“April Vacation 2008”

GreenLeadersSilver level
North Reading, MA
“April Vacation 2008”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2008

This was perfect for us. We have a 7 year old, 5 year old, 3 year old and 10 month old. All on a road trip from Massachusetts.

The pools were awesome, clean and warm.

Condo was great (two units side by side) with an oceanfront balcony.

Free parking in the garage.

The Ocean walk shoppes are also great, everything you need within walking distance.

I am not quite sure why this place gets such mixed reviews.

Stayed April 2008
4 Thank mnaylor69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Osceola, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2008

We just stayed at the Wyndham Ocean Walk for five nights and we had a great time there. I have been planning this trip for quite awhile and kept coming back here to read all the new reviews that were posted to see what I could find out about the resort since I had not stayed there before. After reading the reviews, I was very concerned and thought I had made a HUGE mistake to plan a family vacation at a place I didn't know much about.

We arrived at about noon and our room wasn't ready so we checked our luggage and went and did what we wanted and retrieved our luggage when we were able to check in (my parents also rented a condo and arrived at noon and their room was ready and they went right up, so yes they DO let you check in before 4:00pm if the room is ready). I was very nervous about the condo but there was no need to be. It was a VERY nice room. We rented a one bedroom condo and we were on the 15th floor. We ended up on the side of the building, overlooking the Ocean Walk shops and had a partial ocean view. It was perfectly fine with us. If you are not willing or able to pay the extra for the ocean front rooms then you need to be satisfied with the view you get and we were more than pleased with the room, ocean-front or not. Also, if you are on the street side of the hotel, you do have a water view of the Halifax River, which is very nice.

Our condo was very nicely furnished with modern furniture and a nice booth-like eating area in the dining room. We had a large bathroom with a jacuzzi tub and a separate shower that was huge. The bedroom was really nice sized and had a king sized bed. We were very pleased with how clean and nicely furnished and painted it was.

I don't know if some people don't understand that this is a condo, not a hotel but no....there is no maid service and it explains this in the directory if you take the time to read it. They are not going to come make your bed for you and give you clean towels. There is a washer/dryer in the unit and they give you two complimentary boxes or laundry detergent. It's a very small washer and we were able to do four loads of laundry with the two boxes of detergent we received, no problem. There was more than enough dishwasher detergent and liquid dish soap as well. I have no idea why anyone would need to go out and buy any themselves as I read in other reviews. I saw many people setting their trash out in the hallway for someone to take away and it sat there for a couple of days. I also read in the directory that you are to place it in the trash chute, which you walk right by to get to the elevators so we had no problem taking our trash and dropping it off and there were plenty of extra bags under the sink and also inside the bottom of the trash can.

I had read about the issues with waiting in line for longer than an hour to check in but when we got there, I probably waited 1-2 minutes to both check in and check out. We had no problems with that. We also had no problems with the elevators. I never waited any longer than 1-2 minutes for an elevator at the VERY MOST. Generally it was there within seconds after hitting the button. Also, I never saw anyone placing towels on chairs at the pool and then leaving. We were down there several times and never had a problem finding a chair and never really noticed any chairs sitting with towels on them. There are PARTS of the pool area that are shaded after 1:00pm but certainly not the entire pool area. I was specifically curious after reading that so I made a point of checking on it and yes, there were certain areas that were shaded but definitely not the entire pool area. I could still find sunny parts up until about 3:00pm when we were there. We felt the pool area was more than accomodating for the number of people there but I imagine it might be different during Spring Break and I avoid travelling during that time due to the number of people you have to deal with.

All in all, we had a wonderful time and would recommend this condo to anyone that asked. I thought the grounds were very nice, the staff was decent. Not OVERLY friendly but not rude either. There were several security guards around the building and in the pool area, which was nice to see. We would definitely stay at the Wyndham Ocean Walk if we are in the area again.

6 Thank DLPFIFF
Clarkston MI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2008

The Wyndham Ocean Walk gets a mixed review from our family. We were just there for a week with our almost 2 year old. Nice family atmosphere, right on the beach, nice kiddie pool area, restaurants and water park next door.

The pool area is large, but probably not quite big enough for the enormous resort. If half the people didn't go to beach there would be trouble. It was hard to get a chair if you didn't go out early. Of course we were out by 9:00am with our little guy. The pool is shaded by 1:00pm so it's best to do the pool in the morning and then move out to the beach in the afternoon.

We used a week of my in-laws time share vacation for our stay so it only cost us $150 for the week. Of course we were pleased for that price - but if we had paid more I'm not so sure... We had an okay 1 bedroom with a great view of the ocean, which was a bonus surprise. The units without a view looked terrible. Windows facing into the hallway that were beat by the sun all afternoon. Probably very loud too.

In room washer/ dryer was great - not sure if they all have that. Especially since you don't get any fresh towels for a week. I washed ours frequently at my own expense. We got two packets of laundry soap and when I called to get more I was told I had to go buy it. Also couldn't get anymore dishwasher soap, dish soap, paper towels, or garbage bags. I just took a trip to the dollar store down the road, but I was a little surprised by how rude housekeeping was when I called to ask.

Check in time if 4:00pm and we weren't allowed in a minute before that. You can park early though and use the pool and beach if you arrive earlier in the day. That was okay, but I did have a problem with check out time. It's a ten in the morning. At 9:30 my husband started taking luggage out to the car - he was surprised to find housekeeping standing outside with their cart ready to come in. They stood there and watched him make 2 trips to the car, then started beating on the door at 9:45. I was so surprised I didn't say anything at the time, but.... We didn't have much contact with staff members other than the rude housekeeping department. There were several security gaurds stationed throughout the resort that were friendly and did seem to be doing a good job of checking for wrist bands or hotel keys.

Seemed to have a strage mix of time share owners, hotel guests, and residents that lived there full time.

Overall good for families, but not very luxurious.

• Liked — Nice kiddie pool area/ family friendly
  • Disliked — shaded pool area most of day
1 Thank travelswithbrandon
florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2008

it was my daughters 16th birthday party weekend, we checked into the hotel on friday i booked it with daytonabeach. com they ask if i wanted a roll away bed i said see. we go to check in the check in time was 4:00 not 3:00 like i was told. i get to the hotel and was told there was no rollaway bed. so i had to leave and go buy an air bed. we got up to our room and the carpet was so wet from the shampooing it that i fell on the tile floor, no one at the hotel ask me if i was o.k. they just moved me one hour and 45 minutes later to another room. i had to go from the 16th floor down to the lobby 4 times because the keys did not work. so it was not a good start. i had to sleep on a air bed with my back hurting from the fell. i ask them if i could have a room with a pull out and i would pay, they said they did not have a room. which i could not understand that the hotel is big. so we will not go back. and the towels you get is all you get you can wash them and pay for it. the ice you have to pay for there is not ice machines.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — i got hurt and no one cared

Travelers are raving about these Daytona Beach hotels

naples
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2008

Two years ago a great stay - can't say the same today. 1 hr and 45 minutes in line to check in!! A full page of maintenance items that needed to be repaired on the first unit they put our 2 families in. The door lock that never worked with the room's keys to the point that maintenance was replacing the lock at 10:45pm. The next day a new unit - the alleged only one left - unfortunately someone on a prior visit had vomited on one of the bedroom's floors and they didn't clean the carpet to get the stench out. No one taking responsibility. The manager "on vacation" DURING SPRING BREAK????

From our view on the 23rd floor the pools are in dire need of power washing (at least we hope it was that and not brown algea).
Get to pool at 8:15am for the chaise chase as everyone places towels to hold their seat till their ready to come later.
Stand in line after line for the elevators.

Finally yes it was Daytona at Spring Break, but with the inside hallway next to the second bedroom window and partiers coming in until 4 am - no chance at sleep. This was a problem two years ago also and it wasn't Spring Break

• Liked — View of the ocean
  • Disliked — Vomit Smell
2 Thank tarara
Cincinnati,Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2008

We were at oceanwalk last week. The resort was nice, but the set-up of the resort was weird. The pool area was shaded by 1:30 each day. Also the 8;15 AM Towel run was the most hilarious thing I have ever seen at a resort. The people all line up like they are waiting for an amusent ride and when the guard lowers the chain they all run to the opposite side of the pool that stays in the sun the longest. I have been to many resorts and have never seen anything like this. The thing about the pool yes it is large but the resort is so big the pool area is not big enough it is way overly crowded around the pool. The Beach was great in front of the reosort it had all that you could want. The reosrt is close enough to walk everywhere which is nice. Also the things for the kids was nice also. The bar lounge downstairs is nice, they have 2for 1 from 5-8 everyday. The area aound the resort is about the only nice thing in Daytona the surrounding area even the boardwalk is way run down. Overall a nice time but probably choose someplace else the next time.

• Liked — Beachfront Location
  • Disliked — The pool area
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank hapyharris
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2008

I just wanted to say we stayed here after our week in Disney Saratoga and had some real Noise problems at Disney so we did not know what to expect being in Daytona March break.

I have to say WOW! .....
We pulled up and were greeted by Security who said yes we have you booked in the south tower,heres your parking card and you can turn around and park now.It was only 11am and we had arrived early,No problem he said.

The room was not ready as we expected because over 200 people just checked out but we could hit the beach and swim until then they told us, come back at 4pm.

We have to say WOW! again, beautiful pools(heated) and lazy river(not heated though) the pools were about 80 but the lazy river 70 or so.
The beach was beautiful, very very clean and lifeguards everywhere with police patol obvious(no drinking allowed).

We went back at 4pm to get our room and it was ready 1817 if you get a chance. Very nice 2 bedroom facing south with a side view.
The noise is moderate as it is the 18 th floor but you can hear the bars until 3 or 4 am ,Oh well it is not that loud.
The room was clean and huge with everything you need.
The stores were a little walk but tons of places to eat .
Try Bubby Gump shrimp ,it was great.

We had a great time but spent most of the days on the beach because the pool fills up fast (by 11am forget it) and the sun goes behind the building after about 3 pm so the beach is the place to be for sun as the pool is shadedby then.

We would go back for sure...Just stay on higher floors if you can as the bars can be loud and we heard a few people trying to move higher.

Oh, Security was outstanding....You needed an armband to get back from the beach and security was pretty tight about it as well.
They put up with very little and we felt really safe which was a bonus with 2 small kids.
Beach patrol same thing, we saw them swim out a few times to get kids out of the rip current...They don't take that well as you can get pulled out VERY fast they tell me.

Enjoy ,,, we did