“Front Desk is awful”

Wyndham Ocean Walk
Ranked #22 of 73 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 1, 2011

There was only one person at the front desk when we were checking in. The person was extremely slow and didn't seem to understand the check in process very well. He stood looking at the computer screen clicking away that took almost 15 minutes even though we had advance reservations. We booked a one bedroom room for the 25th through the 27th. At the front desk we were told it was an inside room. I asked the person if he could give me a price on an oceanfront room. After another 10 minutes he handed me my key. I was just grateful to get it. The crowd behind me was growing. I went to the room and it was a crypt. One window looking in to outside hall. It was dank and dreary with no natural light. Not the way I wanted to spend my days while on vacation at the beach. I went down to the front desk and waited on line again. After a half hour I was told that because I made an internet booking I needed to call the 800 number and change it to the oceanfront that I wanted. The 800 guy was no help. He also stated that he couldn't help me because it was an online booking. He then said to go on the website and modify my room. Of course there was no internet in any of the rooms. I had to tether my cell to my laptop. Again, no area on the website to modify my room. This now has been 2 hours since I checked in. My wife and daughter was waiting for me to resolve this while it was a beautiful day. I went down and asked for the manager. Of course the manager would even come out to talk to me she sent another agent to ask me what was wrong. Finally after 2.5 hours I got another room that was great. I didn't mind paying for the upgrade. But the hassle of that front desk where they had no clue on how to run a resort. After this we went to the Omni Championsgate in Orlando. They we the total opposite of this hotel. See my review!

Reviewed April 29, 2011

We are from the North Alabama area that was ravaged by multiple tornados on Wednesday April 27, 2011. We survived fine, but with no power estimated for 7-9 days which meant no gas and spoiling foods, we made the decision to leave Decatur and head South with our family Thursday morning.

We actually found our condo on vrbo.com while driving on I-10 in Florida (using my Sprint cell phone as a wi-fi hotspot and surfing on the laptop - gotta love technology). We had no idea where to stay so we called a lot of places looking for a deal. We needed a 3 bedroom 2 bath at a minimum and found a taker at this resort. We got an incredible deal for Friday-Tuesday, and are very thankful.

Given our unique situation, check in went smoothly.

Our room is on the 20th floor with a fantastic view of Daytona Beach.

The condo was clean and had toilet paper and that was about it. Fortunately we had brought everything else.

The location is excellent with close access to lots of restaurants and shops.

The pools are heated.

I recommend this place.

2  Thank KRProductions
Reviewed April 29, 2011

I would not reccomend this resort. We stayed for four nights and were very disappointed. We had to change rooms three times upon checking in. When we checked in and went to our assigned room, we could tell immediatly upon opening the door that the room had been heavily smoked in. We were traveling with my infant son so it was completely unacceptable to stay in it. We immediatly went back down to the front desk and informed them that we booked a non smoking room and needed to change rooms. They switched us to a different room and we moved all of our bags and belongings to a diferent room, the air conditioner was being worked on so it was pulled out and on the floor in the hallway so we had to switch rooms yet again. They did give us five $10 vouchers for the eatery for the inconvenience tho which was nice. The purpose of my visit was to meet with my wedding vendors because we are having our wedding at the resort in October. I had one of my vendors meet me at the resort to go over some things and she called me from outside because there was nowhere for her to park because you have to have a room key to get into the parking garage at the resort. I called the front dest to ask where she could park and they were extreamly rude to me and told me to go down to the parking area and let her into the garage with my room key. Its going to be such a hassle to have to do that for our wedding guests and vendors on the day of our wedding. We have already booked everything tho so its too late to back out now. The staff is extreamly rude and you always have to call severl times to get the front desk to pick up if you need anything. The lazy river was closed off for renovation also which was dissapointing. I also paid $17 to get interntet access in our hotel room because they don't provide it for free, and it had one bar of signal if we were lucky but it didn't even have a signal for 90% of the time.

1  Thank sadieladie08
Reviewed April 28, 2011

Property no longer has many of the amenities it started out with - spa, gift shop, activities, restaurant. There is a poolside grill/bar, but the interior only has a snack bar/grocery. If you stay in a Wyndham owned unit - they are run down and not well stocked. If you stay in an owner suite, you will have to pay for some extras like putt-putt, extra soaps, paper towels, etc. We were in a Wyndham owned unit to start, but it had so many mechanical/upkeep issues had to move. We were moved into a privately owned unit. Moving units for a family of four in the middle of the vacation was NO fun.

Lazy river was closed for maintenance, which took up most of the pool deck space as well, not to mention the noise of the grinders and other power tools. Each time we needed something for our room, we had to call at least 3 times. We had a balcony which had no furniture and they promised to get us furniture - didn't happen in 7 day stay.

Internet access only available in lobby bar area.
We have been here two years in a row - this is our last time....

Room Tip: Best bet is a private owner unit.
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Lets see! I love the Ocean Walk...however this last time we visted this April, we were kind of dissapointed.....the rooms were very run down!!!! VERY! they said they were updated and just havent got to the room we stayed in...however we had a bunch of people with us, and all there rooms looked like ours!!! They tried to get my to buy a timeshare..but not if they dont keep them updated! SAD NO dvd Player..but a VHS player!!! out dated!

I will recommend it, only because you cant beat the loacation...however what you see on the internet is not what you get....and hopefully the lazy river is working because it was down when we were there, and who knows when it will be back up, is what the word was!

Reviewed April 24, 2011

Being I worked in a resort industry for years. The customer service was so bad and most of front office staff very rude and doesn't explain anything. I would never recommend that resort. Very overpriced for what You get and the treatment your given when you check in.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 22, 2011

We made reservations through our Wyndham Time Share ownership program. Don't believe the nonsense they tell you about how important you are to the Wydham Time Share program and how you get "Priority" on your reservations. We made our reservation several months in advance and asked what it would take to get an ocean view 1 room suite. We offered to pay extra and do what ever they needed to get an ocean facing room. Boy did we get the run around. From the Reservation Staff to the Front Desk to the Guest Services Time Share staff. Everyone gave me a different story. No one would even address the issue and each time we told the individual what we were told we would get double talk about how to get what we wanted. Staff at the desk were rude and unhelpful.

Room Tip: You cannot get a guarantee of room type.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple