floor for convenience to the Shops and Restaurants of Ocean Walk. There was a large open EMPTY area adjacent to our rooms and we thought it odd to have such an open space with NOTHING filling it. The 4th floor in the North Tower has the same space, but it has a 9 hole Mini Golf course filling it's space. I would think it would be nice to have a Wifi Hotspot area, with Chairs, tables and maybe even couches for people who might not want to go to the Lobby to check email or use the internet.
Anyway, the kids area pool was awesome for my son, the water slide was NOT open while we were there, though I doubt my son was old enough to even go down it anyway. The indoor pools were NOT heated as advertised. One was as cold as the outdoor pool and the other, was about 78 degrees. The only saving grace was my 3 yr old could swim without the wind off the ocean freezing him out.
The room was decent, we had 2 dbl beds instead of a king. there was a DVD player in both the living room and the bedroom. That's a plus when you have kids. Coffee maker but not complimentary starter set. There was supposed to be dishes for 6. We had 1 wine glass, 2 water glasses, 3 juice glasses and 3 highball glasses. The attention to detail is missed here. There is potential for this to be a much nicer facility but needs a little TLC. I couldn't find a bottle of water after 8 pm. No vending machines on site, the bartender IGNORED me because he was to busy watching the college football game on at the bar. The restaurant was supposed to be open till 9 and it was closed on and off throughout the day.
Overall, would I stay here again? Probably not. I would try the Hilton for a larger room the next time.

Room Tip: NO ROOM SERVICE,NO VENDING MACHINES.4th floor in South Tower is the best to be close to the shops an...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback including some great suggestions. We are glad you enjoyed your unit space and that your kids enjoyed the pool area. We look forward to your next visit. We will look to use your helpful feedback to continue improving our property. Again, thanks for reach out.
Bellevue, Nebraska, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

The only shining light from this entire stay was a front desk agent named Val. Even though there were long lines at check in, she made a great impression and did not rush so she could move on to the next guest. A+, Gold Star for Val.

Other than that, the entire room was blah. I don't believe it has been updated since 90210 was on TV. The mattress was flat and hard. It was a king size bed, with 3 twin pillows. Really?

The entire staff for the towel program were incompetent. I have never met a more rude hospitality professtional then the lady working the towel desk. Each person kept track of the towel differently. I am keeping an eye out on my credit card to make sure I don't receive additional charges for towels.

Location to the beach was easy.

1 Thank Amanda H