“Not what it used to be...”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Oceanfront Daytona Beach
Ranked #18 of 74 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Reviewed July 19, 2008

We have stayed at this particular hotel several times between 2003-2008 and been very satisfied. The hotel has great potential, a good location, a lovely swimming pool and is very affordable. We have, however, noticed a steady decline in both the hotel's general upkeep and customer service. The room doors are difficult to close; the toilet runs and the shower drips; paper products and cups were not replenished; a light bulb was burnt out; there were food crumbs between the bed and bedside table; there were roaches; the pay-per view television did not work; and, the complementary breakfast bar was insufficiently stocked/serviced.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Marbella10

Reviewed July 7, 2008

On April 1, 2008 I registered at 816 N. Atlantic Ave., Daytona Beach, Florida location. I booked two rooms for two nights - April 1 & 2, 2008. We were given our card keys and proceeded to our rooms. My wife inserted the key into our room and it partially opened - stopped by the chain from the inside. A man, obviously shocked, yelled from the other side of the door which in turn startled my wife and I. We had to apologise for the interruption (even though this was not our mistake). My daughter and her husband opened the door to their room and it had not been made up! So, down to the desk I went and the clerk moved us to two new rooms (one of which was an upgrade to a suite). The next day we went sight seeing and when we returned to our room the card key would not work! I called the desk from our daughter's room and a new key was brought to us. Once in our room we noticed that the maid had been in and taken our used towels but didn't leave us any fresh ones. I called the desk yet again!!! New towels were brought to us. That night was probably the worst night ever spent in a hotel. Our "special upgrade" was beside the soda machine, ice machine, stairway and elevator! A horde of young people were staying at the hotel and yelled, banged, crashed and even set off fireworks from one of the hotel balconies at about 3:00 am. This was nearly heart stopping for my wife because she thought it was gun shots. We were sure that something would be done about this because the noise could be easily heard by everyone, but nothing was done!!! Beer cans, wrappers and gobs of spit were still at the entrance to, and inside of, the elevator at 9:30 in the morning. And to top it all off, for this "vacation experience" we had to pay $445.52
I am not quick to complain. I have stayed in many hotels and have never had such an unfavorable experience and have never been to the point that I had to contact the head office before.
By the way, don't bother to complain to the head office for La Quinta. They will acknowledge your complaint, but that's it!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank travelbytwos
Reviewed June 28, 2008

Walked in to the place and they were polite and allowed dogs. The big windows in each rom are a nice touch.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank numbphoto
Reviewed June 20, 2008

The La Quinta on Daytona Beach was a beautiful clean hotel right on the beach and close to the pier. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The price is very competitive. The pool was very nice and overlooking the beach. The only problem we had was that the air conditioner starting leaking that evening and when I contacted the front office their reply was they wouldn't have anyone available to look at it until the next day. I went back later because there was puddle of water by the bed and got towels to soak up the water. The hotel was full so there was no where else for us to go and their only offer was "I'm really sorry." The continental breakfast was very nice except the orange juice was very watered down so that it looked more like lemonade but everything else was good and the breakfast area was very clean.

There was even security on the premises so you felt safe on the property. The hotel was advertised in those discount hotel books you find at rest areas and they offerred a military rate.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank beachbird123
Reviewed May 6, 2008

I brought my Girl Scout troop -- 9 teens and a second parent chaperone -- to celebrate the end of a successful Scouting year. We booked several weeks in advance. The woman I spoke to on the phone was extremely pleasant. I explained that I had a large group, she assured me that they would be able to accomodate me in two oceanfront family suites for $159 per night each. I calculated the price per girl and informed their parents. When I got there, the assistant general manager refused to honor the price. He said the groups were too large -- 5 in one room, 6 in another. He wanted to charge me an additional $10 per person, per night, for the third, fourth, fifth and sixth person in each room! That may not sound like a lot to some, but when you're relying on profit from Girl Scout cookies and to-the-penny parent contributions, it's a lot! Heck, it comes to an additional $140 for our two nights! I insisted -- firmly but politely -- that he honor what his staff had told me. He continued to repeat the policy, claiming they could not accomodate us -- even though the rooms sleep 6 people each (2 queen beds and a pull out sofa/double bed). He even told me at one point that I was welcome to leave, knowing it would be impossible to find last-minute accommodations elsewhere. After a lot of wrangling, he finally allowed me to pay $159 for one room and $169 for the other.

Once we settled into the rooms, I was disappointed to see that they were much smaller than they appear online... but the girls didn't mind. We had a wonderful view and had a great time at the beach and at Ocean Walk (shops, restaurants and movie theater), which was a nice 6-8 block walk away.

I was also disappointed to see stained towels in the bathroom -- the bleach apparently didn't "take" fully. (Yuck!) The staff promptly replaced them but did not apologize. That annoyed me.

Still, it was not a total loss... but I would not recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank SherriBabyFlorida
Reviewed December 1, 2007

"The La Quinta Inn and Suites Daytona Beach Oceanfront is a newly built hotel "is the quote from the hotel's individual website. No way. You can see where the place has been renovated from being something else before. If not-- it is the shoddiest piece of construction I've ever seen for a hotel. The only plus here is that our 2nd floor ocean view was a beautiful view. 1) Area is scary-- I was really concerned arriving after dark. 2) Towels were all damp on the rack--yuck. Bathroom barely big enough to turn around in. 3) About a dozen dark hairs from the last bather's shampoo remained in the tub. I would not let my 7 yr old take a bath, but only a shower. 4) Front desk. while nice enough, really seemed bored to be there. 5) The light on the balcony didn't work. There was no switch to turn it on. Not on the wall inside, not on the wall outside, not on the fixture. Right... 6) The wall lights were all unplugged when we got into the room-- one couldn't even reach the only available plug.

I was embarrased that I had booked this for my family and would not recommend it for a stay of longer than a day or two. I will never return to the strip here. Period. BBQ at Hogwild was awful. See food review.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Luvamoose67
Reviewed September 7, 2007

We stayed at the La Quinta Inn because we needed a pet friendly hotel since we have small dog. We went Labor Day weekend '07. Everything was great! We had beachfront room overlooking the pool. The service and the upkeep here is excellent. Seeing how it's Daytona, we didn't expect it to be this nice and with such friendly atmosphere but it was! The housekeeping staff was extremely helpful and courteous. The only problem with this stretch of Daytona is they have their share of "riff raff" such as homeless people walking the strip on N.Atlantic. But not as bad as one would think. I really believe Daytona has gotten a bad rap because of this. Parking can be limited at the La Quinta on peak nights but they do have an over flow parking across the street which fortunately we didn't have to use.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family