“Tips if you stay here”

Wyndham Ocean Walk
Ranked #20 of 73 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 14, 2011

We stayed here on a saturday through a monday in July.
The Good- The hotel has nice finishes and the room we stayed in was clean, well designed and fairly up to date. I liked that it had a small kithcen as opposed to just being a hotle room. The pool is beautiful and there are lots of amenities such as beach towel service, kids activities, two indoor pools, a nice gym, snack bar at the pool, etc. Daytona also puts on a great fireworks display every friday night that you can see from your balcony.

The BAD- Its a timeshare and they will pressure you to buy a timeshare. They will run your check in credit card info to access your credit report and then offer you financing for the timeshare. Thinking of buiying a time share? Ask a realtor if thery really are a "great investment". I am very much opposed to buying them, but I love to rent from teh people that do own them. But back to the review....
Also, be preparred for a horrible check-in experience. Lines and waiting.

Other Guests- There were a lot of other guests. The pool and lazy river were so crowded that it made me not want to get in. This was likely due to us going at the most busy time of year- Im sure its probably not as crowded in the fall/winter. There were way more smokers than I am used to. I have a new baby, so I was not happy to be surrounded by smokers in the pool area. Daytona seems to be trying to move past thier "bike week" reputaiton and attract more families throught the year. The guests at the hotel were representative of this transition. It was not uncommon to see guests in the elevators with open containers in the evening, but no one seemed to be overindulging or acting in an offensive manner.

TIPS=
-If you book via a "third party" like orbitz or kayak or hotels.com be sure to confirm your reservation. There was a "glitch" in our reservation and if I had not called to confirm we would have gotten there and not had a room

-They say check-in is at 4, but the earlier you arrive the better and more likely you are to recieve the oceanfront you booked. You can "pre-check in" any time and then show you your ID in ANOTHER line after 4 to get your room key. I suggest waiting until 5 to get the key so the line dies down.

-When returning from the pool/beach, go down to the lower level and get on the elevators at the LL level. You will skip the wait on the main lobby level and not have to parade the lobby in your swim suit. Expect long waits at the elevator at check in.

- Get a great rate by booking your room through someone who owns a timeshare there. there are a bunch of timeshare rental sites where owners post. When we stayed they were asking $900 for a 2 bedroom for a week as a last minute deal. If you can go last minute, you might be able to get a deal.

Room Tip: Sublet from a timeshare owner
2  Thank designdivajenn
There are newer reviews for Wyndham Ocean Walk

Reviewed July 14, 2011

Overall the location was good, service at registration was very slow and parking was a nightmare..................don't know if we would return to this location!

1  Thank Lydia2525
Reviewed July 12, 2011

My family has been spending LAbor day weekend at Ocean Walk Resort for the past 6 or 7 years. We spend this time with 3 other families. A tradition that started 20 years ago. Our experience has always been pleasant. However when my family spent the July 4th weekend at Ocean Walk the experience was not as pleasant. Our checkin time was to be at 4:00pm but we were not able to get into our room until 5:30pm. The problem other than a inconvience was having to stand in the long checkin line 3 times to be told our room was not ready. We had my one year old granddaughter with us and we had no place for her to take a nap. On the other hand we were allowed to spend time at the pool and enjoy that and we were grateful for that. Also in the past there has been security supervision at the pool. This was absent and the "lazy river" was dangerous at times. There wre children and teen in the river without floatation tubes which made the ride somewhat less than relaxing. I felt that a small child was going to be ran over and injured and no one would know,

2  Thank FloridaTopDawg
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We have loved the Ocean Walk resort year after year. Now they are only interested in promoting their time share. They called early one morning and woke us up to see if we would attend the 9am time share presentation after telling them no upon check-in.They would not accommodate us in any way. For 6 weeks I tried to add a night to my existing reservation. They told me they had availability, but that I would have to book a new reservation and there would be a two night minimum so I could simply extend my reservation by one night. Check out is PROMPTLY at 10 am- don't ask for an extra hour! Resort still has great amenities for young kids, but at a hefty price and AWFUL customer service. Beds not very luxurious! Only one parking pass per room even if you have a three bedroom unit! You have to pay $20 a nite across the street and ether are no in/out privilieges.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

I wrote a letter to explain all the issues with this place and it ended up being 4 pages long so ill cut it short.
messed up reservation(wrong year costumer services issue ).
Manager cared less. Didn't even show his face.
forced timeshare selling!!!!! Terrible customer service with the exception of Todd.
no internet in the rooms need to go to lobby no exceptions.
seating by pool none available our whole stay . half hour wait to get to room using elevators. No hand trucks to get baggage to rooms . took 2 hours to check in took 2 hours to check out. no view . loud hallways. put in a smoking room . for my 6 month old to die in . then told that I would have been treated better if I want on timeshare tour. when I was already a time share owners guest( My brother)

Room Tip: don't go here please
2  Thank jpdreibel
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I won't call this a horrible hotel. But management was. We arrived at the hotel after driving from Cape Canaveral and watching the shuttle launch. Check in was listed at 4 p.m. and while we did arrive around 3:00, we were prepared to wait a little. However, we were not prepared to wait for 4 more hours.

Each time we checked at the desk we got more and more excuses as to why the room wasn't ready. First it was just that it was not clean. Then the next time it was that they were installing a new countertop. at 5:00 they told us that housekeeping didn't have it ready. FINALLY at 7:00 they told us our room was ready. When we arrived in the room the first thing we did was pull out the sleeper sofa, since that's where i'd be sleeping. And it was broken. Took two of us to pull it out and had to hunt for sheets and blankets and pillows.

The smoke detector was beeping from a low battery, and the toilet ran all night long. Then they repainted the outside hallway so we got a paint fume high every time we left the room.

The hotel did however give us $100 in vouchers to use at the hotel which we quickly used up for lunch on Saturady with our $9 hamburgers, and snacks for in the room. The hotel was nice overall and enjoyed just walking out to the beach. Nephews loved the pools and lazy river. But experience was hampered by the check in. If you know it's going to be a while before the room is ready, just say so at the beginning, instead of telling us one time, then to extend it later.

We were not the only room this happened to as there were several upset guest that day.

3  Thank ajhunt2
Reviewed July 8, 2011

We decided to go to Ocean Walk for part of our honeymoon. We loved Bonnet Creek and Glacier Canyon so we knew we were going to enjoy Ocean Walk.....wrong! Our ocean view room was given away since we did not flag it a "do not move." No where was that stated on their page. So we were upset about that. Then we were suppose to check in as VIP's and their VIP counter was not staffed (we learned later from several staff members that they were understaffed). We went to our room and everything at that point looked great. After a day on the beach and receiving wrong directions from a guest service representative to the local Walmart, we decided to seek out their out door bar by the pools and ocean. It was closed at 3pm due to understaffing (a staff member pointed this out). Then we decided to walk on the beach and go to dinner. When returning to the hotel room at 9:30ish we turned back the covers to find clear sticky stuff all over the sheets. I called housekeeping for a new set. It took over an hour and a half for them to arrive. My husband then decided to take a shower and the shower head was sitting on the soap dish in the shower stall and would not attach. A call to maintenance. Another hour + wait. My husband called to speak to a manger and the clerk said she would call right back. NOTHING. The next morning we went to seek out a manager. On the way we noticed a foul smell coming from the vending room. We think it was the sewer. The manager talked to us and did admit staff problems and wants to send us a two night stay on them for our problems. We will not be going back...why? Let me tell you....He had us go to a new room the next day. It was ocean view so we were happy until we saw the comforter which had a brown crusty matter on it....eeeewwww! Housekeeping brought us a blanket instead and took the comforter. Then at night I got up to go to the bathroom and found roaches everywhere. I also checked the kitchen...roaches. We researched them when we got home and they look like German Roaches. I frantically called a manager in the morning. She said she would move us AGAIN and would have someone write or call corporate and we would get a copy of the letter. NOPE! Never received that. Also we caught two of the roaches and gave them to the manager. The next manager had us wait for our room and when we did move an exterminator was waiting for us to move our things out and so another day wasted. The last room was also an ocean view but by this time we did not care. All we wanted was to get out of there and to go home and toss our luggage so we did not bring home those roaches. We went to Wyndham Bonnet Creek after Ocean walk and loved it there!! Never had issues at any other Wyndham resorts or hotels!! We love Wyndham....never again will we stay at Ocean Walk...it is not Wyndham quality at all!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family