“Fantastic visit, renting Unit 1909 from a condo owner”
Review of Wyndham Ocean Walk

Wyndham Ocean Walk
Ranked #21 of 73 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had a wonderful 4 night stay at the Ocean Walk Resort. We were there for Mother's Day Weekend, and the Thursday and Friday before were not crowded but we did see the crowds start to pick up on Saturday and we were told it was the beginning of the summer busy season.

Our 1 BR condo was very nice and modern, and Thursday and Friday we had no problems with finding chairs, tubes, etc though I can see where the resort could be too crowded to enjoy when at capacity.

We had forgotten some clothes in the closet and had to go back after we checked out and a security guard escorted me to the room. He said it was one of the nicest rooms he had seen at Ocean Walk by far. I don't believe Trip Advisor's policy allows for stating through whom I rented, however if you Google Ocean Walk unit 1909 you will be able to find it.

In addition to the resort itself, we loved the proximity (attached) to the Ocean Walk Shops. It made for really convenient dining choices, and there is also a movie theater in case you get rained out one night. There is also a very nice boardwalk that starts at Ocean Walk and goes down to the pier.

I would certainly stay here again, however I would do so prior to Mother's Day, when it tends to start getting crowded.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 18, 2013

I purchased a 4 night stay in a 3BR Deluxe Oceanfront condo via.... ebay! Sight unseen and happy to say, I was extremely pleased. Our room was indeed oceanfront with our balcony looking down on the vast pool area and beyond that the sandy beach and Atlantic Ocean. I wanted to take my 18 year old daughter and a friend or 2 for a short vacation. Since one of those friends was of the male variety a 2 bed hotel room wasn't going to cut it. So began my quest for affordable accommodations suitable for our group. There were some good deals on VBRO (Vacation Rentals By Owners) and HomeAway.com and the good thing about those sites is the properties are posted by the owners with detailed information, photos of the actual properties and guest reviews. I narrowed down the condos I was interested in and then came to TripAdvisor for reviews of the resorts or buildings in which those condos were physically located. One TripAdvisor reviewer for the Wyndham OW stated he'd gotten a good deal on ebay so that was the next site I searched and did I get lucky. As if custom made for us, this vacation was advertised for the exact dates of our trip. 3 BR 2 Bath Deluxe being offered until 9PM, option to bid on it or Buy it Now for $347. Well aware of what these condos were renting for, I quickly scanned the seller's reviews (all favorable) and went for it. King Master BR facing the ocean, 1 Queen BR1 and one with 2 double beds, double sleeper sofa (which we didn't need), sleeps 10 total. A bedroom for everyone with room to spare. There was a full kitchen, dining area and living room. TV's in all the BR's. Full set of dishes, pots and pans which appeared to be brand new, same for the towels. There was a washer & dryer. Condo was comfortable and clean. Like a hotel room, we were provided with a small shampoo, conditioner, lotion and mouthwash, coffee filters, and one package of coffee. Unlike a hotel room, there is no daily maid service and supplies are not replenished. *This applies to renting via ebay, or from owners. Renting via the resort itself may be different. Also, note not all the units are the same, but this is what we got.

Wi-Fi was sketchy. We got a signal in our South Tower 13th floor room approx 50% of the time.

We got 1 parking space in the ramp. There is a parking lot somewhere "across the street" for $16/day should you need another spot.

On site restaurant was being remodeled (closed) so there was no where in the building to get a cup of coffee or food which was a disappointment. Was told I could get a cup at a restaurant or Dunkin Donuts, both within a block. I prefer to have my cup before I step foot out the door in the morning. Wish they would have set up a coffee station in the lower lobby where you check out towels and can buy a soda or bottled water. I almost had to withhold 1 star for this!

Pools - in order to get a lounge chair at the pool you need to be down there by 8:30-9:00 to reserve one. Take your towels down and throw them over a chair. By 9:00/9:30 it will be too late. The chairs around the far side of the pool get the most sun in the afternoon.

We were entitled to 1 beach towel each. They don't allow an exchange for clean towel during your stay, you have to use your washer/dryer.

There is a poolside bar with cocktails, don't know about sodas but they do not sell bottled water. You have to get that in the lower lobby. The bar also sells hotdogs, hamburgers and french fries which you can also get from a truck right down on the beach where they have better/cheaper fries.

Elevators are slow with so many people using them. Be prepared to wait.

Every employee I encountered was very friendly and helpful. I reported 2 issues on our way out in the morning 2 different days and both had been resolved by the time we returned to room.

Property was clean and well maintained. I didn't have to look far to find an employee if I had a question or needed something. Security was always present in the pool area.

The location is great. Short walk to restaurants, coffee shops, tourist shops, the pier which houses Joe's Crab Shack, and a pizza place. There is a excellent taffy shop called Zeno's on Main Street near the pier that sells awesome fresh (nice and soft) taffy and carmel apples (yum). Additional restaurants and tourist shops on Main. If you drive, you'll prob have to pay for parking. Boardwalk has a few attractions such as food, ferris wheel, games. Then there's the Shoppes at Ocean Walk accessible via the 4th floor of North Tower. Not a lot of shoppes - souvenirs, beach wear, Starbucks, movie theater (Tuesday is the cheap tickets day but I forget the price) and also the Bubba Gump Shrimp restaurant which we dined at one night. Sat outside on a perfect night for it, and we enjoyed our meals. I would go again.

Check out the Wyndham OW resort web site for additional amenities as there are many.

1  Thank BuffaloKitty
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This was our first visit to this Wyndham property and we were very impressed. We were traveling with our friends and shared the unit. We had a two bedroom deluxe unit that was ocean front, on the 6th floor. The Daytona Beach boardwalk went from our resort down to the pier where Joe's Crab Shack was located. Cars could not drive on the beach in front of this property which was great and very safe for guests on the beach. There are two indoor pools for those who wish to stay out of the sun, a river pool to float (water was too chilly for us in May), a pool with a waterslid for children and another children's pool with water playground and the adult pool. There was also two outdoor hottubs. Unfortunately, the jets on one of them did not work during our stay there. Lots of activities for adults and children. We used the indoor minature golf course and the billiard room. Indoor gym was fairly small for size of facility. Security was very visibile outside which was good, as there is an opportuity for non residents to come in from the boardwalk. Guests are asked to wear plastic bracelets when in the pool area. Our only compliant outside was that residents would come down early in AM and lay out towels on the deck chairs and not come down for hours, as well as leaving their possessions on tables with umbrellas for hours without sitting there in the afternoon. Shade was at a premium. Policy is that if towels/possessions on the chairs are left unattended for more than 30 minutes, it would be removed but we did not see this happening while we were there. Inside the condo, it was very spacious for the four of us. Kitchen was very well stocked with dinnerware and utensils. There is a stacked washer/dryer. Beds in both bedrooms were very comfortable. Sofa and chairs in living area were fairly comfortable for rental units. Common areas such as hallway and lobby were very clean and well maintained. View from our balcony was great; saw dolphin several times, during the early morning. Only compliant about balcony on the 6th floor is that we were directly over the children's water playground pool and the noise from the fountains and splashing water was quite loud making it difficult for us to talk on the balcony while sitting there. They were turned off fairly early in the evening. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Check-in was a little slow on Sunday afternoon as there were only two staff working the check-in desk. Another line was opened eventually in the VIP check-in area for those of us still waiting in line. There are lots of places to walk to eat from the resort. Drug stores and grocery stores are fairly close as well. There is a movie theater next door. Tickets are $5 all day on Tuesdays! You can also rent lounge chairs and umbrella/table on the beach which we did one day and really enjoyed the breeze from the ocean and people watching on the beach! May is a little off season for beach resorts and a good time for adults to visit to avoid lots of children in the summer. However, it is a little chilly in the pools and for beach walking, even in Florida! Bring a lightweight jacket if visiting through May. We are time share owners, came to this faciity using points. This is a really nice time share facility and very spacious.

Room Tip: There are two towers. We were in the north tower, above the children's water playground. The h...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

This is our 3rd time staying at the Wydham Ocean Walk in Daytona Beach. We always stay as guests of my parents who are timeshare owners. This will be my first review of the property.

Pros
-location, location, location! Right on beautiful Daytona Beach.
-full kitchens in the unit
-washer/dryer in the unit
-wifi in unit
-2 indoor pools
-2 outdoor pools
-3 hot tubs
-water slide
-lazy river
-kids mini water park
-indoor mini golf
-arcade

Cons
-after check in, we were referred to another desk to get a welcome packet. There were two open lines, but the staff there told us they could only help non-owners. Ridiculous.
-salespeople pushing timeshares
-indoor bar and restaurant closed for our entire stay due to construction
-south tower pool closed for several hours one day due to construction
-wet paint on lobby walls
-slow/broken elevators
-at least 1 hot tub was out of commission during entire stay
-"heated" indoor pool was ice cold (north tower)
-mildew on shower curtain and 3 rusty places in bathtub
-beds not properly made on arrival. Comforters just thrown haphazardly on beds in all rooms
-new beach towel policy does not allow you to have one exchange during your stay. If you want clean towels, you must wash and dry them yourself.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I wrote a review of this resort on my RCI account webpage but for some strange reason it never got posted.First off (and to help any RCI exchangers) I paid for a "deluxe" 2 bedroom unit. According to their information I was to have 2 bedrooms facing the ocean. The unit I got was a handicapped unit ( for some strange reason- I never asked for one). Cabinet drawer fronts were missing, I had to kneel down to take a shower, and the dryer vent howled like a turbine 24/7. There was something wrong with it but the service guy said they all work like that> Really?? The balcony was absolutely filthy -bird poop all over and rotten old chairs I would throw out if I had my way. The absolute game ender for this resort for me was where they stuck us. We were as far from any of the amenities that you could get (they actually placed us at the end by the alleyway that had a band playing in the alleyway every nite until 2a.m. I was not happy ( we had our 2 grandchildren ages 6 months and 2 years) with us so you can imagine them not going to sleep because of the alleyway noise)and let the desk know but while the front desk people were polite (they did have somebody come up and clean the balcony) they basically resolved nothing. They did give me a sales pitch daily for there resort however, I told them first impressions to me are lasting impressions and would not come back...oh, I forgot, I the unit was ocean front but basically from our balcony we had a nice view of the roof of the pavilion that was right in front of us that isn't even on their property. I really felt that we were treated as second class. This resort seems to cater to the local weekend crowd more than families. not impressed at all! just a note to add on. The A/C in the room smelled very musty and myself, and 1 grandson developed lung infections that I still haven't been able to get rid of yet.

Room Tip: the "deluxe" rooms are anything but.it seems that RCI exchangers are given the older south...
1  Thank 23dman
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has everything! From a movie theater to a lazy river! When we first got there, it took a minute to figure out how to turn on the lights, but we figured it out. First of all it was amazing how large the room was! I was so surprised! Everything worked well and was very clean! This hotel is connected to the beach so you can go to the beach which was awesome! There is a waterslide and lazy river which was extremely fun. All the shoppes were nicely set up, but a little pricey. They have resturants on the hotel campus which is nice. Overall this is a EXTREMELY nice hotel! STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Beentheredonethat987
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We have been treated like Royalty!! From the moment we pulled up to the front of the building and the people directing us to the front door and controlling the cars that arrive, right down to the recreation folks. This place loves children and families! The activities start in the a.m. and go right on through the evening. We had a luau night Monday(no food, just fun) The adults had a Texas Hold 'em last night, wonderful things for the smaller children AT REASONABLE PRICES, like a Princess Parade where they do your little girls hair ect and dress them as princesses then present them to everyone...$10****, Pirate Treasure Hunt on and on on. The rooms are beautiful. Ours is a 2 bedroom Deluxe and it is huge. The view is spectacular! So far it has been great. We went to our Timeshare get together, which usually means being pressured to buy a "few more points" but it was even enjoyable and the gifts are great.. Glad we bought here a number of years ago. The 4 pools outside are great with water slides and Lazy River and now they have a water playground for the younger ones, then walk right down on the beach or Boardwalk. Come to Wyndham Ocean Walk Daytona! You won't be disappointed!!!(Don't forget the shopping.....huge Daytona Flea Market and Daytona Speedway!!!

Room Tip: we have had 1 bedroom on the hall and 2 bedroom deluxe. All are good but the 2 bedroom deluxe has vi...
1  Thank sonshinesherrie