“Great experience despite some of the negative reviews”

Anna's Trattoria Italian Cuisine
Ranked #44 of 374 Restaurants in Daytona Beach
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Ormond Beach, FL
“Great experience despite some of the negative reviews”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We dined at Tartorria Anna last night. After reviewing some of the negative reviews, I had some trepidation about the evening. The restaurant would be catagorized as a small family Italian establishment. It is located on Seabreeze Blvd. in Daytona Beach, a blue collar bar area. Fortunately, our reservations were for 5:30. By 6:00 the restaurant was repidly filling. This is the Daytona 500 weekend and restaurants are packed.

Despite some of the negative reviews, the restaurant, which is rather smallish, is decorated as one would expect a family restaurant in Rome, not extravagent, but well themed. First off, we were impressed by the level and quality of service. A rather long list of specials was presented by the waiter. I chose the Veal Saltmboca because of a previous reviewer's comments. The side was a dish of pasta topped with Marinaas sauce. My wife had the Eggpland Parm. topped with shrimp. Two of our party had a chicken special in a garlic sauce about which they raved. The presentation and quality of the meals were outstanding.

In summary, the service and cuisine was supurb. the restaurant serves only beer and wine, not liquor which, under the circumstances are sufficint to compliment the meal.

Fortunately, experience with TA reviews has taught us to disregard minority negative reviews and go with the majority. As the old saying goes, if you go out on the street looking for a fight, you will probably find one.

2 Thank FLBigmac

Daytona Beach, Florida
“What an amazing find!!!!”
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Anna's is a small little cozy hidden gem! After reading reviews of Anna's we decided to give it a try, and boy were we lucky we did! A small little fancy restaurant with casual dining is what we had found. Anna's has been here since 1990 is what the waiter said and there is a definite reason behind that. Everything from the complimentary brucscetta to the best homemade salad dressing I've ever had and even a complimentary antimaso sorbet to cleanse your palate before your meal. As for the meal itself, I haven't had veal in years but I had veal saltimbocca and what a great decision! My wife had linguine pasta with shrimp mussels calamari AND CLAMS! You should have seen that plate! Our waiter Josh, didn't miss a beat! Friend funny and very knowledgeable to everything in the restaurant. Do yourself a favor and give this little true taste of Italy a try. P.S. Homemade terimisu is out of this world for dessert.

3 Thank beachbum201
Ira Vermont
“A PRETENTIOUS LITTLE PLACE”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I've never written a bad review before, but this place just went from bad to worse. First it's in a seedy area, next to some bars and a package store and "lounge". I was wondering if the wheels and tires would be on our car when we came out. As you enter the foyer area and look up you can see a large bulge in the ceiling from a water leak in the roof. Pseudo Italian sculptures on a dividing wall are coated with a thick brown dust. Not a great first impression, but we came here on a recommendation from an acquaintance We waited a bit, I thought too long as they weren't all that busy. Finally a young man came out and welcomed us saying we could have any of the three corner tables but would have to wait for anything else, again as I said, they weren't that busy, but it was OK. After getting seated and receiving menus and water, I asked the waiter, Josh, if they served mixed drinks and he replied that they only served beer and wine, which I don't drink. I guess I showed too much disappointment to this as he invited us to leave and go to one of the drinking establishments near the restaurant and then come back. At that point I told him that it would be fine, I didn't need to drink with dinner, but the damage was done I guess, he became quite curt and even corrected my pronunciation of a couple of items on the menu. I'm half Italian and grew up in a home where it was spoken regularly, so I was somewhat offended and thanked him for correcting me and he actually said "you're welcome". We waited quite some time for salads and all courses to arrive, but we expected to as they are cooked to order. The salads were very small, but the main courses were of average size. I had the Rigatoni Bolognese and my Wife had the Capellini Pomodoro and the sauce had a flavor I have never tasted before. I think it had wine or some type of alcohol in it, very acidic and unpleasant. After bringing our meals, Josh disappeared, never to be seen at our table until it was time to ask if we were interested in dessert. He never once checked with us as to how our meals were and if it wasn't for the other waiter we wouldn't have even gotten refills on water. Josh spent his time at a table of six across from us, who were obviously regulars. It was stunning to watch the difference in the treatment these people were receiving compared to how we were treated. It's very obvious the guy picks and chooses who gets his "A game" and who doesn't. We didn't have dessert and as he was bringing the bill it must have dawned on him that he had a tip coming, he told us to come back and also to tell our friends. We won't be back, but we are going to tell our friends.
To be fair it's obvious that many people love the food at this restaurant, we just didn't care for it. Had the waiter not been so obnoxious, we would have just chocked this place up to experience and not said anything, however I think the owner should know how some(not all, the other waiter was very nice) of his wait staff are treating his clientele, if he's interested in building his business.

5 Thank BIGBLOCK54
Summerville, Georgia
“Not the Same”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We have been coming to Daytona for years and have eaten here for the last 4 years when we were here. Each year this restaurant service gets slower, the food gets worse, and the whole experience is poorer. I would not recommend this restaurant anymore, we had a party of 5 and waited almost 2 hours after we were seated before getting our food, the sauces were watered down, the dinner was just not acceptable, there has to be better Italian restaurants in Daytona, Carrabas would have been much better.

2 Thank anner48
Palm Coast, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bad customer service and food”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

This place is a mock and a hack of Italian food.... I know Italian... My wife is Italian and we grew up with Italian food.... She knows how to make veal cutlet, but When a restaurant serves me freezer burnt veal cutllet parm.... Which I know what freezer burnt taste like then doesn't take it off the check.... That's bad business, besides the rolling eyes we all got upon arrival and all dressed well, the slow service and no terimisu on a Friday along with the Waiter arguing with me in the restaurant and a block down the road is bad business..... My friend had to stop me from kicking his Butt.... Never ever has any restaurant ever made me this humiliated and that mad ever..... I will bad mouth this hack of a restaurant to my dying day.... Wish I took my guest to Billy's tap room....

1st rule of Restaurant Business is the customer is King... Treat them as such.... 2nd rule... make sure the customer is happy which they never did.... Yeah they did bring me out another not frozen and fresh according to them and yes was good, But no terimisu on a Friday 2 trikes.... 3 trikes came when no alternitive dessert was offerd... 4 stikes was when my friend wanted a cappuccino and they said they had to prepare the milk and took 1/2 hour.... 5 strikes was not taking my meal off or anything.... 6 strikes was when I politely and discreetly told the waiter he lost customers.... 7 strikes is when our waiter argued with me and threw the bill and money at me at the front door.... I then lost it... and all heard.... 8 strikes is when he chased me a block and threw 20 dollars at me..... I'm done!

• Visited January 2014