“The Special of the evening was cold and dried out.”
Review of Gene's Steak House - CLOSED

Gene's Steak House
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Port Orange, Florida
“The Special of the evening was cold and dried out.”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I dined here last night with 3 friends. We had heard of Gene's steak house, as a traditional supper club in the Daytona area. We had a Groupon, so we thought we'd try it. There was a nice selection of steaks, and my friends shared a Porterhouse that looked and tasted good. The other friend ordered the NY Strip Kabob and she said it was good. I tried the special of the evening which was 4 oz. of filet mignon medallions and 4 oz of ahi tuna. I knew the portions were small, but they came to the table cold. I told our server and she took it back to the kitchen, where I think they must have just microwaved it. It came back to me a bit warmer, but very dry.

The service was slow, Judy, our server seemed like she was overworked and tired. As we left the restaurant, the chef, John, cordially asked how everything was, so I told him of my disappointment. He blamed the cold food on the server......so I don't know who was to blame, but I know that my meal wasn't worth the $26.95 we paid for it.

I doubt I'll go back to Gene's again. There are other restaurants in Daytona that serve better food and have better ambiance than Gene's . Sorry.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Randee51

Sun City Center, Florida
“Great Steak”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great steaks -- wonderful service from Derrick, our waiter. This was not the first time we had gone to Gene's. Had a gift certificate from Restaurants.com, which helps because the prices are high. Very romantic type of place, however, it does need some upgrading. While we were there, families arrived, business people, friends. We would recommend to anyone, but be prepared for the prices.

• Visited August 2013
Florida
“Not worth it even with a groupon”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

After some of the worst service I have ever had I actually wrote to the management. I'll let you know if they ever get back to me (its been about a month)
Do yourself a favor and save your money. There are so many nice options around...ones without stains on the tablecloth and peeling paint.
Honestly the food is on par with cattlemans steakhouse in Sanford or The Stockyard in Deland (both are at least 1/2 price of Genes) It's not bad food, it's just very pricy for what you get. Like I said in the letter you can pay the same price for much better quality and service at Stonewood grill or Shulas, or pony up an extra $20 and go to Ruth's Chris or Del Friscos.

To Whom it may concern,

Hello there, I thought I might take a minute to share my recent experience at your restaurant. My husband and I made reservations at the "only time available". It wasn't really a problem, more laughable as when we got to Genes it was next to dead. Maybe a quarter of the tables in one dining room were taken. Ok...whatever not a big deal.
The man that brought us to our seats was very pleasant. The young man walking around taking plates and filling drinks also very observant and did a great job. Our waitress, on the other hand, was terrible. Not just bad, but rude, and actually one of the worst waitresses I've come across.
1st it took us around 30 minutes to order because we asked for unsweet tea, she brought us sweet. When we informed her of this, instead of taking our appetizer order with the tea (that she argued about) she grabbed the glasses and stormed off. We didn't see her again for some time
2 When we did order she kept correcting my husband on his pronunciation. He ordered a caprese salad and said caprese instead of "capresy"
Who cares? Also she kept informing us that the blue cheese is Roquefort. Again, who cares? If she did it in a funny, nice, joking, whatever way it would have been ok, but she was totally rude as if we were stupid and she needed to take the time to teach us. If she wanted to teach us something she could have gone over the specials or some highlights on the wine list like I heard the other waiter doing.
3 Our salads came well before the appetizer. Again we really didn't care, just weird. When she would plop down our food she immediately turned and walked away. She was just too busy with her other few tables to ask if our food was ok I guess.
4 The one time she did check on us and fill our tea she spilt it all over my husband's arm and the table cloth. She didn't even look back, or apologize, or offer to clean it up or anything.
I don't known if she treated us this way because we are young, or because we used a groupon, or what. I didn't really notice her going out of the way for the other patrons, but at least she seemed to be checking on them.
You may want to inform her that people like us use groupon to try new places and if we like it we'd be back. Together without the groupon our dinner would have been $80. Plus tip. No big deal for us, we do that about once a week, and id say the ribeyes were worth it. Honestly with the way she treated us though I doubt I'd go back. I can spend the same at Stonewood or Cattlemans , or spend and extra $20 an go to Ruth's Chris or Del Friscos.
Just thought you'd like to know and that Judy probably cost you a lot more than just one couple of could be regulars.
Thanks for your time, and sorry your crappy waitress is ruining your reputation.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank SFitzy321
Va Beach, VA
“Loved It!”
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

We went to Gene's Steak House because we had a groupon. It was definately a date night feeling type of place. They had clean white tablecloths on the table. The steaks were huge. We had the ribeye which was 17 ounces so we split the steak and got another plate service which was $8.00 and included a baked potato and salad. We still didn't finish the steak even after splitting. We got cheesecake to go and wow what a treat for later. We enjoyed everything from our waiter Todd to our dessert. Thanks so much for a wonderful evening. I do suggest reservations.

• Visited August 2013
us
“Great Traditional Steak House”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We had heard about Gene's from friends and were glad we got a chance to visit. Although the curb appeal isn't great, as soon as you step in the door you are very pleasantly surprised. This is a spot frequented by NASCAR greats when they are in town and there are some awesome photographs on the wall to enjoy. If you enjoy white tablecloths and other details of fine dining you will appreciate Gene's. Our server was very good, a true professional; he took care of us well throughout our visit. Our steaks were cooked perfectly (we were pleased to see "plate service" available as I wanted to share the very large Porterhouse with my husband) and the "sides" were delicious. We would likely return on our next visit to the beach.

• Visited July 2013