“Great for families”

Wyndham Ocean Walk
Ranked #20 of 74 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I enjoyed the atmosphere, being right on the part of Daytona Beach where no cars are cruising on the beach and I loved that my teenagers stayed busy and entertained the whole time. The accommodations were very nice and very well maintained.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony with beach view, higher level the better for the nice view of the ocean. On Satur...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,252)

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed this past Labor Day weekend 8/30-9/1. We read the reviews are were a bit skeptical. We arrived at the hotel around 10:45am. We wanted to check in early, not thinking that we would get into a room, but Taylor at the front desk was wonderful. She got us right into our room. We had a one bedroom deluxe King Suite. The room was great. However; we had tube televisions (major con). Also, there was mold around the shower stall. We needed extra pillows and sheets. I called the front desk and they brought them in about 10 minutes. The location was prime and the pool area and beach were great! The wait for the elevator was long at times. We were on the 24th floor. The parking in the North tower was pretty bad. We couldn't take the car out at all. We didn't want to lose our spot. Overall, we would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Very large, almost overwhelming property. It is definitely a place to take the kids or grand kids. The resort itself offers so much you don't even have to leave. Just go to the 4th floor and use the overhead walkways to shops and eateries. However, there are many places to eat within walking distance. The beach is beautiful, but very crowded. The beach set ups are very close together. If you require a little privacy you will have to walk down closer to the pier. fireworks at the pier on Saturday night, a little band by the pool one night, free popcorn, activities too many too count. All in all a good trip although it was just me and my husband. Wish we would have brought the grand kids. I gave them only 4 stars because our unit was not very clean,patio chairs too dirty to sit in and cigarette ashes everywhere. We do not smoke. So judge for yourself.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We have stayed here a few times since we are owners and always have a great time! Yes, there are times when the elevators are really full...so don't try to use them between 3 and 5 when check-in is going on... Also, they only allow you ONE PARKING SPACE per condo and the garage across the street is $20 a day so plan ahead. About the pool area: the line for pool deck seating starts forming before 8am, so get in line with them so you get a seat...but remember you cannot put your stuff down and walk away..like off to the beach...security will bag your things up if you are gone more than 30 minutes... And there are a rude few that will move your things or take your towel (if you are using the resort towels, keep them close or you may have to pay for towels not returned). These three tips should help make your stay better. Definately enjoy happy hour at the Mai Tai bar next door..good food and drink prices. For groceries I have found that Walmart is cheapest... Do your self a favor and buy toilet paper there were 10 people in our rooms. and housekeeping is not always available to re-stock... Start following Groupons for the area a few months before you go..you may find a fun activity at a low fee.. The pier area is fun for kids..street musicians, magicians and carnival rides and food. Hope you have a great time!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This hotel came highly recommended from a few of my friends, so I decided to book a weekend trip there for my birthday. (If the kids are happy, momma is happy!) The price was a bit steep for me, but we dealt with it. The check-in was easy, but since we got there after 9pm, we couldn't get our wristbands to go in the pools until 9am. We decided to use that time to walk around and get acquainted with the property so we could relax at the pools in the morning. Our room was nice, but needed to be swept and cleaned. We were tired and didn't feel like going down 14 floors to the front desk, so we cleaned it ourselves. The trash can was broken, there wasn't any direction or signage for the recycle bin (only the trash chute), and the guy at the front desk was rather condescending when I asked about check-out. Those are my only negative comments. There is so much to do in and around the hotel that we didn't have to drive anywhere for anything! Awesome! The pools were amazing, the kids had a blast, and my husband & I were able to relax on the lounge chairs with a drink from the bar! I would definitely stay here again, but might wait until the dates for my in-laws timeshare to become available b/c $300 for a weekend was a bit much. Other than that, it was great!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My family and I returned to the Ocean Walk as our main hotel for our recent Daytona vacation. This is the third visit for us, and I have reviewed it once previously.

Unfortunately, the place has seen its better days.

Check-in went relatively smoothly, even for the time of day. However, we were originally put on the 16th floor, a bit too high for our tastes. We requested and received a room change.

The room we got, however, was well under the standard of cleanliness that we've come to expect from Wyndham properties. The carpets in our room were a little threadbare, hadn't been vacuumed and were pretty close to filthy; there were crumbs all over the dining table and counters, and bits of food on top of the fridge. The shower in the master bath had visible mildew. We called the front desk, and in about twenty minutes we had an on-call cleaning team taking care of the floors, counters and other areas. (I say on-call, as we were informed that the regular housekeepers had already left for the day.)

We noticed a few days later that the pool attendants (staff and security) were somewhat inconsistent in enforcing pool rules, most notably regarding the "lazy river" water feature. One security member forced everyone in the lazy river to be on floats one day; later that same day, another member didn't even turn his head.

The "Turtle's Nest" poolside bar and grill was only serving drinks the entire week-- overpriced, weak drinks at that.

Parking is just about as bad as it ever was.
PRO TIP: If you're in the North tower, make sure to return from off-resort attractions and restaurants EARLY, as the North parking garage fills up quickly.

The location of the resort is now its only shining aspect. Although service overall wasn't bad, we might consider other accommodations on future trips to the area.

Room Tip: If you can afford the points, get a 3 bedroom; they're all oceanfront.
1  Thank dXTC
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Many negative reviews about this place, but it is a great vacation, with a few minor issues. We arrived at around 3 pm, completed our paperwork and was told the room would be ready by 4 pm if not sooner. So, we went for groceries and came back at 4:00 pm, room still not ready, by then I was like really ready to check in. The girl I had was a bit rude and said "Check in starts at 4 and it is just 4:01, ok, does that mean check out starts at 11 and I have till whenever to check out, I think not! Room was finally ready at 4:30. When I made the reservation, I asked for a king bed in the bedroom and was told, no problem. Got to the room and it had two doubles and the door lock was loose, we were able to get in without using the key. Went back to the desk, this time I got Todd, who was great. He moved our room to a one with a king and said he would have someone check the lock on the other room. Finally checked in, room was fine. Had an oceanfront balcony, small well stocked kitchen, pull out couch and bathroom and washer/dryer. All appliances worked well, looked new. Furniture was fine, bed comfy. These rooms are all individually owned, so that could be some of the problem with the rooms. Did not like that the balconies had approximately a one foot area on each side where you could see the other people next to you, not sure why they designed them that way. We did get asked to go on the time share tour, just told them no thanks, and it was no problem. We did not pay for housekeeping and it was fine. Washed our own bath towels and were allowed to exchange our beach towels once, since we were only using 4 and were allowed 8 for the week. There are trash chutes on each floor. We did run out of TP and trash bags, but the front desk gave us more no problem. I had packed my own extra detergent, there were 2 of the small boxes when we checked in, a roll or paper towels and plenty of dishwasher soap. Also, there were not any sheets for the pull out couch, I called the front desk and they sent them up right away. Loved the location here, you can walk to everything, yet we heard no outside noises at night and we were in the south tower. There was a band there on Friday and Saturday night at the band shell and fireworks on Saturday too, lots of entertainment right outside your door. The pool area is very nice, well maintained, and clean. It is busy, but that is usually the case at these places. I am an early riser and yes I get up and go get my pool chair, sorry, but if you don't you probably won't get one. Loved that there is no driving allowed on this stretch of beautiful beach.

Positives - Location, pool area, beach

Negatives - Lack of internet, not a smooth check-in, wished the balcony was totally private