“Over Rated Newly Renovated True & False?”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Oceanfront Daytona Beach
Ranked #30 of 103 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Jacksonville, Florida
“Over Rated Newly Renovated True & False?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2010

I went down to the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona I made these plans last minute. So I didn't have many places to choose from most of the Hotels I like to stay at were full Hilton, Marriott, etc etc. So I gave this La Quinta Inn & Suites Oceanfront Daytona Beach 816 N. Atlantic Ave. Daytona Beach, FL 32118 a chance. When I arrived they were nice at the front counter and they had my info. I was tried so I got my room card #201 and went over to my room. The first thing I noticed was this room was at the top of the stairs. I really don't like being at the top or bottom of the stairs but I went in the room was large with 2 queen size beds. I deceided to stay it was only for a night. The room has carpet under the beds and tile every where else. The room had a Ref and Microwave oven and two large size tv's that both worked and the cable or sat worked fine. There was only one window and the bathroom wasn't bad but only one sink ok for one or two people. But if a family was to stay in room 201 that would be bad! I went on to the race and then came back about 3 1/2 hours later the parking lot was filling up I parked near my room. And went upstairs I deceided to sleep in the back room for when I turned on the a/c it was making a loud noise. I didn't call down for any help so after a bit I just turned it off. For I knew the weather was getting colder. During my sleep I woke up several times to the bathroom fan? It seemed the noise was coming from the roof. I some how got back to sleep. When morning came I took a relaxing bath only to find my hot water didn't stay hot for long? So during my Shower the water was luke warm. The cont Breakfast was fine I wanted to get on there computer in the business office. But a sign on the door said OUT OF ORDER? Just like on the Fitness center door which if you look inside the glass door you see ladders and old a/c units. I paid with tax $133.00 for this room.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Ft. Worth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2009

Our family of four stayed here in August for a week. One of the few upsides to this stay was that we redeemed La Quinta points and our stay was reasonably cheap. However, I was charged $10 per person per night for my two 18 year old sons, which I think is ridiculous. I'm not sure if this is LQ policy, or just this hotels policy. It seems ridiculous to me to have to pay extra for a family member. My kids just turned 18, this was their graduation present, and they still live under my roof.

Rooms - The "two room" rooms are exactly that, two rooms. One room w/beds in it and one room w/tv & couch in it. In my conversation with the hotel prior to our arrival, I was led to believe it was a "two bedroom" room, a bed in each room and a seperate room for tv/couch.

Cleanliness - The closet had a moldy/musty smell. We were afraid to hang our clothes in it for fear they would absorb the smell. We had a no-smoking room and it was fine the first few days, but after about the third day it started smelling like stale smoke. We realized the rooms were "cleaned" very strongly between guests and the cleaning solutions were wearing off and the true odor of the room was coming out by this time.

Facilities-they have two washers and two dryers at this hotel. One washer was "out of order" the entire week we were there. The "workout room" is a joke. It also had a "out of order" sign on the door the entire week we were there. Obviously it had been that way for a while and would most likely continue to be.....there was sheetrock, ladders, saws and lots of other construction supplies stored in there. The "workout room" should instead be labeled "supply room".

As others have posted, you are being watched. They have cameras all over the property and will call your room if they see you doing something they percieve as "wrong". I drive a 4 door truck and was limited to certain parking spaces in their very small lot. One afternoon we made a fast run back to our room from shopping and were leaving again within 5 minutes and the front desk called to tell me I needed to move my truck as I was "in the way". This really set me off as it was the middle of the afternoon when the parking lot was mostly empty as everyone is out sight seeing. I was parked legally in front of my room, but they perceived this as "wrong" because my truck is larger than most of the other cars in the parking lot. I try to be courteous, and was not "in the way" as they said. I made sure of this before we got out of the truck.

As there are only balconies on the rooms that face the ocean, lots of the guests would set their lawn chairs up and hang out in front of their rooms in the walk ways. Beer bottles and pizza boxes were usually found in the walkways in the morning. It is definitely not a 5 star hotel.

Housekeeping - they were great. Gave you anything you needed.

Location - definitely not in the middle of everything. This could be good or bad depending on what you're looking for. We had to drive everywhere we went.

Breakfast - suprisingly decent. No meat of any kind, but an ample supply of pastries, cereal, fruit, breads. Nothing to get too excited about, but I've seen worse. Often times had to wait for desk clerk to replenish.

Upkeep - I did not see anyone doing any sort of maintenance on the hotel at any time during our stay. The parking lot was never washed off/swept up. The washer in the laundry room was never repaired. The balcony railings on the ocean side were in need of painting. They did not enforce the "no dogs in this area" rule (dogs were on the patio and using the grassy area nearby for their potty). I am a dog lover, but am not a friend of their poop in the grass :)

Management - manager hides behind wall at front desk watching his cameras and lets employees handle disgruntled guests. After the guest leaves the room, the manager will walk out from behind the wall and talk about the guest to the employee. I saw this on more than one occasion as we were eating breakfast .

Overall, Daytona Beach was a great place and we had a good time. We decided not to let the negativity of this hotel get us down. I will never go back there, and will never recommend it. We usually have good luck with La Quintas. This one needs to have it's franchise revoked. It brings down the La Quinta name. Having a different owner/manager would help improve it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank rottendog
Flagler Beach, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2009

Room was recently renovated and very clean compared to similarly priced hotels nearby. Beach was right out the balcony, jacuzzi tub in room was relaxing, and staff was hospitable.

Only slight drawback is that right across the street is a liquor store that had a lot of foot traffic into it late at night, including some scary looking characters. None were on the hotel property at all, just across the street, but I still escorted wife to parking lot after dark for safety sake.

Hotel itself was clean, and affordable - a great value!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2009

This hotel was more than what we expected. It was worth a stay, to stay at this LaQuinta Inn, which is oceanfront.
We had a great view of the ocean, from the balcony to sit out on, even on the ground floor, just steps away from the beach. We were amazed. Room had tile and carpet in the room, also smelled so fresh and tiles looked so clean. Bed was extremely comfortable, room was clean and view was outstanding. The hotel had a breakfast, which was great!!
This hotel is dog friendly free up to 20 pounds and $10 a night over 20 pounds.
This hotel is close to the Daytona International Speedway.
The only thing we seen of a problem is the parking, which is somewhat limited.
We were so please, all staff was so courteous and friendly. We will go back again and recommend everyone with children to try this hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Atl
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2009

Had a wonderful time, our stay was just a one nighter. Checked in at 2pm and had plenty of time to enjoy the wonderful pool, and beach. Bed was extremely comfortable, room was clean and view was outstanding. We stayed in a King Suite with jacuzzi tub and it had nice tile floor. Hotel is dog friendly free up to 20 pounds and $10 a night over 20 pounds. Beach is not dog friendly but may change, Ponce Inlet does have a great dog friendly beach. Overall great experience, not sure what other people are talking about.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
US
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2009

I stay in many La Quintas all over the country for work and am very happy with them. This one is quite the exception, it seems like it is very old and they just threw some paint on it and called it a La Quinta. The room smells like mold and cleaning products. The facilities are old, rusty and generally not safe for children. There were even dirty handprints on the trim in the room. The room was not even fully carpeted, only a mat type carpet under the bed. The front desk help was one of those "I have to check with my manager types" who was off-site anyway. We used 18,000 La Quina points to stay there and decided to leave after two minutes and they refused to return our points. They outright lied and said there is a 72 hour cancellation policy, even when I showed my e-mail confirmation that I had until 6 pm of arrival day to cancel. This hotel is a pure scam and makes money on people leaving and not refunding their money or points. They should have their franchise pulled.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank worldlytraveler21
florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2009

Just an old hotel with a few renovations, felt dirty (although it was clean), just felt
nasty. We checked out after being there for 2 hours and seeing a mom watch a child
go to the bathroom and then try to empty his pants into the pool. Just the whole thing was a bad experience. The room was clean, but smelled and the linens were limp and we just couldn't imagine sleeping there. Just left you feeling like you wanted to go home and stay there, which is exactly what we did. True we arrived without reservations anywhere and they had plenty of rooms, no wonder. LOL.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple