“I don't write reviews EVER!!!!!!”

Holiday Inn Resort Daytona Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #5 of 74 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I'm priority club member for 14 years and live holiday inn on the road. Platium member many years in a row now. I needed to take kids on vacation and was looking for decent deal on a very busy spring break week. I called HIR Daytona beach and don't remember young ladies name but got awesome service suite blocked out on 7th floor months in advance. When I arrived there was a mistake but it was so professionally handled no need for details. This staff is 100% customer centered. The place is awesome if I talked to one family during the 8 days I talked to 60 and not one had anything but positive things to say. The pool is awesome and you can't get them that way anymore as the trail lawyers and liability keep them at 4 feet deep this one is 10 ft 6 inches build many years ago and here when HIR took over. My kids had a blast you hardly have to leave. Sure hotel food is never great but they have decent breakfast and lunch. The rooms are spacious we had a suite but I was told that all rooms plenty big. We will return great vacation spot with all you need.you can't find a better staff anywhere and the maid service is off the charts they accomplish what needs to be done all the late check outs do not deter them.

Room Tip: I like the suites on north end and up high great viwe
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Tony D
Kberthiaume, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Resort Daytona Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

WoW!! Thank you very much for an awesome review. This is what makes me happy to come to work everyday are comments like this. I am thrilled that you had such a memorable experience and I can't wait to welcome you back. Thank you very much for sharing.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,626)

Reviewed April 6, 2012

We planned this vacation for a year, and it was a disaster from day 1. We were given room 616 on arrival which had a severe roach problem. The night manager was wonderful, but the day manager Randi Roberts was less than friendly and some of her staff were downright rude throughout our stay. we were told room 616 would be sprayed and we were given room 515 the next day. While moving our things, my wife walked in on an elderly couple getting dressed. apparently they gave us both the same room, so back downstairs once again with all of our luggage in tow and we were moved to room 717 which seemed ok until day 4 when i woke up early in the morning and saw roaches and silverfish in the bathroom and shower.
Apparently they have a roach problem due to the rooms being efficiencies and people bringing food during their stay. Don't get me wrong, the renovated hotel is nice. But this is no excuse for their unprofessionalism and poor customer service. I expect this sort of treatment from say a super 8 motel, not a holiday inn resort. I have stayed at many holiday inns and have never experienced the problems i did at this hotel so i'm sure it is an isolated incident. Guess ill stick with Mariott from now on.
Also, due to the pool gate to the beach area being unsecured and unmonitored, there is quite a large number of youths and people from the beach taking advantage of the hotel's pool and spa. By my count, there were at least 20 unsupervised children in the pool area. ANOTHER accident waiting to happen.
Sadly, the beach was littered with trash every night and while some of it was picked it up, alot of trash remained and it was evident from all of the birds scouring the beach. On a side note, Ormond beach is 15 mins north and quite secluded, clean and beautiful.Also, A large number of beach shops and stores lining the daytona strip were closed or had gone out of business and The boardwalk pier was closed for renovations, since we didnt want to deal with the traffic, our sightseeing options were limited.
The renovated hotel is nice at first glance, but masks the underlying problems of a poorly trained staff overwhelmed with day to day operations of such a large hotel and it becomes evident in its treatment of guests. Also, despite leaving a very generous tip for our server, he never once returned to check on us or the other family seated next to us. The hotel seems more concerned with turnover and enhancing their bottom line as i later learned room 616 was booked by another family within an hour and half of our switching rooms, so i doubt the roach and silverfish problem was treated for the next guests. With the new renovation, this resort has the potential to become a wonderful destination but ownership dropped the ball with the poorly trained management and staff and in my opinion falls short of a "resort".
I took pictures of the roaches with my camera phone, because Ms. Roberts seemed not to believe us, and despite bringing these issues to the attention of ownership and management, their response was pretty much, "sorry, but we can offer you some excellent discounted rates on your next stay!" Heh. While i'm sure, judging from the many positive comments on here, many families had a wonderful stay, unfortunately, ours was not one of them.

9  Thank justin c
Kberthiaume, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Resort Daytona Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2012

I am sorry about your experience, but after further converstaion with you I found out was most upsetting was that you had to pay taxes on an alreay free stay as you were touring for a time share prsentation. I am sorry that you did not understand all of the rules, but your comments certainly are not at all in line with what our property is all about. I wish that because you were upset about one issue that you would not go to an extreme on other issues. I know we are not a roach motel nor do we have a rude staff. Our beach is beautiful. I am glad that people understand that there are always people out there using other motives to make us look bad so just look at the majority of comments and you will see truly what our hotel has to offer.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

Becky at the front desk is the best. She actually called a resturant to see if they were open late for us. When we arrived they were at the door waiting for us(Chart House). We were informed during the meal that Becky had ordered and was covering the payment of lava cake for dessert for us!!!
Everyone at the front desk was wonderful but this was special.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

We train our staff a lot about customer service because no matter what type of product you have customer service will always set you apart from everyone else . It sounds like mission accomplished. I will pass this along to our staff. They work hard and appreciate comments like yours.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

Quite a busy hotel but the room was quiet. All fixtures were new - bed was very comfortable, bathroom was very well equipped. Balcony overlooked the pool and beach - very pleasant.
The big disappointment was the restaurant food and service. We ordered one drink and none came near us after that for about an hour. We had to buttonhole someone to get a menu - it took ages for someone to takes our order adn another long period of time for the food to arrive. When it came, it was poor in presentation and quality. The waitress did apologise later for the inadequacy of the service. After going back to the room to sleep, we had to listen to a dreadful singer on the patio - eventually we complained and someone shut him up.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your concern and experience. I want to first apologize that the food was not up to the standards that you should of received. I will definitely look into this. This is not the service that we wish to be known for. I did not hear anything bad about the rest of the hotel so I hope that your stay overall was a memorable one and will please come back again.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

This hotel is right on the beach. The oceanfront suite we had was spacious and clean, and had a lovely balcony. It was also very quiet due to the soundproofing. The staff there are the best. By the second day Becky (at the front desk) knew my name and was very helpful. We ate dinner at the restaurant (outside) and the food was reasonably priced and quite tasty. The location is close to the downtown Daytona Beach but actually very quiet which made it nice for us. There is also a 711 right across the street where we bought snacks and beverages. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Higher floors will have a better view and less noise.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Nice clean spot with a great oceanfront location. Our family had a nice short stay here. Our room was big, had a nice balcony, and was very clean. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Restaurant was satisfactory for dinner and excellent for breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Kberthiaume, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Resort Daytona Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2012

We definitely take great pride in providing you a clean hotel that is priority1. We also take great pride in offering you your complete satisfaction while you are staying with us. We want you back and become your only choice so know that we are always working hard to ensure that we satisfy every guest every time. Thank you for you wonderful comment.

Reviewed April 2, 2012

Since we were traveling to Miami for our cruise departure,we decided to leave a little early and stop for the night. We had never been to Daytona, so decided to make this our layover. Found the Holiday Inn on my credit card discount and then did some checking on tripadvisor and decided to give it a try. Too bad we only had 1 evening here. The hotel was nice and right on the ocean. If we ever come back this way we will definitely come back here !!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Well we are glad that you found us and you definitely need more than one day to enjoy our resort. I am glad you had such a nice stay next time come and stay a few days.