“WILL NOT STAY HERE AGAIN”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Oceanfront Daytona Beach
Ranked #31 of 103 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“WILL NOT STAY HERE AGAIN”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We stayed here on the third floor at the far end of teh building near the property border for four days in early November 2011. From the outside this beachside hotel is beautiful, and the pool/hottub area, lounge courtyard, and breakfast buffet area is very lovely. Even the prices are decent. The balconies offer a magnificent view of the beach and ocean. In general, the rooms are clean and elegantly furnished - some have a dark wood style and others (like ours) was done in a white stone style that makes you think of old Rome or Greece. Our room also had a nice stone two-person sauna bath in the middle of the room.

So why then wouldn't I stay here again? It isn't because they installed the sink and shower faucets the wrong way so that when you turn on the cold water you get scalded with hot water. Mistakes happen. It isn't because we had to ask twice for an alarm clock and toilet paper for our room and finally had to go down to the front desk to get one. Mistakes happen. It is because, after a couple of nights I was standing on the balcony and listening to the rushing of the waves under a beautiful starry sky when I suddenly noticed a large white pole sticking up among the trees and plants of the garden. At the top of the pole was something that had a small ring of tiny red lights on it. It really startled me. I looked down the length of the building and noticed two more such poles with little red lights. But since I couldn't see it clearly in the dark I decided to wait until morning to check it out. The next morning i discovered that it was exactly what I hoped it wouldn't be - video cameras! And one of them was aimed right at our balcony looking into our third-floor room! (SEE MY PHOTO). Conveniently the bed is situated right in front of the balcony. I can understand a camera facing the parking lot, front office and even the pool area - but aimed into the back of our room?! To me that is crossing the line between security and peeping tom! I plan on calling my attorney about the legality of this when I have a chance, and I also plan to notify the local press. So unless you are a voyeur and enjoy having your every move video taped in your hotel room, I'd avoid this place like the plague.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank WhydahGalley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We stayed here a few nights and the rooms were decent and clean for the price we got. We would stay again if we come back to visit mom who lives in Ormond Beach right next door.

• Stayed December 2010
Florida
Reviewed November 2, 2011

This cute little hotel is right on the beach and is not very expensive. The room was nice, with a wonderful tiled floor, nice bathroom and was very spacious, again, for the price (under $100). It is on the upper end of the beach, away from the boardwalk, but near to many excellent restaurants and attractions. We really enjoyed it.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are a bit more expensive but have a wonderful balcony and are close enough to enjoy...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
minnesota
Reviewed October 28, 2011

My father and I stayed at this hotel on our 2nd night of driving from Minnesota to central Florida. We didn't have a reservation and I have usually had pretty positive experiences at LaQuinta so we gave it a try. I was able to receive a decent AAA rate for the room, we were in room 308 which had a sitting area with fridge, micro, sofa, coffee table and TV. Through an archway were the 2 beds, another TV, dresser, desk, closet and balcony overlooking the pool area and beach. The room was very clean and had tile flooring (I wish more hotels did this instead of dirty carpets). The room appears to have been refreshed fairly recently - the bed and bedding was very comfortable and the bathroom was clean. The sink is out side of the bathroom, which is nice when traveling with multiple people.

The hotel offered your basic run of the mill breakfast - fruit, cereal, waffle maker, etc. Some of the common areas (vending areas) and elevator appeared to be a bit run down. The pool area was nice and the walkway to the beach was very convenient. As for noise, we really didn't notice anything, we kept our patio door open all night to listen to the waves which probably helped drown out any noise there may have been - with the exception of the neighbors who returned to their room at 4:00 am whooping and hollering on their balcony, but it was very short lived and I fell right back asleep.

Overall, I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: The oceanfront rooms have a balcony with two chairs and a little table. I would def. pay a little e...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Shenanigans21
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed October 26, 2011

First night ruined by loud, drunk party people. Had to call the office (they couldn't help but hear the noise at 2:30AM) Room designed for family way too small and the sofa bed was Terrible both as a bed and as a sofa. Only one chair in two rooms!
Just not a good arrangement. Pool looked OK, beach was nice. Maybe the ocean view rooms are better, but the street side not good at all. Fortunately we just slept there and spent days elsewhere. I wouldn't go back there; Price not too high, but you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank anngray_11
Reviewed September 20, 2011

My review is based on the "pet friendlieness" motto this hotel claims to have. My husband and I always stay at La Quinta Inns while traveling with our 2 very small Maltese dogs and until now, our experiences have been wonderful. After checking in to our 2 room "suite" i noticed that there were MANY small improvements that could be made. The furniture was in disrepair, 2 of the lights were not working, there was an odd smell in the room, and the door separating the 2 bedrooms was in terrible condition. The bottom of it was dirty and it had several places where spots had been repainted. The main door latch was also broken.

We then decided to take our dogs out to potty and soon realized they were not allowed in the only grassy area on the entire property. I can understand not wanting pets near the pool area, but at a PET FRIENDLY hotel you would think they would have some designated place to use as a dog walk area. When I inquired at the front desk i was very nicely told that the only place available was a postage stamp sized landscaped area in front of the hotel, right on the street behind the welcome sign... While inside i noticed the LONG list of pet policies this hotel has; none of which are posted on their website. Apparently they reserve the right to charge you $100 per complaint they receive about your pet. Pretty friendly, huh?

The location of this hotel and the pool and beach access are great, but I would not return even without my dogs. Their only saving grace was that we were only staying 1 night and due to a promo only paid $77 plus taxes. I absolutely would not recommend this place if you are traveling with pets!

• Stayed September 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Very nice, clean rooms. Staff was friendly. Beds were very comfortable. After having a bad experience on the first night of our vacation at a different hotel we dicided to check out and find somewhere else to stay. The La Quina Inn and Suites Daytona Beach saved our vacation. We will go back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family