“Poor Management”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Oceanfront Daytona Beach
Ranked #19 of 73 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Reviewed May 6, 2008

I brought my Girl Scout troop -- 9 teens and a second parent chaperone -- to celebrate the end of a successful Scouting year. We booked several weeks in advance. The woman I spoke to on the phone was extremely pleasant. I explained that I had a large group, she assured me that they would be able to accomodate me in two oceanfront family suites for $159 per night each. I calculated the price per girl and informed their parents. When I got there, the assistant general manager refused to honor the price. He said the groups were too large -- 5 in one room, 6 in another. He wanted to charge me an additional $10 per person, per night, for the third, fourth, fifth and sixth person in each room! That may not sound like a lot to some, but when you're relying on profit from Girl Scout cookies and to-the-penny parent contributions, it's a lot! Heck, it comes to an additional $140 for our two nights! I insisted -- firmly but politely -- that he honor what his staff had told me. He continued to repeat the policy, claiming they could not accomodate us -- even though the rooms sleep 6 people each (2 queen beds and a pull out sofa/double bed). He even told me at one point that I was welcome to leave, knowing it would be impossible to find last-minute accommodations elsewhere. After a lot of wrangling, he finally allowed me to pay $159 for one room and $169 for the other.

Once we settled into the rooms, I was disappointed to see that they were much smaller than they appear online... but the girls didn't mind. We had a wonderful view and had a great time at the beach and at Ocean Walk (shops, restaurants and movie theater), which was a nice 6-8 block walk away.

I was also disappointed to see stained towels in the bathroom -- the bleach apparently didn't "take" fully. (Yuck!) The staff promptly replaced them but did not apologize. That annoyed me.

Still, it was not a total loss... but I would not recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank SherriBabyFlorida

Reviewed December 1, 2007

"The La Quinta Inn and Suites Daytona Beach Oceanfront is a newly built hotel "is the quote from the hotel's individual website. No way. You can see where the place has been renovated from being something else before. If not-- it is the shoddiest piece of construction I've ever seen for a hotel. The only plus here is that our 2nd floor ocean view was a beautiful view. 1) Area is scary-- I was really concerned arriving after dark. 2) Towels were all damp on the rack--yuck. Bathroom barely big enough to turn around in. 3) About a dozen dark hairs from the last bather's shampoo remained in the tub. I would not let my 7 yr old take a bath, but only a shower. 4) Front desk. while nice enough, really seemed bored to be there. 5) The light on the balcony didn't work. There was no switch to turn it on. Not on the wall inside, not on the wall outside, not on the fixture. Right... 6) The wall lights were all unplugged when we got into the room-- one couldn't even reach the only available plug.

I was embarrased that I had booked this for my family and would not recommend it for a stay of longer than a day or two. I will never return to the strip here. Period. BBQ at Hogwild was awful. See food review.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Luvamoose67
Reviewed September 7, 2007

We stayed at the La Quinta Inn because we needed a pet friendly hotel since we have small dog. We went Labor Day weekend '07. Everything was great! We had beachfront room overlooking the pool. The service and the upkeep here is excellent. Seeing how it's Daytona, we didn't expect it to be this nice and with such friendly atmosphere but it was! The housekeeping staff was extremely helpful and courteous. The only problem with this stretch of Daytona is they have their share of "riff raff" such as homeless people walking the strip on N.Atlantic. But not as bad as one would think. I really believe Daytona has gotten a bad rap because of this. Parking can be limited at the La Quinta on peak nights but they do have an over flow parking across the street which fortunately we didn't have to use.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank FunkyJunk
Reviewed August 8, 2007

We had our family reunion here the last week of July. We were all able to get oceanfront rooms next to each other on the first floor and not all of these rooms were reserved. The maid service was good, clean room and towels early in the day. The rooms were a good size, included refrigerator and microwave .Felt safe at this hotel. The beach was just a few feet from the hotel. Also had a huge patio with table and chairs, a great place to hang out at! We all agreed if we came back to Daytona Beach we would stay at the LaQuinta again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mjwood
Reviewed May 29, 2007

This was the first time we stayed at a LaQuinta. Never again! The room smelled of mildew and the rug was wet. We stayed 2 nights. We didn't complain the first night because we thought the rug was wet because it was recently shampooed. The room smelled so bad we couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2007

We stayed at this hotel when it first opened in 2004 and had an oceanfront room. We thoroughly enjoyed our week long stay. We could actually hear the waves on the shore at night, and woke up to the sun rising each morning. It's in a great location within walking distance to lots of shops and the pier, where all the action is.

We returned in 2006 for a week and were given the same room we had 2 years previous. Talk about coincidence.....It had aged quite a bit since our last visit, but overall we were pleased. The staff was friendly and accommodating and the complimentary continental breakfast was a nice way to start the day.

Other reviewers commented on the lack of parking for this hotel but it was never a problem for us. There was always a parking spot when we returned at the end of the day.

1  Thank NSRoadrunner7
Reviewed October 13, 2006

This hotel was not clean, the service was horrible and the neighborhood did not seem safe. The La Quinta chain should be ashamed to have this as one of its hotels. We were there as part of a large group and by the end of the week, over half of the group checked out early and checked into other properties.

• Stayed: September 2006